grim22

Ready Player One | March 29, 2018 | Spielberg directing | No untagged spoilers allowed

Not really, WB probably thought it would be better not to go against Star Wars and also likely Spielberg wanted more time for the visual effects to be finished.

Disagree. People were desperate to have other movies to watch besides Star Wars last December. RPO could have used the holiday legs.

1 hour ago, Jonwo said:

So many people were gunning for it to be a flop or terrible but have remained quietly when it's been received well and performed well. 

Many people had their knives out for it. Its success can only be a good thing for the box office, though.

• Like 1

47 minutes ago, Fancyarcher said:

Many people had their knives out for it. Its success can only be a good thing for the box office, though.

It also proves Spielberg is still capable of directing a blockbuster. Even with doing boffo business in China, I do wonder if WB will want a sequel? Ernest Cline is writing a sequel to the book but I imagine they'll want Spielberg to direct it and I suspect he won't be available until late 2020/early 2021 at the earliest.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Jonwo said:

It also proves Spielberg is still capable of directing a blockbuster. Even with doing boffo business in China, I do wonder if WB will want a sequel? Ernest Cline is writing a sequel to the book but I imagine they'll want Spielberg to direct it and I suspect he won't be available until late 2020/early 2021 at the earliest.

I never doubted Spielberg's skills at directing a blockbuster, he's still a pro at that sort of thing.

I'd rather not have a sequel. I think the first film wrapped up things good, and works well as a standalone film, but if Spielberg thinks there's potential to do a sequel, I wouldn't object. 

• Like 3

4 minutes ago, Fancyarcher said:

I never doubted Spielberg's skills at directing a blockbuster, he's still a pro at that sort of thing.

I'd rather not have a sequel. I think the first film wrapped up things good, and works well as a standalone film, but if Spielberg thinks there's potential to do a sequel, I wouldn't object. 

That's how I think about a sequel as well. If Spielberg is in for it then so am I. Otherwise? Eh... I'd probably still watch it if the book itself turns out well but I wouldn't have much hopes for the movie to be as good as this one without him.

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, Fancyarcher said:

I imagine WB will probably want to see what Ernest Cline has come up with the book sequel first before they commit to a film sequel. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Mojoguy said:

Disagree. People were desperate to have other movies to watch besides Star Wars last December. RPO could have used the holiday legs.

That's easy to say in hindsight, but remember what happened to everything that went up against Star Wars two years earlier.

• Like 1

33 minutes ago, Jonwo said:

I imagine WB will probably want to see what Ernest Cline has come up with the book sequel first before they commit to a film sequel. 

That's fair. I just hope they don't push to do the sequel immediately. 

35 minutes ago, Arlborn said:

That's how I think about a sequel as well. If Spielberg is in for it then so am I. Otherwise? Eh... I'd probably still watch it if the book itself turns out well but I wouldn't have much hopes for the movie to be as good as this one without him.

Spielberg knows how to thrill and entertain like pretty much no other director working today. If they did a sequel, and he didn't direct, it probably wouldn't be as good, though I'd still be interested in seeing it. 

Edited by Fancyarcher

21 minutes ago, Fancyarcher said:

That's fair. I just hope they don't push to do the sequel immediately. 

Spielberg knows how to thrill and entertain like pretty much no other director working today. If they did a sequel, and he didn't direct, it probably wouldn't be as good, though I'd still be interested in seeing it. 

I suspect if they want Spielberg again, they'll be willing to wait. I think if he doesn't do the sequel then I think Robert Zemeckis would be a solid replacement even though he hasn't directed a big blockbusters in ages, my other choice would be Edgar Wright

38 minutes ago, Jonwo said:

I suspect if they want Spielberg again, they'll be willing to wait. I think if he doesn't do the sequel then I think Robert Zemeckis would be a solid replacement even though he hasn't directed a big blockbusters in ages, my other choice would be Edgar Wright

Zemeckis would be a good choice, oddly, I also think Jon Favreau could be a solid choice to direct a sequel. 

Edited by Fancyarcher

After nearly a week since seeing it, I'm not quite as high on it as I was right after leaving the theatre. It's damn entertaining and pretty well-made. The action and effects are awesome, the story is interesting and the references and nods are golden. But I just never really got involved with the characters, and there was a large chunk after the first act where it took me a bit to get back into it. 

• Like 2

I doubt the Beard will direct the sequel, probably drop this franchise off to others and just produce/collect checks like he's done on the Jurassic Park franchise after 1997. 

13 hours ago, DAJK said:

After nearly a week since seeing it, I'm not quite as high on it as I was right after leaving the theatre. It's damn entertaining and pretty well-made. The action and effects are awesome, the story is interesting and the references and nods are golden. But I just never really got involved with the characters, and there was a large chunk after the first act where it took me a bit to get back into it. 

I saw it a second time and liked it even more. The characters are thin, but the visuals+spectacle really carry it.

Edited by HockeyPads
  • Like 2

11 minutes ago, Jay Hollywood said:

No way the Berg comes back more like he takes and EP credit and Colin Trevorrow takes over 

This imo, he is 71 and has like 10 projects already on a to do list, burning life year's on a sequel can happen on something like a Indy 5 with the objective to is legacy sake to not have had that franchise end on the Indy 4 note, but on a RPO 2.....

• Like 1