grim22

Ready Player One | March 29, 2018 | Spielberg directing | No untagged spoilers allowed

20 minutes ago, WrathOfHan said:

Movies in the top 12 that dropped under 50% against the top openers (expansions excluded):

The Force Awakens: Mockingjay (-48.1%), Spotlight (-43.2%)

The Last Jedi: Coco (-46.1%), Wonder (-38.1%), Daddy's Home (-35.6%), Lady Bird (-39.2%)

Jurassic World: Spy (-46.3%), Pitch Perfect 2 (-15.5%), Fury Road (-48.1%), Age of Ultron (-42%), Love and Mercy (-21.2%)

Black Panther: Everything except Fifty Shades, Maze Runner, and Winchester

Age of Ultron: Cinderella (-0.7%)

Civil War: The Jungle Book (-44%), Mothers Day (+32.5%), Zootopia (-39.7%), MBFGW2 (-41.8%), Eye in the Sky (-38.3%)

Many of these had double features or were still only a few points below 50%. Age of Ultron's weekend is probably the most damning comp with only a Disney movie dropping under 50%. The only blockbuster from a different studio than the opener to drop less than 45% was AOU on JW's weekend.

Also, Blade Runner 2049 dropped 44% in weekend 4, 43.6% in weekend 5 against Thor: Ragnarok, and 37% in weekend six.

1 minute ago, Thematrixfilm said:

Also, Blade Runner 2049 dropped 44% in weekend 4, 43.6% in weekend 5 against Thor: Ragnarok, and 37% in weekend six.

I mean, Infinity War is going to open double of Ragnarok, so is it a strong comp? :lol: 

6 hours ago, MovieMan89 said:

On the talk of a sequel, everyone here that has pushed back so hard on Tomb Raider's sequel chances should realize this is in a virtually identical boat. Both movies will finish with around 3x their budgets WW, but only about 0.65x their budgets DOM. And this was a way bigger investment than TR, so there's more at stake. 

I honestly don't see RPO getting a sequel but it isn't in the same boat because it's word of mouth is better. Tomb Raider wish that it had a 74% RT rating and more importantly dropped 41% in it's second weekend and was headed for 200+mil in China and many millions more elsewhere. 

8 hours ago, kowhite said:

I could buy Zemeckis.  Dubious on Wright (unless he’s said something about the property I’m unaware of).

How cool would it be to have Zemekis direct the sequel

Spoiler

and have the Zemekis cube make another appearance?

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, baumer said:

How cool would it be to have Zemekis direct the sequel

Reveal hidden contents

Spoiler

Zemeckis should have the Spielberg cube

• Like 1

The thing is, as @kowhite has said many times, no one really knows what a budget is on a film.  Yes, we can only go by what is reported but often, they never reveal what the budget truly is.  So if @MovieMan89 wants to go with 200 million because it's fits his narrative, then so be it.  I've read from three different sources that the budget was 150-175.  So I'm going to stick with that.  It will come close to hitting it's budget from domestic alone.  With a nice drop of 41% for the second weekend, it should challenge for a 3.7X and that will put it at about 165. With a total of around 600-650 WW, it will do what it needed to do in order for everyone involved to see a profit.  If we are going by the 3X the budget, then the break even point should be 525.  There's no question it's going to reach that point.  

Movies are expensive these days.  I think it's insane how much money they spend on them but the reality is, a movie like RPO has 100's of people working on it.  And that obviously inflates budgets.  I'm not saying anything you guys don't already know.  I'm just not sure why some people are trying to claim that this is going to be a loss for WB.  It's not and it won't be.

And here's another thing.....we won't know this, because I don't think they will ever mention it in the future, but a lot of the movies that they hit on in the film are WB properties.  It is possible that people go out and buy those films now to check them out.  There's another reason the film's budget might be so high.  In other words, this film is free marketing for other WB properties.  

Just a thought. 

• Like 7
  • Thanks 1

53 minutes ago, Zakiyyah6 said:

I honestly don't see RPO getting a sequel but it isn't in the same boat because it's word of mouth is better. Tomb Raider wish that it had a 74% RT rating and more importantly dropped 41% in it's second weekend and was headed for 200+mil in China and many millions more elsewhere. 

The writer is making a sequel of the book so I think it is very possible, even if its not Spielberg doing it. It's at 400M worldwide in a week and a half - while it would be great to stand on its own like other spielberg blockbusters, in a reality where everything has to be a franchise, a 600M+ movie would be looking pretty lovely for WB to be making a new franchise. 

• Like 4

6 hours ago, MovieMan89 said:

Who said anything about it being comparable to WiT? And I've never once heard the $150m number. $175m was what was reported for a long time, but more recent reports were suggesting 200m. 

Deadline reported that Ready Player One needed about $440 million dollars worldwide to be profitable. They estimate production + P&A to be be 300-325 million for the film.

http://deadline.com/2018/04/ready-player-one-steven-spielberg-opening-weekend-box-office-1202318581/

As of the close of this weekend 4-8-18 here is where the movie stands.

Total Lifetime Grosses

Domestic: $96,484,703   24.5%

+ Foreign: $297,100,000   75.5%

= Worldwide: $393,584,703 

http://www.boxofficemojo.com/movies/?id=readyplayerone.htm

Deadline's numbers are estimates. Regardless, it looks like Ready Player One will have no trouble being profitable. If the movie has not broken even by now it clearly soon will. This means basically all of the money this movie earns after this week will be on the profitable side of the ledger.

Ready Player One is doing great.

Edited by Green245
  • Like 3

Not that I need a sequel (even though I really liked this movie) but the author did confirm he's already making a second book and it may be done even by this year.  So never know, a sequel could pop up in a few years

Edited by 75Live

10 minutes ago, 75Live said:

Not that I need a sequel (even though I really liked this movie) but the author did confirm he's already making a second book and it may be done even by this year.  So never know, a sequel could pop up in a few years

We'll likely find out if there will be a sequel once the book comes out. Could be before of course but the first couple of months after the book is out is probably the limit to get a sequel confirmation.

@baumer Please don't accuse me of some kind of "narrative" when everything I had read prior had given $175-200m budget range, so naturally that's what I thought the budget was. That's great if you saw sources that said $150m, I just hadn't seen them. It's not more of a narrative than what you're saying. I didn't even say it wouldn't be profitable. All I said was with a budget in that range, it would be doing about 3x its budget WW and maybe something like .65-.7x DOM. Not terribly dissimilar from Tomb Raider. If that's not really the budget then clearly those stats would no longer be accurate. 

• Like 2

I didn't want to post this last week because I was sure my excitement would wane, but it hasn't - this is Silvestri's best score. Fantastic melodies, thrilling action music, a touch of nostalgia that's never cloying - a 5/5 score. Give him the Avatar sequels tbh.

• Like 8

18 hours ago, ddddeeee said:

I didn't want to post this last week because I was sure my excitement would wane, but it hasn't - this is Silvestri's best score. Fantastic melodies, thrilling action music, a touch of nostalgia that's never cloying - a 5/5 score. Give him the Avatar sequels tbh.

Stan, babe.

Love you, my cooch misses you.

• Thanks 1
  • Disbelief 1

imo the minimum global cume is looking around

150 Dom

215 China

185 CurrentOS-China

30 Germany+Japan (12.5+17.5)

= 580

It could do 5-10 more in each of those 4 categories for 20-40 more and 600-620 ww.

• Like 1