grim22

Ready Player One | March 29, 2018 | Spielberg directing | No untagged spoilers allowed

Gut says that this won't be big but I don't think it will fall below that unadjusted 70-80m range that Spielberg has been frequently hitting (albeit with different genres, budgets, etc) since AI ^_^ .... hoping 26-27m ow / 2.6-2.7x / ~70m dom is the low-end. 40m ow / ~3x / 120m dom optimistically.

Edited by a2knet

Is this in 3D?

Because I think going the Tron Legacy route (real world in 2D/virtual world in 3D) to make the "Oasis" enticing (it looks like a hideous epilepsy-inducing hell) is the only way to make this appealing to GA beyond hardcore gamers and nostalgia geek quadrant.

Cue someone saying everybody hates 3D and want it to die. Well, then RIP RPO.

Edited by dashrendar44

1 hour ago, dashrendar44 said:

Is this in 3D?

Because I think going the Tron Legacy route (real world in 2D/virtual world in 3D) to make the "Oasis" enticing (it looks like a hideous epilepsy-inducing hell) is the only way to make this appealing to GA beyond hardcore gamers and nostalgia geek quadrant.

Cue someone saying everybody hates 3D and want it to die. Well, then RIP RPO.

Yes. (Also, 3D sucks)

2 hours ago, cookie said:

To be fair we've only had one trailer...

Exactly and it's not out until late March! Given how VFX heavy this film will be, I'm not surprised we haven't seen much footage. 

5 hours ago, a2knet said:

Gut says that this won't be big but I don't think it will fall below that unadjusted 70-80m range that Spielberg has been frequently hitting (albeit with different genres, budgets, etc) since AI ^_^ .... hoping 26-27m ow / 2.6-2.7x / ~70m dom is the low-end. 40m ow / ~3x / 120m dom optimistically.

Given how expensive this film likely will be, a $26-27m OW would be pretty awful. I imagine WB are hoping for double that.

• Like 2

39 minutes ago, That One Guy said:

I hope the second trailer is much better.  Most of the Comic-Con trailer has honestly soured as it's sat with me and the only thing that sticks out is that race sequence towards the end.  I trust in Spielberg to deliver though.

I expect the second trailer is likely more plot heavy and likely feature the characters who didn't appear in the first trailer. 

Indy 5 aside, there is a part of me that wishes this is Spielberg's last big-budget "blockbuster".

Also, I've seen the first 10 minutes of BFG three times because I could never get past that. I think it might be something that has to wait until the post-death retrospective. 

20 minutes ago, RichWS said:

Indy 5 aside, there is a part of me that wishes this is Spielberg's last big-budget "blockbuster".

Also, I've seen the first 10 minutes of BFG three times because I could never get past that. I think it might be something that has to wait until the post-death retrospective. 

I almost fell asleep watching that film about halfway through... so there's that.