grim22

Ready Player One | March 29, 2018 | Spielberg directing | No untagged spoilers allowed

8 minutes ago, dashrendar44 said:

Nothing says more kid friendly than syringe sedated Elsa being knocked up by Spider-Man, kidnapped and tied to a tree while the Joker set her on fire.

jay-leno-takes-a-jab-at-nbc-over-reduced

"To be fair, that's the only way some of us can get off. Right, Kev?"

Kevineubanks.jpg

"Come on, man!"

• Like 3
  • Haha 6

I agree that the OASIS should look A LOT more colored than that. Isn't it supposed to be a virtual world designed for global escapism? Why does it look so similar to the appropriately "favela"-ized (to use a Brazilian reference) Columbus, then?

Besides that, even though I kinda liked the Comic Con trailer (apart from the obnoxiously arrogant part where it said "the ultimate oasis of pop culture" or something like that), and even though I read the novel and had my good dose of fun with it - is it literary gold? Of course not, it ain't no Odyssey or anything like that... but it is amusing enough -, this.... this didn't do much for me. It looks cute, I guess?

Tye Sheridan looks like he'll be good in the part. The race for the Easter Egg looks like it might be intense, especially with Ben "King of OTT Hamming" Mendelsohn as the villain. And, the video game-like style of the visuals doesn't bother me because... well, it IS basically a video game, so it makes perfect sense. The real world does also look close enough to what I envisioned it to be.

But apart from that, it just looks like the young adult movie I feared it would be stylized as, with the overdone "grey and colorless dystopian world gloom and doom that could be rescued through a game of survival played by some ya's". It's literally the type of film that might try to distract you with "HEY LOOK, IT'S DEATHSTROKE! HOLY SHIT, A DELOREAN! MY GAWD, THE TRON BIKE!" in order to make you forget if it has any flaws. I don't know, I'm skeptical. But I still think it's gonna breakout big box office-wise.

Edited by MCKillswitch123
  • Like 1

45 minutes ago, WeneedtotalkaboutKevin said:

Scotty's reactions said it all. I feel like Spielberg is just trolling WB...

You would, wouldn't you? You would.

Sensing negative RT score incoming for this one. Something along the lines of "so meta, so edgy, so many shallow references and yet so empty of any real feeling" for most critics would be my guess. That's the kind of work that is very easy to dismiss and nitpick to death if you just aren't in that sweet spot while watching(and reading) it. It is what it is.