grim22

Ready Player One | March 29, 2018 | Spielberg directing | No untagged spoilers allowed

http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/heat-vision/steven-spielbergs-ready-player-one-821728

Olivia Cooke, who starred in Me and Earl and the Dying Girl, has nabbed the female lead inSteven Spielberg’s Ready Player One and is in negotiations.

Warner Bros. and Village Roadshow are behind the movie, which adapts the best-selling sci-fi novel by Ernie Cline, and is in the thick of searching for its stars.

The story is set in a virtual world called Oasis in which a teenager finds himself competing in a treasure hunt against ruthless foes after the game's founder dies and offers his fortune as the grand prize.

• Like 1

http://www.usatoday.com/story/life/movies/2015/10/11/steven-spielberg-ready-player-one-movie/73378638/

Spielberg says it's “very trippy” to be an influence on himself in a way, “but I’m not making this movie to remind people of my ‘80s movies. I may leave most of them out!”

Instead of being attracted to the wheelhouse he helped build in the past, Spielberg liked Ready Player One because of how it looked ahead and imagined how society will gets its entertainment, maybe sooner than later.

The director explains the movie, which will begin filming in June for a Dec. 15, 2017 release and has cast Olivia Cooke (Me and Earl and the Dying Girl) as its female lead, is “a crystal ball into exactly what is going to be happening not in 30 or 40 years but in between 5 and 10 years from now, where a virtual world becomes almost like a drug of choice and where we are spending more time in a nonorganic space than we are breathing and eating and interacting in real life."

Spielberg sees it in his own existence often, when his kids bring friends to the house.

“They socialize for about a half hour, and it gets very quiet,” he says. “I walk into the kitchen and eight or nine girls are sitting around and they’re all looking at their phones, Snapchatting and texting and Twittering and reading. It’s all become so introverted.

“This movie is going to show why it’s interesting not living in the real world but what we’re missing by not,” Spielberg adds. “It’s a cautionary tale but it’s also a big rockin’ adventure movie, too.”

Really glad Spielberg is going deeper on this theme.

The book sets up an interesting premise where humanity pretty much ran away from its messed up world by living it up in OASIS, but the characters soon realize that while being in the OASIS empowers them to be heroes rising up against a nasty corporation, they're better off facing the music of the real world. In a sense, it's a very similar story arc to Wall-E, but it's masked more as a crazy 80s adventure.

5 minutes ago, TalismanRing said:

WB have The Flash opening 3/23.   They'll have to move that at a least another week away, probably two if they want IMAX

They may just move Flash to the Presidents Day weekend. They have something else opening March 2nd

Edit: Flash moved a week early

• Like 1