The Stingray

It Follows | Horror | Feb. 2015

This may crash and burn from here on out. A few nice TV spots and good reviews don't mean much, the film is not caputring the zeitgeist and that's what it needs to grow at this point.

Lots of people I know are talking about it. That rarely happens. 

I think it finishes with just under $20M. Pretty underwhelmed. Another retro 80s horror set in a John Carpenter universe from a thirtysomething director trying to recreate a John Carpenter film more than make a film of his own. Concept's a dandy though. I don't see this playing with an audience much wider than the audience it reached already. Lacked the fun, freshness of some of the other more recent retro-genre flicks You're Next, Drive, Guest, etc. But, creepy as hell and confidently realized. B-/B.

Edited by JohnnyGossamer
  • Like 1

Why not?

It's an art film through and through. The average moviegoer will not like the pacing and narrative, and that's clearly reflected by it failing to take off after two weekends in wide release. It's still a major success though, already $8.5 million and on a $2 million budget.

• Like 1

It's an art film through and through. The average moviegoer will not like the pacing and narrative, and that's clearly reflected by it failing to take off after two weekends in wide release. It's still a major success though, already $8.5 million and on a $2 million budget.

Also, I could be mistaken, but didn't it also decrease in gross this past weekend even after widening the release?

Also, I could be mistaken, but didn't it also decrease in gross this past weekend even after widening the release?

It gained far less theaters this week compared to going wide last week, but yeah it fell 35%.

This is the kind of movie where a bigger studio and bigger marketing campaign could have opened it wide to $20 million, but then regardless of actual quality it would have crashed and burned after OW and maybe even missed $40 million total.

• Like 1

Hmm. Looks a promising movie! Maybe the sequel can explode?