Neo

Alien: Covenant | 5/19/2017 | Who needs mystery?

3 hours ago, picores said:

BOM has a budget of 97m for this, lower than the 111m previously talked.

I wonder if the $111m figure is inclusive of the tax rebate they received for shooting in Aus. 

Prometheus' budget is listed at around $130m but that was made for closer to $150m including the money they received from tax incentives in the UK.

• Like 1

Just finished watching the movie.....Really dug the story and some of the performances. Fassbender, Cudrup, Waterson and McBride were awesome. Remaining were cannon fodder. Didnt like the look of engineers at all. They were majestical in Prometheus but the story, acting and death scenes in this were awesome so it trumps Prometheus for me. Aliens remains my favourite and then this.

1. Aliens

2. Alien covenant

3. Alien

4. Prometheus

5.  Alien resurrection

Just curious if the death scenes in the US version were any more gruesome? For example the shower scene.....Did they show the alien penetrate um....u know where i am going with this cuz in the next scene Daniels appeared absolutely disgustingly shocked...

2 hours ago, Jessie said:

People put alien on too much of a pedastal. That moment where that woman gets killed is dumb as fuck. She literally stands and stares for a minute before getting munched, didnt even try to avoid it. Now imagine a character from prometheus doing that, you lot would bitch so much about it

Aliens is better imo because it still manages to be intense despite a trained army of badasses being involved. Also the end was more plausible, ripley going back to save newt was far more convincing and intense than ripley going back to save an angry fucking cat. That cat was pure fucking evil

I wonder if Redlettermedia and the trending internet film ""criticism"" has retarded people's minds. :) 

There is clearly a reason for Ripley to go back and save her cat (I would too... if the cat was a dog).
And regarding the "plothole" (hate that word) that is the paralyzed woman. Either she was paralyzed/shocked or maybe she was trapped in a corner or maybe the alien held on to her. We didn't see it in the frame but you gotta go outside the frame to understand a picture sometimes. 

• Like 1

38 minutes ago, Amadeus said:

I wonder if Redlettermedia and the trending internet film ""criticism"" has retarded people's minds. :) 

There is clearly a reason for Ripley to go back and save her cat (I would too... if the cat was a dog).
And regarding the "plothole" (hate that word) that is the paralyzed woman. Either she was paralyzed/shocked or maybe she was trapped in a corner or maybe the alien held on to her. We didn't see it in the frame but you gotta go outside the frame to understand a picture sometimes. 

Im not sure what you mean with your first paragraph but i read retarded so im going to take it as a sign of disrespect and simply reply with a polite fuck you.

As for the film, dont try and defend it, I literally watched the movie yesterday. She was able to escape. The black dude even kept telling her to move out the way so he could attack but nah, she just froze like a typical old school slasher movie. It reminded me of the steam roller scene in austin powers. As for the cat, if it was that loved why did it spend what seemed to be years of travrlling locked in a fucking box? How is it alive? What was it eating? It was just a last minute decision to add a cat in the movie for a quick jump but despite its presence making no sense.

Now look, Alien is a good movie but lets not pretend its a perfect movie with no dumb moments because they are clearly there

Edited by Jessie

1 hour ago, Jessie said:

Im not sure what you mean with your first paragraph but i read retarded so im going to take it as a sign of disrespect and sinpmy reply with a polite fuck you.

As for the film, dont try and defend it, I literally watched the movie yesterday. She was able to escape. The black dude even kept telling her to move out the way so he could attack but nah, she just froze like a typical old school slasher movie. It reminded me of the steam roller scene in austin powers. As for the cat, if it was that loved why did it spend what seemed to be years of travrlling locked in a fucking box? How is it alive? What was it eating? It was just a last minute decision to add a cat in the movie for a quick jump but thay cat being there made no fucking sense

Now look, Alien is a good movie but kets not pretend its a perfect movie with no dumb moments because they are clearly there

Sorry! Didn't mean to upset you. It's just that Scot probably wanted to make a 70's slasher wherein people act irrational because of genre conventions. As a slasher it's flawless and as film and it also happens to have some great ideas (cinematic and storywise). What I mean is that RLM and others imply that the most important thing in movie criticism is what the viewer thinks of the work rather than what the director wants the work to be. Often you hear comments like "it wasn't what I thought/wanted it to be", and those kinds of comments are childish. 

14 minutes ago, Amadeus said:

Sorry! Didn't mean to upset you. It's just that Scot probably wanted to make a 70's slasher wherein people act irrational because of genre conventions. As a slasher it's flawless and as film and it also happens to have some great ideas (cinematic and storywise). What I mean is that RLM and others imply that the most important thing in movie criticism is what the viewer thinks of the work rather than what the director wants the work to be. Often you hear comments like "it wasn't what I thought/wanted it to be", and those kinds of comments are childish. 

I wasn't upset, i was joking around but thank you for your concern. At the end of the day alien ks still a very good movie (which just so happened to spawn a better sequel :p) no wonder rodley scott wasn't too keen on it or the blomkamp idea, no director wants their film being remembered due to the sequel they didnt make

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Jessie said:

I find the david story/creating of the aliens and the engineers involvment far more interesting than the first 2 alien movies.

Alien 1 and 2 have very simple plots which makes them more pure but i dont think they have better stories.

Yep. I understand. We all have different tsste.

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, Jake Gittes said:

Cartwright's character is clearly the most easily freaked out of the crew from the start. Unlike Ripley, it's 100% in character for her to get paralyzed with fear at the sight of the alien. 

Sorry but we all have human instincts, theres a big difference between being scared/shocked and being a dumb fuck

1 hour ago, marveldcfox said:

Just finished watching the movie.....Really dug the story and some of the performances. Fassbender, Cudrup, Waterson and McBride were awesome. Remaining were cannon fodder. Didnt like the look of engineers at all. They were majestical in Prometheus but the story, acting and death scenes in this were awesome so it trumps Prometheus for me. Aliens remains my favourite and then this.

1. Aliens

2. Alien covenant

3. Alien

4. Prometheus

5.  Alien resurrection

I haven't really seen the trailers but be careful with spoilers. 

1 minute ago, DeeCee said:

The whole concept of actual people caring about a cat blew my mind in Alien. 

Plus the smoking. The constant smoking in every Alien film. 

If i was being chased my an alien i think id have a smoke too

"Alien 3" has it flaws of course and it was hard to match up against two back to back Masterpiece Classics.  But I still enjoyed the movie for bringing it back to the cerebral and claustrophobic feel of the first film.  I also liked that Ripley and the Prisoners had to use their "minds" to beat the Alien instead of having a million guns (Even though that didn't help the Marines).  Also the "Dog Xenomorph" was probably the biggest bada$$, he was running on walls and was pretty strong.   

And the ending with the Ripley and Bishop II and her sacrifice to save the Universe. The ending was powerful because after Hicks and Newts death it was like she had nothing to lose.  Also having the Alien inside her matched up with her nightmares in "Aliens".   I still think this was one of the best scenes of the franchise.  I was scared as hell at this scene.  Sigourney face screamed terror, it was very strong acting.   David would also go on to have an amazing career after this film.  I'm not shocked by the box office though looking back, it didn't get a great response at the time.  

Image result for Alien 3 gif

Edited by filmscholar