Neo

Alien: Covenant | 5/19/2017 | Who needs mystery?

• Community Manager
Just now, John Marston said:

critics seem to like it. Top critics rating is 84%.  Interesting there seems to be a divide on this forum and on RT this time

clearly Disney paid off the critics

• Like 5

I liked it for the "boring" stuff others don't like.   It's the questions and theories about the engineers I'm into now.   But the studio needs a body count and jump scares so of course that will dominate the run time.   Too bad, I wish they would let Ridley make a "boring" movie....but it is Fox after all.

• Like 2

45 minutes ago, Water Bottle said:

My rankings so far:

1) Aliens

2) Alien

3) Alien 3

4) Alien Resurrection

Will watch Prometheus tomorrow and Alien Covenant on Saturday. :)

What about Alien vs Predator? And let's not forget AVP2. 

2 hours ago, DeeCee said:

What about Alien vs Predator? And let's not forget AVP2. 

If I were you, I wouldn't have tried to inflict so much misery on others by reminding them of those two movies.

By the way, watched this and was really let down. Terrible pacing, boring, and the xenomorphs aren't scary at all. Heck, that thing from Life is much more threatening than the xenos are in this movie. 5/10.

• Like 3

8 hours ago, Water Bottle said:

Okay gonna give Alien Resurrection a chance. Wish me luck? :P

imagegif

5 hours ago, Water Bottle said:

Wow still going through it but Alien Resurrection is terrible so far. Like atrocious.

Damnit! I should of warned you! Cover your eyes!

I'll post my more in depth review on RTM, but for here I'll say I gave it a 6/10, C rating. It wasn't flat out terrible as it had some good action sequences and some really nice set pieces, but other than that I hated the story. The plot to me was just too over the top, and although I liked some of the characters, they annoyed me more as really they made stupid decision after stupid decision. I can't say I'm dissapointed as I went in with little to expect, so my attitude to it is just blah. 

I guess what is frustrating about it is just the fact that these movies were suppose to anwser our questions, and yet this movie just made questions and the few "answers" Scott gave us I didn't like.

Lol the fans of this franchise don't know what they want. They expect some A grade masterpiece in today's day and age from a franchise that was never meant to be more than a B grade one with thrills and blood. Alien got horrible reviews and extremely mixed reaction from audience back in the day. It wasn't considered a cult classic until time passed and Aliens made alien a must see. 

12 minutes ago, K1stpierre said:

I'll post my more in depth review on RTM, but for here I'll say I gave it a 6/10, C rating. It wasn't flat out terrible as it had some good action sequences and some really nice set pieces, but other than that I hated the story. The plot to me was just too over the top, and although I liked some of the characters, they annoyed me more as really they made stupid decision after stupid decision. I can't say I'm dissapointed as I went in with little to expect, so my attitude to it is just blah. 

I guess what is frustrating about it is just the fact that these movies were suppose to anwser our questions, and yet this movie just made questions and the few "answers" Scott gave us I didn't like.

Yes... Way too many questions left unanswered. Like...

how did Walter create the eggs with the facehuggers? How did he know that scenario would create the perfect alien, the Xenomorph? This really annoyed me, because I feel like Ridley really wanted to show how you get the Xenomorph after seeing different ways to get a alien in Prometheus and Covenant...

Edited by Cookson

14 minutes ago, marveldcfox said:

Lol the fans of this franchise don't know what they want. They expect some A grade masterpiece in today's day and age from a franchise that was never meant to be more than a B grade one with thrills and blood. Alien got horrible reviews and extremely mixed reaction from audience back in the day. It wasn't considered a cult classic until time passed and Aliens made alien a must see. 

:wintf:

LOL NOPE

• Like 3

Believe it if you want or not, but in an interview in a french movie magazine (so no internet link to give you any receipts, sorry), at the time of the release of Prometheus, Scott admitted that he was drinking a lot during the making of that movie.

It s not like the giant making of the movie on the Blu-ray doesn't show a director who changes his mind on a day to day basis (all SFX & VFX artists  who worked on the film said so too, about how Scott would change things constantly, drastic changes I mean, not the skin color of the Alien or something), not knowing where he was going at all, doing things without any rhyme or reason.

Prometheus and AC are way too ambitious for their own good and Ridley, with his constant revisionism on Blade Runner has been convinced by cinephiles & critics has was a genius, which led him into thinking he could science the shit out of the sci-fi themes of these two movies with ease.

My conclusion is Ridley Scott suffers a serious  case of George Lucas syndrome, meaning he is an all too powerful & respected and admired Artist who has lost the plot for about 10 years, some say more, that nobody will confront ever on anything because, well, he is Ridley Scott, who do you think you are, Camera Operator B, screenwriter from Draft 8 ?

Edited by The Futurist
  • Like 1

The marketing for this has been outstanding. Especially it's an R-rated sci fi, Fox still pulled out all the stops.

- Good early viral campaign

- 2 effective trailers

- They have blitzed TV with spots. The NBA Playoffs, NHL Playoffs, prime time. Every time you change the channel there's an Alien spot.

- Promotional appearances on GMA, Fallon, etc. They even brought a Xenomorph onto James Corbin to do a skit.

- RT had a funny bit where a facehugger interviewed the cast.

- They also blitzed social media. Spotify presence, heavy Youtube presence, and they created an Alien Snapchat filter. I was asked about it from GA: "that Alien filter is creepy!"

- While those hashtags ended up being hilariously used for politics, it was still a good idea for Fox. And those gif emojis they created for it were pretty cute.

- Some other stuff.

The went all out for a movie that has been doubtful to open above $50M. Easily their best campaign since Deadpool. "Fox can't market."

• Like 4

34 minutes ago, jandrew said:

The marketing for this has been outstanding. Especially it's an R-rated sci fi, Fox still pulled out all the stops.

- Good early viral campaign

- 2 effective trailers

- They have blitzed TV with spots. The NBA Playoffs, NHL Playoffs, prime time. Every time you change the channel there's an Alien spot.

- Promotional appearances on GMA, Fallon, etc. They even brought a Xenomorph onto James Corbin to do a skit.

- RT had a funny bit where a facehugger interviewed the cast.

- They also blitzed social media. Spotify presence, heavy Youtube presence, and they created an Alien Snapchat filter. I was asked about it from GA: "that Alien filter is creepy!"

- While those hashtags ended up being hilariously used for politics, it was still a good idea for Fox. And those gif emojis they created for it were pretty cute.

- Some other stuff.

The went all out for a movie that has been doubtful to open above $50M. Easily their best campaign since Deadpool. "Fox can't market."

I feel they made a big mistake by pushing up the release date. Would have done better in August.

• Like 1