Neo

Alien: Covenant | 5/19/2017 | Who needs mystery?

30 minutes ago, Mockingjay Raphael said:

From what I'm seeing, WOM is toxic OS, it is having brutal drops around the world, and it seems DOM is following this too. I've never seen a case where public disagreed so much on Critics' opinion about a blockbuster as in this one. Actually, I still don't get how the hell this movie got good reviews at all. With a WW total that will be between $220m-$240m, I wonder if we're going to see a sequel?

Edit nvm I thought you had the opinion of someone else

Anyways, many are liking this. Different strokes and all.

Edited by WrathOfHan

I haven't been following OS numbers but going by what some of you are saying this is possibly staring at sub-250 WW?

That would be surprisingly bad.

However, might I meekly add that it's still good for a movie with prod budget of 97?

If it does 85 dom, the studio will get about 45. If it does 150 OS, then the studio will get 50+ form OS.

So if WW covers the prod budget and marketing is left to auxiliary, aren't the movies always considered profitable?

6 minutes ago, WrathOfHan said:

Anyways, many are liking this. Different strokes and all.

The ones that are seeing it...

As someone already said, I expect FOX to seriously consider giving Blomkamp/Weaver's project another chance, now...

13 minutes ago, a2knet said:

I haven't been following OS numbers but going by what some of you are saying this is possibly staring at sub-250 WW?

That would be surprisingly bad.

However, might I meekly add that it's still good for a movie with prod budget of 97?

If it does 85 dom, the studio will get about 45. If it does 150 OS, then the studio will get 50+ form OS.

So if WW covers the prod budget and marketing is left to auxiliary, aren't the movies always considered profitable?

It is currently sitting at $81m OS, and it already opened everywhere but China, current markets will bring $120m at best (it actually may be even lower, considering how hard it is dropping), I have no idea what to expect from China since Prometheus wasn't even released there, but I guess $30m is the best we can hope (?), O/U $150m is the goal. And the main problem with a sequel is that considering the WOM that this one is receiving, the next one may drop even harder. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Mockingjay Raphael said:

Flixscore is already down to 64%, Prometheus has 68%. 

Sequel would be risky. That would look at what...60-70 dom and sub-100 OS-China? (tough to gauge China considering it's a market in flux)

• Like 1

Incompetent filmmaking and storytelling getting refused by audiences.

What a schocking development.

At this point, out of the X-Men films, Michael Fassbender 's presence in a film is as toxic and lethal as xenomoph s blood.

Ridley Scott was very wise to  

Spoiler

make HIM the freaking central character of Alien Covenant

Brilliant movie right here from Sir Ridley because when you buy an Alien Covenant ticket of course you want to see

Spoiler

David the android playing GOD with Alien DNA.

Because of course, that make perfect sense.

Spoiler

Plus Reducing the Xenos to clueless & harmless idiots.

Can't wait for the next installements.

Edited by The Futurist
  • Like 2

Movie was okay, really waiting for Scott to actually deliver the big ideas, while incorporating the horror aspect as a cohesive vehicle.

I did think it was interesting that

Spoiler

it is the first of the main line stories that didn't appear to resolve the horror aspect of it at the end. Several of them leave some large loose ends for sequels, but the horror is resolved for the immediate time being.
Alien - Its shot off into space.
Aliens - Planet side nuked, Queen shot off into space
Alien 3 - Shattered and Ripley/Queen take the lead dive
Alien Resurrection - Aliens blown up in collision with earth.
Prometheus - The deacon is left behind

Covenant - David with 2 face hugger embryos and 2K colonists to incubate with and experiment with.

Edited by Jiriki
getting spoilers right

1 hour ago, Mockingjay Raphael said:

From what I'm seeing, WOM is toxic OS, it is having brutal drops around the world, and it seems DOM is following this too. I've never seen a case where public disagreed so much on Critics' opinion about a blockbuster as in this one. Actually, I still don't get how the hell this movie got good reviews at all. With a WW total that will be between $220m-$240m, I wonder if we're going to see a sequel?

Hopefully not since Covenant is nothing but a "course correcting" movie for the boring ass xenomorphs

48 minutes ago, Mockingjay Raphael said:

Flixscore is already down to 64%, Prometheus has 68%. 

It'll probably go below 60%

28 minutes ago, Mockingjay Raphael said:

Just give this franchise to Blomkamp for God's sake, Ridley can't even follow correctly his own mythology anymore.  

I don't think anyone is giving Blomkamp 100m+ for anything soon.

• Like 1

52 minutes ago, Mockingjay Raphael said:

Just give this franchise to Blomkamp for God's sake, Ridley can't even follow correctly his own mythology anymore.  

Sorry, but Blomkamp has not had a good batting average lately either.

He has had two box office and critical duds in a row. He is now in danger of being in the One Hit Wonder territory.

At least Ridley Scott can boast of a huge box office and critical hit recently with "The Martian".

No doubt that "Prometheus" did hurt "Covenent" at the box office. Best Fox can hope for is a modest profit on it's investment.

Edited by dudalb

1 hour ago, dudalb said:

He has had two box office and critical duds in a row. He is now in danger of being in the One Hit Wonder territory.

Elysium was still above 6/10 on metacritic and still made a nice little 20.5 million in profit, far from is District 9 that made over 100 million in profit and it did a bit lower than the expected by the studio 300m WW box office, but not by that much, probably does not hurt a director C.V., but does not help it much either, specially that the studio was sued and got in a bit of trouble from a screenwriter that said that Blomkamp copied is movie(The studio won, I don't know if it was more serious than the usual legal issue over copyrights).

Chappie was massively made from independent funding (by MRC) and had a relatively low break even point (123m WW), it was probably a project people considered a huge risk from the start.

There is a reason that Blomkamp received a serious offer for an Alien movie, he is not the director you still go ahead because he is involved, but could have kept that movie if Alien Covenant was a big success.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Mockingjay Raphael said:

I'd love to see a Blomkamp Alien film. The franchise needs new blood. Unfortunately, Sir Scott is destroying the mythology he established.

Believe it or not, I didn't "hate" this film. I just wish it turned out some other way.

1 hour ago, MOVIEGUY said:

Looks like I was dead wrong about this one. By all accounts they really knocked it out of the park and it's nothing like Prometheus. :)

By whose "all accounts"...?

The reception is wildly mixed, and the box office returns so far, relative to its reported cost, are problematic...

Edited by Macleod
  • Like 1

37 minutes ago, Barnack said:

There is a reason that Blomkamp received a serious offer for an Alien movie, he is not the director you still go ahead because he is involved, but could have kept that movie if Alien Covenant was a big success.

This statement is confusing.  Anyway, Ridley Scott claims that FOX were the ones to make the decision to go with his movie and not Blomkamp's (or instead of?).  But I think Ridley still has significant sway with FOX, and had more of a hand in this decision than he's admitting...basically, he was jealous that Blomkamp's proposal was getting more "buzz" than his potential follow-up(s), so he helped (s)quash it.  Ridley claims there wasn't even a full script for Blomkamp's project...but Weaver kept talking about a complete "script" that she had read from Blomkamp...so there's definitely more to this story.