Jump to content

Beginning on August 1, 2017 all free accounts will have the same avatar size as all paid accounts. This means you will be able to upload larger avatars on that day if you have a free account and this will no longer be a paid perk.

Neo

Alien: Covenant | 5/19/2017 | Who needs mystery?

Recommended Posts

WrathOfHan    29,398

The "it's too much of a Prometheus sequel!" comments make me more excited. I'm sure there's enough Xeno action and horror for me.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
picores    1,526
14 minutes ago, marveldcfox said:

Lol the fans of this franchise don't know what they want. They expect some A grade masterpiece in today's day and age from a franchise that was never meant to be more than a B grade one with thrills and blood. Alien got horrible reviews and extremely mixed reaction from audience back in the day. It wasn't considered a cult classic until time passed and Aliens made alien a must see. 

 

 

:wintf:

 

LOL NOPE

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
The Futurist    22,375

Believe it if you want or not, but in an interview in a french movie magazine (so no internet link to give you any receipts, sorry), at the time of the release of Prometheus, Scott admitted that he was drinking a lot during the making of that movie.

It s not like the giant making of the movie on the Blu-ray doesn't show a director who changes his mind on a day to day basis (all SFX & VFX artists  who worked on the film said so too, about how Scott would change things constantly, drastic changes I mean, not the skin color of the Alien or something), not knowing where he was going at all, doing things without any rhyme or reason.

Prometheus and AC are way too ambitious for their own good and Ridley, with his constant revisionism on Blade Runner has been convinced by cinephiles & critics has was a genius, which led him into thinking he could science the shit out of the sci-fi themes of these two movies with ease.

 

My conclusion is Ridley Scott suffers a serious  case of George Lucas syndrome, meaning he is an all too powerful & respected and admired Artist who has lost the plot for about 10 years, some say more, that nobody will confront ever on anything because, well, he is Ridley Scott, who do you think you are, Camera Operator B, screenwriter from Draft 8 ?

 

 

 

 

 

 

Edited by The Futurist
  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Firepower    44

Ridley Scott's sci-fi thriller Alien: Covenant flew to $4.2 million in Thursday-evening previews before opening everywhere Friday morning in North America.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
jandrew    21,628

The marketing for this has been outstanding. Especially it's an R-rated sci fi, Fox still pulled out all the stops.

 

- Good early viral campaign

- 2 effective trailers

- They have blitzed TV with spots. The NBA Playoffs, NHL Playoffs, prime time. Every time you change the channel there's an Alien spot.

- Promotional appearances on GMA, Fallon, etc. They even brought a Xenomorph onto James Corbin to do a skit.

- RT had a funny bit where a facehugger interviewed the cast.

- They also blitzed social media. Spotify presence, heavy Youtube presence, and they created an Alien Snapchat filter. I was asked about it from GA: "that Alien filter is creepy!"

- While those hashtags ended up being hilariously used for politics, it was still a good idea for Fox. And those gif emojis they created for it were pretty cute.

- Some other stuff.

 

The went all out for a movie that has been doubtful to open above $50M. Easily their best campaign since Deadpool. "Fox can't market."

  • Like 4

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
marveldcfox    988
34 minutes ago, jandrew said:

The marketing for this has been outstanding. Especially it's an R-rated sci fi, Fox still pulled out all the stops.

 

- Good early viral campaign

- 2 effective trailers

- They have blitzed TV with spots. The NBA Playoffs, NHL Playoffs, prime time. Every time you change the channel there's an Alien spot.

- Promotional appearances on GMA, Fallon, etc. They even brought a Xenomorph onto James Corbin to do a skit.

- RT had a funny bit where a facehugger interviewed the cast.

- They also blitzed social media. Spotify presence, heavy Youtube presence, and they created an Alien Snapchat filter. I was asked about it from GA: "that Alien filter is creepy!"

- While those hashtags ended up being hilariously used for politics, it was still a good idea for Fox. And those gif emojis they created for it were pretty cute.

- Some other stuff.

 

The went all out for a movie that has been doubtful to open above $50M. Easily their best campaign since Deadpool. "Fox can't market."

I feel they made a big mistake by pushing up the release date. Would have done better in August.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
John Marston    14,575

my friend, who watched the Alien films on my recommendation, loved Aliens but thought Alien was "boring"

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
IN BKB WE TRUST    13,015
2 hours ago, John Marston said:

my friend, who watched the Alien films on my recommendation, loved Aliens but thought Alien was "boring"

 

I can understand that if you've never seen any of the movies, ALIEN does come across as slow with buildup along the way, while ALIENS is just flat out action 90% of the movie..

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Klingo    4,128

The problem is this movie is like a side story.  Director Ridley Scott is planning a movie of what happened after Prometheus and before Covenant.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Firepower    44
9 minutes ago, Klingo said:

 Director Ridley Scott is planning a movie of what happened after Prometheus and before Covenant.

No, he doesn't. He lies every time he says something in interviews. If he directs next Alien after Covenant, it will be a sequel with David.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Cookson    530

People trying to compare these to Alien and Aliens are just setting themselves up for disappointment...

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
filmscholar    5,551

Loved It Very Much.  That Ending, Wow.  Michael Fassbender performance was even better than "Prometheus".   I was scared it wasn't going to be a "Prometheus" Sequel and it really was.   The marathon I did this week made the experience even more enjoyable because you see the connectivity of all the films.   Ridley had homages to the Alien, Aliens and Alien 3 in this film.   I think the Prologue should of been left in the film as well.   Can't wait for "Awakening".  Ridely needs to hurry and do it so it can drop on the 40th Anniversary of "Alien in 2019.   As for number prospects, I just hoping for it to match "Prometheus' maybe pass it worldwide. 

Edited by filmscholar

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
SteveJaros    552

Saw AC today and was ... disappointed. Viewed like a retread/compilation of bits and pieces of prior Alien films, and other space-monster movies more generally.

 

Sadly, seems like Scott took the criticism of Prometheus's alleged opaqueness too seriously, and from scene one makes sure he spells out everything and connects all the dots such that any 5-year old won't feel mystified by anything. And worst of all, the alien attack sequences lack suspense and terror.

 

322/1000. 

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
marveldcfox    988
5 minutes ago, Blankments said:

Updated predicts:

 

OW: 44M

DOM: 132M

WW: 447M

Clearly, you didn't see its opening numbers across many territories last weekend.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
shayhiri    4,108
8 hours ago, WrathOfHan said:

The "it's too much of a Prometheus sequel!" comments make me more excited. I'm sure there's enough Xeno action and horror for me.

 

No, it was quite boring for the Shay.

 

Compared to similar movies - it is solid and holds relatively well for 1 viewing. But I have no incentive whatsoever to see it again. Very little of the creatures or vistas that you haven't seen in the trailers. And what's a good scifi without eye candy?

 

They should really stop making those. You hear us, Ridley? Stop!!

 

Alien 2 - even 3 and 4 - were good and somehow fresh, for their time at least. This time is long gone. The Aliens are but a bore now. This won't make much money.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
shayhiri    4,108
2 hours ago, Cookson said:

People trying to compare these to Alien and Aliens are just setting themselves up for disappointment...

 

Yeah, I don't care about the original - but Aliens is indeed brilliant action.

 

While this here is NO action at all, just one or two action scenes.

Edited by shayhiri

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now


  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use and Guidelines. Feel free to read our Privacy Policy as well.