Neo

Alien: Covenant | 5/19/2017 | Who needs mystery?

On May 23, 2017 at 8:44 AM, PPZVGOS said:

Or even if you just want to have major movies other than SH or Star Wars or recycled Disney kiddie fare, then again, you have to go and see it. 

This is a sequel & prequel to a franchise running for 40 years and 8 films. Nothing against the quality but this movie is just as recycled as all of those you mentioned.

Well, that was... at least interesting. A nice (and partly successful) try to pick up a few loose ends and tie them to the follow-up lore that would be Alien (1979) lore. The movie itself was suspenseful and frightening and Ridleys trademarks (great setpieces, landscapes, lighting, colors, atmosphere, etc.) are all over the place. The nitpicking about "dumb decisions of characters" again is simply overblown.

Spoiler

We don't know what those scanners of these colonisation ships are capable of. AND we don't know how the regular procedure of exploring a new planet with a human-fitting atmosphere would be like in these days far in the future. Also, harmful (micro)life may be present all over a planet or just in a few zones - you cannot fully protect against this if you want to colonise a new world. From that pov, the decision to go without breathing filters makes some sense. Go ask the first explorers of north and south america and africa.

All over, I liked this movie - until

Spoiler

the end unfolds.

I absolutely hated that, it kicked the whole movie into the trashcan for me. Sure, a bold decision since I am pretty much sure that the GA will hate that too. But not my cup of tea.

Spoiler

I did like the idea that an android with a developed god-complex created the aliens that will bug out Ripley so much in the future. I am very curious to see how Ridley will knot this into the classic alien lore. I did not like the part with the eggs though, because it goes against the lore created with Camerons Aliens. But then again, Ridley kick-started the franchise in the first place. One should cut him some slack for going a way HE maybe wanted to go all the time. Also, maybe the queen later on was simply a normal evolution in alien life. We know that there are spiecies on earth that can change their sex if the situation demands. So who can even imagine what tricks our little alien buggers may have in sleeve? As for Tennessee and his decision to put the life of the colonists in danger... well, he is just a selfish prick hellbent on knowing of what happened to his wife and later on rescuing his fellow crewmates. Heck, right here, right now, on this mofo planet, we have CEOs running giant corporations who are making decisions that put human life in clear and present danger just for effin profits (just look up Martin Shrekeli as e.g.). Under this circumstances, I can deal with an asshole like Tennessee.

I guess I will give it another run after the rentals / streams are available, but I don't think it will change my reception of the movie greatly. 7 out of ten (in my book) and fourth place in the Alien movie franchise (again, in my book and not counting the two AvP movies).

3 hours ago, Jay Hollywood said:

This is a sequel & prequel to a franchise running for 40 years and 8 films. Nothing against the quality but this movie is just as recycled as all of those you mentioned.

I never said anything different. 

My point was that the "Alien" franchise is something quite different to what dominates the film industry today.

6 hours ago, PPZVGOS said:

I never said anything different. 

My point was that the "Alien" franchise is something quite different to what dominates the film industry today.

Not really, no.

• Like 1

13 hours ago, vc2002 said:

So is it safe to say this is going to be the last Alien movie for a while?

Probably not. Even if it only makes budget or falls a bit short the WW is going to allow it to be bolstered. Then there are the after market profit streams. A franchise like this is now making installments in order to maintain the IP and keep it relevant as a dominant franchise.

The next one may have to reduce the budget into the $75m range though.

Yo quick question. I finished Alien, Aliens, and Prometheus and thus I think I'm ready to see this BUT should I watch the Prologues beforehand? Or are they just fun extras that I can watch after I see the movie?

16 minutes ago, Blankments said:

Yo quick question. I finished Alien, Aliens, and Prometheus and thus I think I'm ready to see this BUT should I watch the Prologues beforehand? Or are they just fun extras that I can watch after I see the movie?

Might as well, they're not that long. Not essential at all, but kinda cool

Thanks Ridley for pulling a George Lucas...

Alien will always hold a special place in my heart. I liked Alien Covenant but some of that toxic WoM from Prometheus spilled over. I knew this would drop big but i didn't expect 71% drop. Sad. This makes BvS and Godzilla look like they had amazing legs...

• Like 1