Neo

Alien: Covenant | 5/19/2017 | Who needs mystery?

Blomkamp on his Alien

You've been asked about this a lot, but I’m guessing that your Alien concept is completely done, right?

I think it's totally dead, yes. That would be an accurate assumption at this point.  It’s sad. I spent a long time working on that, and I feel like it was really pretty awesome. But politically, the way it’s gone now, and the way that it all is — it’s just not going to live.

As in studio politics?

Yeah. Ridley [Scott] was one of my idols growing up. He's so talented and he's made this film that really set me off in a direction. I want to just be as respectful and not go stamping around in this world that he created. I think that if the circumstances were different, and I didn't feel like I was getting too close to something that he obviously feels a massive personal connection to, that things may have played out differently. But I did want to be as respectful as possible.

Have you seen Alien: Covenant?

No I haven’t seen it yet. But I definitely want to check it out.

https://www.theverge.com/2017/6/3/15703414/neill-blomkamp-oats-studios-short-films-sci-fi-district-9-chappie-elysium-rakka

Read into that what you will. 

Personally, I read: "Ridley used to be my hero, before he fucked me over..."

Edited by Macleod

On 5/28/2017 at 1:28 PM, MyMovieCanBeatUpYourMovie said:

This film gave me a new appreciation for Prometheus (which I was not a huge fan of).  At least that film had atmosphere and stunning visuals.

If Prometheus felt like a passion project for Ridley Scott, Covenant feels like a contractual obligation.  (I know it was not.)  

Brings nothing at all new to the Alien franchise, and presents the familiar stuff in bland ways, IMO.  Not exciting.  Not tense.  Not scary.  Not thought-provoking.  

Ill be honest , I get this feeling Ridley doesn't spend enough time developing his movies to determine it's a passion project or not.  They all look amazing, that's just innate talent.  If it's good...Clearly he had a good script.  Just my Ridley opinion.  Maybe not completely accurate though...he's been very hit and miss his whole career.

1 hour ago, The Futurist said:

Funny how Michael Bay and Tony Scott  were never respected even though they come from the same school as Ridley Scott.

Is that true ?

https://www.criterion.com/people/5796-michael-bay

Michael Bay is one of those auteur with more than one criterion release, I think he was vastly respected (industry and cinephiles) before failing to renew himself and pass to an other level.

And by school I meant :

being commercials superstar directors, especially Ridley Scott who was te biggest star of this industry in the late 70's and 80's.

Edited by The Futurist

11 minutes ago, The Futurist said:

And by school I meant :

being commercials superstar directors, especially Ridley Scott who was te biggest star of this industry in the late 70's and 80's.

He was a bigger star than Steven Spielberg in the late 70's and 80's ?

Jaws, Close Encounter, E.T., Raiders, were all massive (all biggest movie of there respective year, except Close encounter with only the freak Star wars above it)

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Barnack said:

He was a bigger star than Steven Spielberg in the late 70's and 80's ?

Jaws, Close Encounter, E.T., Raiders, were all massive (all biggest movie of there respective year, except Close encounter with only the freak Star wars above it)

In the commercials industry, yes, he was THE one.

Don't think Spielberg directed commercials, at least to my knowledge.

Just now, The Futurist said:

In the commercials industry, yes, he was THE one.

Don't think Spielberg directed commercials, at least to my knowledge.

A commercial in the sense of shooting ads, I thought commercial movies.

5 minutes ago, Barnack said:

A commercial in the sense of shooting ads, I thought commercial movies.

Sorry, english is not my mother tongue so sometimes I don't use the right words.

1 minute ago, The Futurist said:

Sorry, english is not my mother tongue so sometimes I don't use the right words.

Maybe they were, that what happen when 2 french speaking people speak in English to each others.

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, tribefan695 said:

People love to trash Michael Bay but let's be honest, he would be missed if he decided to stop making movies.

Yeah, people will miss the fun of trashing him.:jeb!:

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, vc2002 said:

Yeah, people will miss the fun of trashing him.:jeb!:

Same difference. His dubious filmography is still a subject of significant interest in a way most bad filmmakers (and some good ones) aren't.

Edited by tribefan695

32 minutes ago, tribefan695 said:

Same difference. His dubious filmography is still a subject of significant interest in a way most bad filmmakers (and some good ones) aren't.

It's like I've always said, whether for good or bad, Bay had a clear impact on this industry.

49 minutes ago, Alli said:

I didn't think this was that bad. I kind of enjoyed it :D

Same review here.   "I kind of enjoyed it".   But seeing yet another Xenomorph kill fest has lost its novelty.   The story I was most interested in was wedged in with a brief flashback so they could get back to showing another crew getting hunted down one by one again.   *yawn*