Neo

Alien: Covenant | 5/19/2017 | Who needs mystery?

One of the most bickered about movies of last year was Ridley Scott's "Alien" pseudo-prequel "Prometheus," a gaudy, lumbering hulk of a movie with more moving parts than your father's Chevy, it was a film that posed just as many questions as it answered and whose elliptical nature allured as many moviegoers as it repelled. Well, it was still something of a hit, and it appears work is moving ahead on a sequel, at least according to "Prometheus" leading lady Noomi Rapace.

Love it or hate it, this alone is a testament to how great the film is.  That level of polarization for a mega hyped movie has never happened before.  I think that sums up the last 4 pages of this thread quite nicely and every single page from now on until the sequels lands which why its gonna be too boring to open up this thread again.

Edited by Shpongle
  • Like 1

If this opens within the next 3 years or so, I doubt it hits $100 million domestically. Prometheus was WAY too divisive for a movie that already didn't reach the high box office expectations behind it.

People were way over predicting from the beginning. It was clear it was not four quadrant enough to reach the expectations
  • Like 1

• Founder / Operator

People were way over predicting from the beginning. It was clear it was not four quadrant enough to reach the expectations

It opened to over $50 million, though. That's pretty close to four-quad territory (or as close as it ever needed to be). The problem is that the film let a huge portion of that audience down.

• Founder / Operator

How much do you think it falls OS? In large part, that's what ended up driving a sequel.

Crazily enough, I think it stays flat or expands. But that's a really hard call to make without a target release date. Who knows where the major markets will be by 2015/2016 and beyond in terms of the dollar's inflation rate.

For those nagging on the unresolved plot points wait for the sequel. Also this sequel would help get closer to Alien where #3 hit the mark (tie-in).

I think it's fairly safe to assume that the sequel won't be particularly concerned with connecting the dots on all the unresolved issues in PROMETHEUS... and it may not be interested in dove-tailing closer to ALIEN either. 

• Founder / Operator

So, in other words, it's possibly becoming a movie (or franchise) that doesn't need a strong domestic take. Assuming a similar budget for the sequel, it could still be quite profitable even if it falls under $100m in the US (somewhat like TINTIN and its sequel-in-development).

Totally. I think Hollywood is really trying to move in this direction more and more. Eventually it's going to catch up with them though...

Could you imagine if Pirates 5 misses $200 million domestically? That would have been unimaginable before 2011, but it could realistically happen in two years and it wouldn't matter one bit so long as the overseas take tops $500 million again. Crazy times!

It opened to over $50 million, though. That's pretty close to four-quad territory (or as close as it ever needed to be). The problem is that the film let a huge portion of that audience down.

Imagine if they got Giler and Shusett to write it.

I think it's fairly safe to assume that the sequel won't be particularly concerned with connecting the dots on all the unresolved issues in PROMETHEUS... and it may not be interested in dove-tailing closer to ALIEN either. 

I said would help while #3 gets us there.

In terms of plot direction I have no idea what to expect from a sequel to be honest. It's one of the reasons I'm looking forward to it.

• Like 2