Neo

Alien: Covenant | 5/19/2017 | Who needs mystery?

1 minute ago, Cmasterclay said:

I heard from someone I follow on this board, @antovolk I think (sorry if it isn't you!), that this had started screening and apparently reception was not very good at all.

First I have heard of this, and even if true that is exactly why test screenings are done. To find out what is working and what isn't. With 7 months to go, they can now tinker around in the edit.

If you hear that with a month to go, then it is too late.

• Like 11

2 minutes ago, grim22 said:

First I have heard of this, and even if true that is exactly why test screenings are done. To find out what is working and what isn't. With 7 months to go, they can now tinker around in the edit.

If you hear that with a month to go, then it is too late.

Of course! That's not a gospel truth, just a bit of information to throw into the pot. Make of it what ya will.

FWIW, I don't think Ridley Scott has done a great job directing since Gladiator. Martian was good, but it was based on an excellent book, had a great script, and a terrific cast. Honestly, it felt like the bare minimum of good for how much it had going for it, and I chalk alot of that up to Ridley. So that is coloring what I think of this. 

Edited by Cmasterclay

15 minutes ago, Cmasterclay said:

Of course! That's not a gospel truth, just a bit of information to throw into the pot. Make of it what ya will.

FWIW, I don't think Ridley Scott has done a great job directing since Gladiator. Martian was good, but it was based on an excellent book, had a great script, and a terrific cast. Honestly, it felt like the bare minimum of good for how much it had going for it, and I chalk alot of that up to Ridley. So that is coloring what I think of this. 

I have to completely disagree.  Not sure how you can say that when since Gladiator he has directed the following movies....

- Black Hawk Down

- Kingdom of Heaven: Director's Cut is a masterpiece

- American Gangster is very, very good and somehow underrated

- The Martian

99% of directors would kill to have 4 movies that good on their resume.  He has had a lot of misses since Gladiator, but he has knocked multiple movies out of the park.  

Edited by EmpireCity
  • Like 8

Just now, EmpireCity said:

I have to completely disagree.  Not sure how you can say that when since Gladiator he has directed the following movies....

- Black Hawk Down

- The Martian

99% of directors would kill to have 4 movies that good on their resume.  He has had a lot of misses since Gladiator, but he has knocked multiple movies out of the park.  

I forgot about Black Hawk Down, a movie which I generally was lukewarm on but was indeed exceedingly well directed. I thought the Martian was a fine directing of something potentially spectacular, which is what you would expect from one of these Marvel indie/TV guys. American Gangster was kind of a bloated mess to me,but it was fine. Never saw the KOH Director's Cut, but did see the original cut (the one actually released in theaters) and thought it was wooden and choppy. I'm not saying Ridley Scott is a bad director or these are bad movies at all. The guy directed Blade Runner and Alien, he's a genius. And these movies are fine. But that is it. They're just fine. It's like late career Shaq - he's still the biggest name, but at some point, you've got to just say the old Shaq ain't coming back. I was more responding to the "Sir Ridley will make it all better" stuff. It's not like he's the Coens/Scorcese. Dude is on a fairly mediocre run on the average. 

9 minutes ago, EmpireCity said:

- Black Hawk Down

- The Martian

Black Hawk Down is a mess though

41 minutes ago, Cmasterclay said:

I heard from someone I follow on this board, @antovolk I think (sorry if it isn't you!), that this had started screening and apparently reception was not very good at all.

If it already tested and got mixed/bad reactions, wouldn't moving it up 3 months be an odd move?  They'd be robbing themselves of a lot of time in any attempt to make changes.  Anyways Scott is a script reliant director but arguably 2nd to none in the visual department with his art background, always has been that way, I hope he's got a good one.

• Like 1