Neo

Alien: Covenant | 5/19/2017 | Who needs mystery?

1 hour ago, CJohn said:

Sony should move Life to June. WB should move Annabelle 2 to July 21 and Dunkirk to August 4. 

Sony should move Life to Mid October. just like hit Sci-fi films like Gravity & The Martian on that month....WB should keep Dunkirk on July 21 & Move Annabelle 2 to August 4

Edited by Robot308
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, grim22 said:

Now that the prime "First week of August" spot is available, I think it will get filled soon. Valerian might move (not that it will help the movie, but can't hurt). Or WB might want to put Wonder Woman there as the last big movie of summer similar to SS. Doubt if the date stays empty too long, an open release corridor is too much to resist.

I think Wonder Woman will stay put, I think Annabelle 2 and Wimpy Kid will move to August

19 minutes ago, Jonwo said:

I think Wonder Woman will stay put, I think Annabelle 2 and Wimpy Kid will move to August

Wonder Woman is not going anywhere. Judging from the positive feedback from BvS, this is one DC movie that Warner could rely on for not being a major headache.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, EmpireCity said:

I have to completely disagree.  Not sure how you can say that when since Gladiator he has directed the following movies....

- Black Hawk Down

- Kingdom of Heaven: Director's Cut is a masterpiece

- American Gangster is very, very good and somehow underrated

- The Martian

99% of directors would kill to have 4 movies that good on their resume.  He has had a lot of misses since Gladiator, but he has knocked multiple movies out of the park.  

I am a fan of Scott's dense visual style, his art direction. I think to this day is peerless in this area. But the plot of his movies tend to sprawl out. Even a straight-forward movie like the decent (IMHO) The Martian is lacking in urgency, dramatic punch, all that. To be frank most of his movies tend to be a slow Sunday morning in a coffee shop, sipping & browsing & puffing, non-committal. Prometheus seems to suffer the most since it is a potentially a lucrative franchise reboot, everyone probably wants to contribute something to the story, not juts the assigned writers like Spaith or Lindelof. All this tug-of-war of ideas & directions tear the potentially great movie to pieces.

One thing though: Prometheus is incredible to look at. Absolutely stunning movie....visually.

One casualty from this move to May is Sony's Life. The trailer doesn't look like it is anything more than a standard space thriller. The audience has their fill for outer space action with Covenant. They may skip that for Jack Sparrow.

Anyway May is way too crowded and I seriously think an aging Alien franchise is fine in that August spot. Don't count out the Baywatch movie. Females may drag their boyfriends to skip dark & violent scifi for a fun comedy at the beach. Guardians 2 may se the light tone for the rest of the summer. And this Annabelle/Insidious/Conjuring Extended Universe just.... won't..... die....

The only reason FOX would be moving this from August to May (anywhere in May) is because they've seen an edit of it and have confidence in it.  They already have more confidence in it than Prometheus, at the very least.  They clearly pushed Ridley to more fully embrace Alien-isms, and he must have done so...and the poster indicates as such.

Edited by Macleod
  • Like 1