Neo

Alien: Covenant | 5/19/2017 | Who needs mystery?

8 hours ago, marveldcfox said:

WTF? August was fine...but whatever..the sooner the better.

Life should move to Cars 3 weekend. Both can co-exist.

Annabelle 2 should move to the weekend after July 1st.

Diary of Wimpy Kid should move to end of August.

Dunkirk should move to 1st weekend of August because that month is barren, but the ego of Chris Nolan and WB will prevent that from happening.

Valerian could benefit by moving to August 1st week. First release it in Europe and Asia on July 21st. If it is good and does well there, they can use all that positive buzz going into America. Kinda like the first Taken.

I think Alien Covenant should have moved to June 9 (same weekend as Prometheus back in 2012). I don't think World War Z 2 has gone into production yet so that could be taken off. Valerian as you said could take August 4 and Mummy should have July 21.

19 hours ago, filmlover said:

I think Baywatch should move back to Memorial Day weekend instead of Annabelle 2. Could easily coexist with Pirates of the Caribbean 5.

Actually now that I think about it, Baywatch should move back to June 9. Paramount currently has World War Z 2 scheduled there but there's been no news of that having gone into production yet. I don't see how it makes that date. Pushing back Baywatch to that date leaves room in between that and that Amy Schumer/Goldie Hawn comedy opening up May 12 and then the next comedy after that is The House on June 30.

EDIT: I looked a little closer at May. Sony has a sci-fi horror movie Life opening the following week. How hard did Fox look at the month? Weren't they just fine opening it on August 4? Considering it's a big budget movie, they were better off dominating August to maximize their profits.

Edited by Jay Beezy

The more I think about it, the more this seems like a bad shift. Call it a ballsy choice, absolutely, but I don't see how it's a smart choice. It was the tentpole movie of August and they've moved it to where it's no longer the monthly tentpole. Additionally, the combined budgets of the movies this is opening up against probably equals the budget of this. And on top of that, the Alien franchise doesn't have the best goodwill. So I don't see how this can survive in a competitive market.

Edited by Jay Beezy
  • Like 1

9 minutes ago, Jay Beezy said:

Well, nobody's answering. Care to enlighten us?

The new release date could have  a lot to do with the Cannes film festival, and it could be their blockbuster pick of the year.

There is always one.

Pierre Lescure is the current President of the Cannes film festival.

33 minutes ago, The Futurist said:

The new release date could have  a lot to do with the Cannes film festival, and it could be their blockbuster pick of the year.

There is always one.

Pierre Lescure is the current President of the Cannes film festival.

Hmm.

From what I recall, I think Cannes blockbuster premieres have to be the first premiere for the movies, so that means this can't have its premiere any sooner than May 17, the beginning of the festival and the Wednesday before release, and I'm not so sure the studio will want to do that.

Edited by Jay Beezy

21 hours ago, marveldcfox said:

WTF? August was fine...but whatever..the sooner the better.

Life should move to Cars 3 weekend. Both can co-exist.

Annabelle 2 should move to the weekend after July 1st.

Diary of Wimpy Kid should move to end of August.

Dunkirk should move to 1st weekend of August because that month is barren, but the ego of Chris Nolan and WB will prevent that from happening.

Valerian could benefit by moving to August 1st week. First release it in Europe and Asia on July 21st. If it is good and does well there, they can use all that positive buzz going into America. Kinda like the first Taken.

Annabelle 2 may get crushed since the demographic overlap is pretty significant. Although Alien movies are in the scifi thriller category, they are both regarded as "scary movies" by GA

Pirates 5 is gonna eat into its sales the following weekend. Somebody suggested to move into WWZ2 slot? Bad idea: The Mummy has similar elements as the Alien movies, plus Tom Cruise. No, June is fully booked with Wonder Woman, Pixar, Transformers 5, and Despicable 3. July is out: Spider-Man, Dunkirk, Apes 3, Disney Live Action (?). If not for the Cannes factor, I'd stay in August slot. Guardians 1, Bourne, Rush Hour - all did big business here.

2 hours ago, Jay Beezy said:

Hmm.

From what I recall, I think Cannes blockbuster premieres have to be the first premiere for the movies, so that means this can't have its premiere any sooner than May 17, the beginning of the festival and the Wednesday before release, and I'm not so sure the studio will want to do that.

WB did it for Fury Road, but I don't think thats the reason for the move(yet).

Edited by Ozymandias

3 hours ago, The Futurist said:

Alien Covenant fits the bill for Cannes but we ll se.

It s as prestigious as Mad Max, franchise wise.

Well considering how much the Alien franchise has been dragged through the mud with 3, Resurrection, the AvP movies and to a lesser extent Prometheus (the Lindelof effect), I wouldn't call it a prestigious franchise again just yet. ;)

Anyway, if they're going for a Cannes premiere, I don't think that justifies moving the release date forward closer to the Cannes premiere. Last year, the BFG had a Cannes premiere when it opened in July. Other Cannes out-of-competition films have opened as late as September. It doesn't change the fact that it went from a month where it was monthly tentpole to a month where it's not. So I don't see how this doesn't have a negative effect on box office.

Edited by Jay Beezy
  • Like 1