Neo

Alien: Covenant | 5/19/2017 | Who needs mystery?

Can I just say that, while it is a good and always fun idea to premiere a blockbuster movie at Cannes (as long as the team and brand behind it are trust worthy, and despite the shortcomings of the last few years - Prometheus certainly included - Ridley Scott and Alien are a good combo), I think it's STOOPID to move it from August to May from a commercial standpoint? Because I really believe it is.

Alien may be a well known brand, and Prometheus did strong numbers despite a crowded market and tepid WOM. But Prometheus' WOM in of itself is a hurdle for Covenant to pass. On top of that, it didn't open against another R-rated mainstream movie, in this case Annabelle II (The Conjuring being as close to mainstream as a horror franchise can get nowadays), it didn't have to deal w/other strong four-quadrant franchise openers like Pirates and Wonder Woman (the strongest competition in its 1st three weeks was Madagascar 3 and Brave, two animations), and it didn't have the choice to open in a month that has been proven positively lethal for blockbusters opening in one of its 1st few FSS holds and having zero competition to face off until its and the following month's end, kinda like August. That's my rant on Alien: Covenant's release change.

..... the poster is awesome.

• Like 2

5 hours ago, MCKillswitch123 said:

Can I just say that, while it is a good and always fun idea to premiere a blockbuster movie at Cannes (as long as the team and brand behind it are trust worthy, and despite the shortcomings of the last few years - Prometheus certainly included - Ridley Scott and Alien are a good combo), I think it's STOOPID to move it from August to May from a commercial standpoint? Because I really believe it is.

Alien may be a well known brand, and Prometheus did strong numbers despite a crowded market and tepid WOM. But Prometheus' WOM in of itself is a hurdle for Covenant to pass. On top of that, it didn't open against another R-rated mainstream movie, in this case Annabelle II (The Conjuring being as close to mainstream as a horror franchise can get nowadays), it didn't have to deal w/other strong four-quadrant franchise openers like Pirates and Wonder Woman (the strongest competition in its 1st three weeks was Madagascar 3 and Brave, two animations), and it didn't have the choice to open in a month that has been proven positively lethal for blockbusters opening in one of its 1st few FSS holds and having zero competition to face off until its and the following month's end, kinda like August. That's my rant on Alien: Covenant's release change.

..... the poster is awesome.

Also, Annabelle 2 is more likely to suffer, but it is more likely to withstand it due to its likely low budget. Alien Covenant has more to lose as its budget probably equals the sum of the budgets of the other movies set to open on May 19.

Like I said, they don't need to open it in May to have a Cannes premiere. Some Cannes out of competition films have opened as late as September.

Also May 19 does have another R rated movie opening with Baywatch. But that's a comedy, so less overlap.

Edited by Jay Beezy

3 hours ago, The Futurist said:

2017 is shaping up to be such a good year :

the desecration of Ridley Scott's classics.

In one year.

What a time to be alive.

Denis is going to fucking DELIVER.  I have no doubts anymore Arrival was fantastic.

Edited by kowhite
  • Like 1

On 25/11/2016 at 5:21 AM, Jay Beezy said:

Hmm.

From what I recall, I think Cannes blockbuster premieres have to be the first premiere for the movies, so that means this can't have its premiere any sooner than May 17, the beginning of the festival and the Wednesday before release, and I'm not so sure the studio will want to do that.

I think other movies already did it. May 17th is also probably the release of the movie in France, they are released the Wednesday here. So that's basically premiere the day of release, kind of weird in a way.

Any word on when the trailer will be released ? Should be soon now right ? 

On 11/28/2016 at 8:28 PM, The Futurist said:

2017 is shaping up to be such a good year :

the desecration of Ridley Scott's classics.

In one year.

What a time to be alive.

I am still dreading that Thelma & Louise remake that they keep warning us about every once in a while...

Still wondering why this moved to May. In August it would get a big opening and great legs as there is nothing else there, and also get IMAX for 3-4 weeks. Now it will get IMAX for just one week before Pirates 5 and then Wonder Woman take IMAX screens away and with big movies releasing every weekend, legs will be at a premium as well.

• Like 1

37 minutes ago, Jayhawk said:

Another sad pop song cover trailer. Can safely say this is one of the worst trends we've had in trailers.

Not just sad pop songs, songs in general. Usually, there would be a better alternative.

But the reactions to the footage sound awesome!!! I'm hyped!!!

Edited by Elessar