Noctis

Blockbusters should be nominated more

They're not biased. Just because you like a movie doesn't mean everyone else should share your taste. Neither APES nor IS are great, although IS has a chance at getting a nomination.

I'm not the only one who has mentioned these films getting nominated. It's not like I'm throwing my favorite film of the year out there to get nominated because I know Mockingjay's reception wasn't great. Why do you believe that Interstellar nor Apes are deserving because of your personal taste? Or can you support that?

I'm not the only one who has mentioned these films getting nominated. It's not like I'm throwing my favorite film of the year out there to get nominated because I know Mockingjay's reception wasn't great. Why do you believe that Interstellar nor Apes are deserving because of your personal taste? Or can you support that?

Because the Academy is basically a collective of 6,000 individual tastes and most of them aren't inclined to vote for something that didn't passionately move them. And, IMO, their collective tastes are a bit closer to mine than yours if for no other reason than age.

• Like 3

I hate the idea that we need at least 1-2 blockbusters per year to be nominated for Best Picture, otherwise the Academy is full of old farts.

As Numbers stated, it's supposed to be the ten best films of the year as voted by 6,000+ voters. Box office gross doesn't matter.

Because the Academy is basically a collective of 6,000 individual tastes and most of them aren't inclined to vote for something that didn't passionately move them. And, IMO, their collective tastes are a bit closer to mine than yours if for no other reason than age.

Well this leads me to question how one qualifies to be a member of the Academy?

Yes, I ranted about this in some thread, Star Wars or Guardians.

Speak of the devil, I just saw Dawn of the Apes and this movie left me speechless.

I thought this movie was fantastic from beginning to end and it is my favourite of the year thus far.

I agree and don't agree. I agree because there are many blockbusters that are much better than the bullshit movies winingn Oscars and I disagree because ROTK was the only major blockbuster to win BP and that makes it in the eyes of the critics the best blockbuster ever, thing that I believe also. So I don't want other big movies ever taking the same prize. :lol:

• Like 2

They're not biased. Just because you like a movie doesn't mean everyone else should share your taste. Neither APES nor IS are great, although IS has a chance at getting a nomination.

Of course they are biased. The same kind of movies wins almost every time. The dramas about slavery are a joke already.

Edited by James
  • Like 2

Well this leads me to question how one qualifies to be a member of the Academy?

You basically need to have worked in the industry for a certain length of time, doing such work as considered generally high quality by the Academy, and have to be nominated by an Academy member. Then your specific branch (acting, writing, directing, costuming, etc) will consider you.

• Like 3

Dawn of the Planet of the Apes > Interstellar

All lies, though IS will get a nod. I have foreseen it.

Now that Hasan is going to disappear till the next Nolan film comes out, it's up to me!