I feel horror in 2015 played it way too safe, even the R rated (I'm just talking about wide releases) stuff felt very PG13. I'm glad to see The Witch getting a wide release although I'd be very surprised if it makes more than $20 million. It's very good but the GA are most likely going to be bored by it.

On January 4, 2016 at 0:35 PM, MovieMan89 said:

Talk about a disastrous year for the genre. Pretty much says it all when Krampus and The Visit are the horror "blockbusters" of the year. Both were also horror comedies, so no pure horror hits for the year. 

What went wrong? 

I feel that it is all thanks to the lack of quality, apart of TV (I haven't seen Krampus yet), there was at least a mediocre movie last year? Insidious was mediocre at best, but everything else was just pure shit, and even the 'good ones' like IF was too 'weird' to break out with the GP..... I blame Blumhouse that played super safe last year

Just watched You're the Next for the first time...... What an amazing movie! I loved both twist, wasn't expecting any of them, but the best thing was easily the way that they reinvented the importance of a female in a horror movie, instead of being another weak victim, just waiting to die, the girl is the craziest one?! Genial! I would love to see more strong females like this one in horror movies, another great movie from 2013, it was truly one of the best years for horror in recent memory 

Can someone please explain me why it was not huge? I mean, it had great reviews, isn't it the key to a horror movie break out? And it also was released in the best year for horror movies in this decade, even after all this, it ended being a flop, I really don't get this..............

• Like 2

On 11 de janeiro de 2016 at 0:07 PM, Mockingjay Raphael said:

so, we just had the first hit of year with The Forest, and with at least 3 more movies that are locked to be hits (TP3, O2, TC2), this year is already looking way better than last year, the next horror movie to be released is The Boy (another PG13 movie), I wonder if it can be another break out 

What's TP3? You should write the whole title when it's not mentioned before in the conversation. It doesn't hurt, you know?

• Like 2

19 hours ago, Mockingjay Raphael said:

Just watched You're the Next for the first time...... What an amazing movie! I loved both twist, wasn't expecting any of them, but the best thing was easily the way that they reinvented the importance of a female in a horror movie, instead of being another weak victim, just waiting to die, the girl is the craziest one?! Genial! I would love to see more strong females like this one in horror movies, another great movie from 2013, it was truly one of the best years for horror in recent memory 

Can someone please explain me why it was not huge? I mean, it had great reviews, isn't it the key to a horror movie break out? And it also was released in the best year for horror movies in this decade, even after all this, it ended being a flop, I really don't get this..............

It wasn't that big because it had the misfortune of being the first horror movie following The Conjuring.  Not to mention horror had a pretty successful that year so far and something was bound to not do as well.  But again, it did 20 times its budget, so it did damn well.

• Like 1