If Poltergeist is a big hit/tops $100 million it will be down to the brand recognition and the corresponding expectations, as well as an aggressive ad campaign and Memorial Day Weekend release. It has several commercial advantages.

thats all it has going for also it could be decent counter programming against Tomorrowland

I don't see Poltergeist doing more than 50m DOM. It doesn't look like it will appeal at all to fans of the original, and I think the younger audience will find it very pat. Seems kinda dated given all the supernatural horror we're now used to. Insidious 3 should drop a decent bit if it follows most 3rd horror installments. The first Sinister was only a very moderate hit and I don't think it built much hype for a sequel. So I guess that leaves Gallows as the only thing that could be a real horror hit this summer. But I could also see it doing under 20m so who knows with that one.

• Like 1

Sinister only grossed $6 million less than Insidious.

Yes, but only had a 2.6x multi opposed to Insidious' 4.2x multi. That would suggest that the want and demand for a sequel will be nowhere near what it was for Insidious because that movie clearly had great WOM. Sinister was probably liked OK, but I think the multi makes it safe to say people didn't think that much of it. I would be surprised if the sequel has much hype. Though speaking personally, Sinister is one of my fav horror films of the past 5 years. I just don't think a lot of others who saw it agree with me.

• Like 1

Yes, but only had a 2.6x multi opposed to Insidious' 4.2x multi. That would suggest that the want and demand for a sequel will be nowhere near what it was for Insidious because that movie clearly had great WOM. Sinister was probably liked OK, but I think the multi makes it safe to say people didn't think that much of it. I would be surprised if the sequel has much hype. Though speaking personally, Sinister is one of my fav horror films of the past 5 years. I just don't think a lot of others who saw it agree with me.

Remember the studio spread Insidious' marketing budget out over several weeks after the film was released, rather than just beforehand.

• Like 1

Horror sequels are tough to predict because with Nightmare On Elm Street 2,3,or 4 or a Purge:Anarchy or there's always a Silent Hill:Revelation or The Grudge 2 and The Ring Two. So Sinister 2 is hard to predict while with critics on the first movie they liked it while audiences were 50/50 and with it's somewhat quieter release date in August it might have a larger decresase from the first movie.

What's the average F&F multiplier again?

• Like 1

Wolfcop sucks ass.

It certainly wasn't great, but it had enough moments to keep it from being horrible. But maybe that's just us. The second before the car-fixer-upper scene started, I shouted out "montage" and was rewarded with the thrill of victory. (everyone enjoys watching movies in different ways)

Right after Wolfcop, we watched Lost River (by Ryan Gosling). Talk about two movies that could barely be any farther apart. That's not necessarily a good movie either, but we found it enjoyable enough, if for no other reasons than that we immediately recognized where it was filmed, and loved a lot of the beautiful imagery throughout the film. Gorgeous desolation.

As with many movies, it just has to catch you in the right mood at the right time.

• Like 1

So Poltergeist has opened at #4 with $23,000,000 3 day. The best horror start since Annabelle 7 months ago. The only other $20m+ opener in 2014 was The Purge: Anarchy.

Update

HORROR 2015

Horror 2014 http://forums.boxofficetheory.com/index.php?/topic/13107-horror-2014/

Horror 2013 http://forums.boxoffice.com/index.php?/topic/7499-horror-2013/

Horror 2012 http://forums.boxoffice.com/index.php?/topic/2043-horror-2012/

The Woman in Black 2: Angel of Death

Release Date: January 2nd, 2015

Opening Weekend: $15,027,415

Domestic Total: $26,500,000

Worldwide Total: $37,000,000

The Lazarus Effect

Release Date: February 20th, 2015

Opening Weekend: $10,600,000

Domestic Total: $25,800,000

Worldwide Total: $36,100,000