baumer

Baumer's top 50 films of 2014/Panda's top 20 of 2014 pg 8/Numbers pg 14

For the record, I have seen 82 films so far this year.  I am seeing Wild today.  So this list is for the top 50.  All films that make this list are ranked at least 7/10.

50) Non Stop:  Liam Neeson can play roles like this in his sleep now.  That doesn't mean that the film isn't any good however.  In fact, it is quite intense throughout much of the movie.  The film's main strength is that it keeps you guessing as to who dun it. This is what surprised me about the film.  The plot is pretty much an impossibility but just when you think you have seen it all, it basically flips on us.  The reason behind the terrorist plot is pretty goofy but in spite of that, the film is action packed and fun.  

Trivia:  Neeson's character's name is this is Bill Marks.  His name in the Taken series is Brian Mills.  Both have the same initials.  Co-incidence?  Doubtful.

non-stop-liam-neeson.jpg

49) Grand Budapest Hotel:  Wes Anderson is just not my kind of film maker.  I don't find most of his stories compelling.  The Darjeeling Limited and now the Grand Budapest Hotel are the only two films he has made that I can recommend.  When I read reviews of Anderson movies from those who love him, they speak of him with reverence and express how original he is and how he manages to get such terrific performances from his cast.  This is one instance where I can agree this sentiment.  But the best thing going for this film is the hotel itself.  It is basically a character in the film.  It's beautiful, lush and of course grand.  Here's a story of love, death, murder, greed and lunacy and somehow Anderson makes it all work.  

hero_GrandBudapestHotel-2014-1.jpg

Trivia:  This is the seventh time Bill Murray has worked with Anderson.

48) Transformers Age of Extinction:  When I first saw this I gave it a 5/10.  My reasons for disliking the film then have not changed.  What has changed is that I can appreciate it a bit more.  The problem I had and have with the film is that I didn't care about the characters the way I did in the first three.  The humour is also missing from this one the way it was there with Turturro and the parents and so on.  But after I gave it a second chance, it got better.  The action in this one is as good as anything in the first three and Optimus' arc in this also was well done.  But for this to have a 7/10, if I'm honest with myself, if it wasn't because I love Bay's style so much, it might have been lower.

Trivia:  The Rock was originally offered the role of Cade Yeager but declined due to scheduling conflicts with Hercules.

transformers-4-age-of-extinction-mark-wa

• Like 9