The Maze Runner

Dracula Untold

Transcendence

The Wolf of Wall Street

Hellion

10/10

The Hobbit: The Battle of the Five Armies

• Like 5

I bought "if I stay" for my mom for christmas. haven't seen it yet though, hopefully it's good. And I Just watched another 2014 movie last night and decided not to post any new ones on here. so my list will be a bit of a surprise. 

Here's my Top 15 of the year:

1. Under the Skin
2. Snowpiercer
3. The Raid 2
4. The Rover
5. Nightcrawler
6. The Babadook
7. Enemy
8. Locke
9. The Guest
10. Guardians of the Galaxy
11. Interstellar
12. Captain America: The Winter Soldier
13. Gone Girl
14. Godzilla
15. The Town That Dreaded Sundown

Note: Haven't seen Birdman, Boyhood, Dawn of the Apes...

• Like 7

33) Edge of Tomorrow:  Groundhog Day meets Starship Troopers.  If that sounds intriguing to you then you'll love this film.  I liked it a lot.  Cruise plays Cage, a soldier who repeats the same scenario over and over again until he can get it right.  No one believes him of course, they all think he's certifiably nuts.  But then he meets Emily Blunt, who conjures up her inner Catherine Zeta Jones from Entrapment and in turn causes the male populace to adjust their shorts.  Edge of Tomorrow is a lot of fun.  Besides the two great leads, you have Bill Paxton playing a tough as nails drill sergeant, who might as well be what Chet turned into when he got older.  Part of the fun is figuring out where the story is going to take you and of course the  ways in which the characters die, over and over again.

Trivia:  Tom Cruise spent $100,000 of his own money on a wrap party for the cast and crew.  He was not there as he was finishing up reshoots on the film.

emily-blunt-in-edge-of-tomorrow-movie-1.

32) Endless Love:  One of the best films in recent memory when it comes to demonstrating the passion and fire, the danger and the elation of young love.  Here's a story about a young girl, who, typical of scripts like this, has a rich family and has her whole life mapped out for her.  She'll go to some ivy league school, get a $200,000 education and live a life of privilege. She's also terribly sheltered and has never just cut loose like kids are supposed to do.  Enter her first love.  First loves are passionate and they are devastating.  When it hits you, you are powerless to stop it.  You make what seem to be foolish and rash decisions but all you can do is think of being with that person.  Written for the screen and directed by Shana Feste, this film benefits from being overseen by a woman.  She adds more femininity to the screenplay and she allows both the male and female leads to shine.  Endless Love is, as mentioned, one of the best films I've seen concerning young love.

Filming only took two months and was filmed in Georgia.

endless-love-giveaway.jpg?dc6d31

Edited by baumer
  • Like 6

I still have a shit load of awards movies to see that don't release until jan/feb here, but right now I'm feeling like my top 10 is

1. Calvary

2. Noah

3. Jodorowsky's Dune

4. Nigthcrawler

5. Only Lovers Left Alive

6. Two Days, One Night

7. God Help The Girl

8. The Guest

9. The LEGO Movie

10.  Under The Skin

11. The Skeleton Twins

12. Godzilla

13. Frank

14. Guardians of the Galaxy

15. The Grand Budapest Hotel

16. Edge of Tomorrow

17. Boyhood

18. X-Men: Days of Future Past

19. Gone Girl

20. Locke

Edited by CoolioD1
  • Like 6

I might do a list countdown after I watch some more of the big awards movies like: Birdman, Wild, Whiplash, Foxcatcher, Selma, and The Imitation Game. Oh, and I haven't seen Top 5 yet either.

Still, here is my top 12 as of now:

1. Boyhood

2. Snowpiercer

3. The Grand Budapest Hotel

4. Captain America: The Winter Soldier

5. Nightcrawler

6. Interstellar

7. Big Hero 6

8. Fury

9. Noah

10. How to Train Your Dragon 2

11. Edge of Tomorrow

12. Into the Woods

I have no doubt my list will change as I see some more movies.

• Like 4

I still have a shit load of awards movies to see that don't release until jan/feb here, but right now I'm feeling like my top 10 is

3. Jodorowsky's Dune

Forgot about Jodorowsky's Dune. Amazing documentary. Would have made my Top 15.

“This system make of us slaves. Without dignity. Without depth. With a devil in our pocket. This incredible money in our pocket. This money. This shit. This nothing. This paper who have nothing inside. Movies have heart - boom, boom, boom! Have mind [mimes lightning bolts shooting from his brain] Have power [points to his genitals] Have ambition!”
  • Like 3

“This system make of us slaves. Without dignity. Without depth. With a devil in our pocket. This incredible money in our pocket. This money. This shit. This nothing. This paper who have nothing inside. Movies have heart - boom, boom, boom! Have mind [mimes lightning bolts shooting from his brain] Have power [points to his genitals] Have ambition!”

I need to check that out. 

I might do a list countdown after I watch some more of the big awards movies like: Birdman, Wild, Whiplash, Foxcatcher, Selma, and The Imitation Game. Oh, and I haven't seen Top 5 yet either.

Still, here is my top 12 as of now:

1. Boyhood

2. Snowpiercer

3. The Grand Budapest Hotel

4. Captain America: The Winter Soldier

5. Nightcrawler

6. Interstellar

7. Big Hero 6

8. Fury

9. Noah

10. How to Train Your Dragon 2

11. Edge of Tomorrow

12. Into the Woods

I have no doubt my list will change as I see some more movies.

I still need to see all those movies too. and John Wick

31) The Grand Seduction:  The first of two Canadian films on the list.  The Grand Seduction stars Taylor Kitsch as a big city doctor who gets stuck in small town Newfoundland.  The town needs a doctor so that the big pharmaceutical company will build a factory there.  So the town folk decide to find out what he likes and they seduce him in the hopes of him staying.  The Grand Seduction is directed by Don McKellar, who is probably best known for his end of the world story called Last Night.  It is also blessed with a very good cast that includes Gordon Pinsent and Brendan Gleeson.  The script is quite humorous and Kitsch and the rest do a nice job with it.  There are some particularly funny scenes in which the town folk try to look like they know anything about cricket, which is what the good doctor loves, and not hockey, the way most Canadians do.  The Grand Seduction is a small film but it has a nice feel good story and one that should be seen if you can find it.

Trivia:  Gordon Pinsent is actually from Newfoundland.

The_Grand_Seduction.jpg

31) (tie)The Amazing Spiderman 2:  The first remake/retooling/retelling/reboot was re-diculous.  This one is better in every way.  The story is more interesting, the cast is better and there isn't as much hokiness as the first one had.  Jamie Foxx plays Electro/Max Dillon.  He is a much more empathetic so called villain what they had in the first.  He's a man who has been ignored, sneered at, laughed at and looked upon as a peon.  So when he finds a new power that makes him not only close to invincible, but a man who is literally and figuratively in lights, he becomes a character that we can relate to.  This is one of the reasons ASM2 is a good film.  It's also not a retelling of Spider-man 2.  This is a story unto itself and this is what makes it a much better film than the first.

Trivia:  This was the largest production ever for a film in the history of New York City.

Jamie-Foxxs-Electro-look-unveiled-for-Am

30)  Divergent:  This is the decade of the YA novels.  Some are good, some are great and many are horrible.  This is one of the good ones.  Whoever was in charge of casting this film deserves special praise.  Not only is Shaileen Woodley outstanding in her role as the lead character, the divergent one, but two of her on screen lovers play pivotal roles here as well.  Ansel Elgort plays her brother and Miles Teller he nemesis.  Then you can add names like Theo James, Jai Courtney, Ashley Judd, Tony Goldwynn, Maggie Q and of course Kate Winslet and you have one of the best casts assembled this year.  The film is filled with action, intense fighting and training scenes and a rewarding climax.  I hope this is the beginning of a good series of films, but regardless of how the others turn out, this one is a good effort.

Trivia:  Shaileen Woodley was the only actress considered for the part.  No one else was permitted to audition.  

_1391454500.jpg

Edited by baumer
  • Like 5

29) Horrible Bosses 2:  While not as good a movie as the first, it is still one of the funnier films of the year.  That's enough to crack the top 30.

Trivia:  Has three Academy Award winners in the cast.  Jamie Foxx, Chistoph Waltz and Kevin Spacey.

Horrible-Bosses-2-pic-12.jpg

28) 300:  Rise of an Empire:  A prequel/sequel to 300 and one of the more original ways to tell a story.  This actually takes place before, after and during the events of the original film.  The battles are still exhilarating, the men still have abs of steel and the look of it is identical to the original.  What makes this film so good is Eva Green.  She has one of favourite lines of the year, "You fight much harder than you fuck."   Eva Green oozes sexuality in many of her roles, but in this one, she is the essence of sex, except that she would use her breasts and ass to kick to the shit out of you.  Without Green in this, it would still be good, but not nearly as good as it is now.

Trivia:  Eva Green revealed in an interview, that she underwent major preparation for the role. "I trained four hours a day with a group of stunt men from L.A. for three months before we began shooting. And then I continued training and sword fighting while we were shooting". She added that the training "was extremely liberating and empowering" and that her character of Artemesia is "the strongest, toughest, bravest character I've ever played".

la_ca_0416_300_rise_empire_146.jpg

27) Dawn of the Planet of the Apes:  A worthy sequel but with just something tiny missing from this one.  It's still a good film, but not quite on par with the original.  My favourite arc was that of Koba.  He ends up being a villain but I could understand why he wanted the humans dead.  He went through torture at the hands of "scientists".  And if you know what goes on in labs, what really goes on to in labs to lab animals, you would side with Koba too.  

Trivia:  The film takes place in 2026.

1404831786000-XXX-DAWN-PLANET-APES-MOV-J

• Like 5

Really bummed that I missed that. Seems like a really interesting film.

• Like 2

Dawn of the Planet of the Apes is my favorite movie of the year, but I'm happy it's at least in your Top 30. Nice list btw.

Dawn of the Planet of the Apes left me speechless, in my top 5, probably top 3 of 2014 for sure.

But I haven t seen any of the oscar films except Gone girl and IS so I have a lot of catch to do for 2014 even if the Oscar films line up doesn't do much for me on paper, I am sure there are good films among the bunch.

• Like 1