Ethan Hunt

top 50 films for the half decade; Kalo's list begins! (pg. 45)

#32: The Edge of Tomorrow (2014)

written by: Christopher McQuarrie, Jez & John-Henry Butterworth

directed by: Doug Liman

edge_of_tomorrow_np.jpg

Way more clever and entertaining (and funny!) than the trailers or initial round of marketing would have you believe. I don’t really need to tout this one too much because I know it’s a favorite here at BOF. I still don’t think they quite stuck the ending, otherwise it would’ve ended up considerably higher. If you haven’t seen it yet — go watch!

• Like 13

#31: Fast Five (2011)

written by: Chris Morgan

directed by: Justin Lin

Fast_Five_poster.jpg

Wildly entertaining, this fifth entry in the long-running franchise manages to pivot the entire saga from one sub-genre to another. It’s a classic “get the team back together and pull off a crazy heist” situation, cranked up to 11 with absurdly over-the-top stunts and driving. This is a movie that knows exactly what it is: winking at the audience while wowing them at the same time, with a little dollop of secret sauce: heart. The best in the series (to date).

• Like 8

#30: Exit Through the Gift Shop (2010)

directed by: Banksy

Poster-04.jpg

A documentary that’s not quite what it initially appears to be. It starts out as a documentary about street art, and evolves — abruptly and amusingly — into something far more sly and clever. I shall say no more.

• Like 4

#29: Captain Phillips (2013)

written by: Billy Ray

directed by: Paul Greengrass

captainphillips-poster999871393813.jpg

Greengrass does his usual taut, no-nonsense docudrama thing. Here, in a story about a modern-day pirate attack near Somalia, he manages to sketch out characters in thoughtful and interesting ways while not resorting to a lot of Hollywood tropes (speechifying, characters getting everything explained to them, etc). It really comes alive in the end as US Navy snipers target the pirates and Captain Phillips finally comes to terms with what just happened to him.

• Like 13

#28: The Life of Pi (2012)

written by: David Magee

directed by: Ang Lee

MV5BNTg2OTY2ODg5OF5BMl5BanBnXkFtZTcwODM5

A sumptuous, lush, and beautiful movie about the wonder of storytelling, the lies we tell ourselves to mask great pain, and a story of survival and triumph against all odds. It works in 2D as well, but in 3D it's something special... Ang Lee uses the format with all sorts of innovative and striking ways.

Edited by Telemachos
  • Like 9

#27: 127 Hours (2010)

written by: Danny Boyle, Simon Beaufoy

directed by: Danny Boyle

one_hundred_twenty_seven_hours.jpg

Another stunning movie from Danny Boyle, who’s really developed quite a resume over the years. This is another story of human triumph over physical adversity — in this case, James Franco plays Aron Ralston, who was hiking by himself in Utah and got trapped in a canyon with his hand pinned under a large boulder. You’d think that a movie taking place in one small location for most of its duration would feel contained, but Boyle takes it in the opposite direction: mixing video formats, split-screens, using a very up-tempo style. The climax and conclusion is extraordinarily powerful.

• Like 10

TDKR doesn't get enough credit. People like to dismiss it because it's "got too many plot holes" and "bane sounds stupid" and "it's too long" and "the ending is rubbish". They're just annoyed that there wasn't another Joker movie.

As for The Drop, I haven't seen it but I know lots of people think it's really good, and it's a Tom Hardy movie so it probably is.

lol, you can't tell me that valid criticisms are invalid and go on to throw out some half-arsed "we wanted Joker" as the real reason.

Nope, TDKR was a massive disappointment. The writing was shoddy, Bane was irrelevant, Cotillard wasted. It's one loud and unnecessary mess. Good thing TDK's ending doesn't need TDKR to exist at all because it added absolutely nothing. Most overrated blockbuster in recent memory, I'd argue there isn't enough backlash. As much money and orgasms Marvel gets, DC/Batman fans still rule the Internet, because let's face it, all these Nolan slaves came from TDK. No one cared about Memento or the Prestige. Batman and TDK made him, and besides Inception, he's not done much noteworthy since. 

• Like 1

lol, you can't tell me that valid criticisms are invalid and go on to throw out some half-arsed "we wanted Joker" as the real reason.

Nope, TDKR was a massive disappointment. The writing was shoddy, Bane was irrelevant, Cotillard wasted. It's one loud and unnecessary mess. Good thing TDK's ending doesn't need TDKR to exist at all because it added absolutely nothing. Most overrated blockbuster in recent memory, I'd argue there isn't enough backlash. As much money and orgasms Marvel gets, DC/Batman fans still rule the Internet, because let's face it, all these Nolan slaves came from TDK. No one cared about Memento or the Prestige. Batman and TDK made him, and besides Inception, he's not done much noteworthy since. 

On your argument about Nolan:

Besides Inception, he's only made 2 films since TDK. I mean, it sucks if a director has 2 bad films in a row, but in the grand scheme of things, 2 bad films means absolutely nothing.*

Plus, does it really matter what made Nolan? I mean, yes, TDK made Nolan and got him his large fanbase. However, that doesn't mean The Prestige and Memento stopped existing. Those movies were still there for people to go back to. And as people started going back, many ended up loving each film, and Nolan's status grew.

I really don't see what you're trying to criticize the guy for.

* On the topic of TDKR and Interstellar. I agree that they are significantly weaker than TDK/Inception, but I still like them.