rukaio101

Year 10 Discussion Thread

Due to my problems with anxiety I have chosen to take an indefinite hiatus from CAYOM. I might return next year. I will still be on the BOT forums.

I would have given away my Fool on the Hill and Foster's Kitchen scripts but due to the horrible reception of the scripts I wrote for this year's CAYOM (which were the first scripts I ever wrote, and just written for fun during my free time) I'm convinced you guys won't like them.

I won't be participating in Comic-Con or Fall Y10. Hope all goes well without me.

Since you guys hated my scripts so much, is there any advice you can give me so I can improve my scriptwriting skills when I come back? I have absolutely no experience with it.

Edited by department store basement

Due to my problems with anxiety I have chosen to take an indefinite hiatus from CAYOM. I might return next year. I will still be on the BOT forums.

I would have given away my Fool on the Hill and Foster's Kitchen scripts but due to the horrible reception of the scripts I wrote for this year's CAYOM (which were the first scripts I ever wrote, and just written for fun during my free time) I'm convinced you guys won't like them.

I won't be participating in Comic-Con or Fall Y10. Hope all goes well without me.

Since you guys hated my scripts so much, is there any advice you can give me so I can improve my scriptwriting skills when I come back? I have absolutely no experience with it.

Trust me, it took a while for me to get started, but here are a few tips to get started:

1. Length is often pretty important. It's very rare for a film less than 2k words to receive a lot of acclaim, as longer plots allow for more detail in the plot and certain moments that you think really matter. Shorter plots are perfectly acceptable for fillers, but you do need to go the extra mile for your larger scale films.
  2. A lot of the issues with your plots, from what I've read so far, is that they often border into ridiculous territory, and plot points that don't make sense in a real life film. Ridiculousness can work well, but it's very important to remain grounded in your storytelling. Try to think about whether the films you are seeing are actually feasible, and if you are not sure, ask one of us.
  3. Most good films have three components, much as any argument does: ethos, where you respect what the film is trying to say, pathos, which focuses on a strong emotional core to the film, and logos, which offers viable constructions of said film. These are pretty common in argumentative theory, but you can use them to create better movies. Just ask yourself these questions: What is my film saying? Is it emotionally resonant without being grossly over-manipulative? Are the people behind and in front of the camera well matched for the film, and is it well structured?
  4. One way a lot of great films happen in this game is through consultation with other players. Most users have sent at least one script to someone else to help look over and edit. We want to read good films, and we want to help you succeed, so just ask us if you have any questions, even if it's who to cast in a role.
  5. One of the most important steps to becoming a better writer: Synthesize some of your favorite works of fiction (and watch more movies and read more books!), and think about why you like them and what made them work for you. You shouldn't try to mimic exactly what these movies do, but they are very good stepping stones to think about your ideals as a writer and work towards making better films.
  • Like 4

Sorry I've been a bit inactive recently. The wifi in my flat has stopped working so I've been forced to limit my internet time to the brief periods I can visit my nearby library or anywhere else that has free wifi. And, of course, I've been using those moments to do uni stuff so I've not been able to post here much.

I will say though that I have finished reading all the films this tri and am in the midst of writing up reviews/predictions. So be afraid. Be very very afraid.

Dude, don't worry if your films aren't an immediate hit, especially if this is your first time. Nobody starts writing masterpieces first time (except me, but I'm aiming to be a professional writer, so I kinda need to be awesome). Even mainstays in this game have their fair share of critical flops. And believe me when I say you've had a lot better start than some people. Certainly your films have their fair share of flaws, but your writing itself is easy to read and I can see a lot of potential for growth. 

The best thing you can do at this point is to keep at it and keep learning from other people. Look to see what works and what doesn't. Sure the path may be hard and you may trip a few times, but that'll only make it all the more satisfying when you do write a film that knocks it out of the park.

• Like 4

I'll be dropping in a CAYOM 1.0 Oscar contender into the 3rd trimester. Will have to rework a little bit of the casting and will probably take that time to give the plot summary a once-over.

For those who played CAYOM 1.0, it is "The First Month."