John Marston

Friday, Dec. 26 Box Office: Hobbit 15.6, Unbroken 12.3, ITW 12.2, NATM 7.4 (full BOM weekend #s on p14)

“Armies” was heading for as much as $44 million for the three days, $57 million for the four days and a 12-day total hitting $170 million.

“Unbroken” and “Into the Woods” generated solid second-day totals in the $12 million to $14 million range. Angelina Jolie’s war drama could finish the four days with as much as $52 million while four-day estimates for “Into the Woods” ranged from $46 million to $49 million.

variety.com/2014/film/news/box-office-interview-heads-for-3-million-weekend-hobbit-unbroken-woods-surging-1201387589/

As the holiday movie-going developed on the day after Christmas, early estimates for the day saw 

Peter Jackson’s fantasy from Warner Bros., which ranked third on Christmas Day behind Universal’s Unbroken and Disney’s Into the Woods, finish in first place with a Friday gross of about $15 million, setting itself up to collect about $40 million over Friday to Sunday, retaining the box office crown for the second weekend in a row.

But while The Hobbit saw its grosses grow by about five percent from Thursday to Friday andUnbroken and Into the Woods, which were ranked one and two on Christmas Day, both dipped by around 20 percent, Sony’s The Interview saw its box office traffic drop by around 35 to 45 percent.

http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/news/box-office-hobbit-tops-friday-760405?utm_source=twitter

Edited by John Marston
  • Like 5

That's very impressive for Unbroken and Hobbits. Not sure if ITW was predicted to top $50M over the holiday weekend, but for it to be based on a popular musical and a with star studded cast, I expected to do higher numbers than $46-$49M this weekend.

Edited by sfran43

That's very impressive for Unbroken and Hobbits. Not sure if ITW was predicted to top $50M over the holiday weekend, but for it to be based on a popular musical and a with star studded cast, I expected to do higher numbers than $46-$49M this weekend.

Ehh..... ITW is a hard sell based on material and it wasn't in enough theatres imo to drive up more business. It was in less than 2500. 

I kind of agree but 46-49M is almost what it cost to make... 

Benjamin Button dropped 15% on this same day after opening lower than this year openers. So the drops are good enough. Expect now a 5-10% decrease on Sat and another 20-25% on Sunday.

Giving both 13m Friday, the weekend should be 33-35m.

The Hobbit 3 jump is nice too, lower than ROTK but that was a given after a much better Christmas increase. Following ROTK rest of the wknd would give it 39-40m weekend. It could have a better IM than that as the Friday increase as been lower. We will see.

Weekend looking at (If Hobbit actual is 15m and the openers 13m):

The Hobbit 3: 40m 3-day, 53m 4-day

Unbroken and Into the Woods: 34m 3-day, 49m 4-day

• Like 1

Hmm at 49 million, itw four day would outpace les mis four day and I know that's not an apples to apples comparison cus mis opened on a Tuesday but still... Like that's pretty strong that it's matching a musical which is much more famous and has a much hugsr in built audience.

Hobbit 3 now seems poised for 275+ :)

Possible, but unlikely imo. If it follows ROTK till the first weekend of January, and then follows DOS drops from there, it will finish at...259m. Well, DOS did not have great legs through January, but Hobbit 3 faces an eventually bigger month with Taken 3 on the second weekend of the year.

I'm giving it 265m atm.

Edited by picores