John Marston

Friday, Dec. 26 Box Office: Hobbit 15.6, Unbroken 12.3, ITW 12.2, NATM 7.4 (full BOM weekend #s on p14)

So it seems that the PTA for PTA's Inherent Vice isn't going to be good

There is absolutely nothing for GA in Inherent Vice, it s a weird movie from a weirdo writer. Can t say that I am surprised. Even The Big Lebowski seems tame on the craziness scale next to Vice.

I do care about ANNIE.

Everyone else is too cool to care about a film that critics told them to hate...

I just have no interest in the story.

• Like 2

Pretty sure critics told me to hate Dracula, Exodus, Horrible Bosses 2, between others, but I liked and care about them. So no, I don't care about Annie because critics told me to, I don't care about Annie because it has no appeal to me. 

• Like 3

Holy shit at Inherent Vice's limited number. 16 locations and it can only manage a $12,500 PTA? :o

Havign read the book I'm not surprised. Pynchon's a great writer but he's mercilessly obtuse. After The Master I think a lot of people will also approach PTA with a little more trepedation than they'd otherwise have.

• Like 1

Why would Selma do so well? Why would it do bigger numbers than The Butler? Do take in consideration that I have not seen any trailer for it.

Selma is an actual awards contender, it doesn't look hamfisted, it's about MLK which is much more iconic than The Butler, it's a much better movie (well I haven't seen it but I'm assuming anything with a 100% and 9/10 average after 65 reviews would have to be better than the piece of trash movie called The Butler)

Selma is an actual awards contender, it doesn't look hamfisted, it's about MLK which is much more iconic than The Butler, it's a much better movie (well I haven't seen it but I'm assuming anything with a 100% and 9/10 average after 65 reviews would have to be better than the piece of trash movie called The Butler)

The Butler was a huge hit over here and I liked it. Curious about Selma with everything you guys say here.

The Butler was a huge hit over here and I liked it. Curious about Selma with everything you guys say here.

It was a big hit, but Selma has every reason to be bigger. And I'm not just saying that because I despised the Butler for everything it was. (In fact I had first doubts about Selma because David Oyelowo and Oprah put a sour taste in my mouth after that)

It was a big hit, but Selma has every reason to be bigger. And I'm not just saying that because I despised the Butler for everything it was. (In fact I had first doubts about Selma because David Oyelowo and Oprah put a sour taste in my mouth after that)

I don't think Selma will be bigger here. Nobody knows about it and it will be released by a small distributor. But I am sure it can be better than the Butler.

I don't think Selma will be bigger here. Nobody knows about it and it will be released by a small distributor. But I am sure it can be better than the Butler.

Oh, I'm talking domestic US, however once it gains awards traction it should pull decent overseas numbers. MLK is one of the most prominent American figures so a good movie about him should be a big domestic pull.

• Like 1

I'm curious why some people think Selma is going to explode at the boxoffice. Twelve years a slave had star names, a huge subject matters, a director with his own fan base, tons of awards hype against a big crowd pleaser(Gravity) lots of media coverage due to Lupita's fashion and Brad Pitt but still couldn't get close to even €100m in the USA.

Selma has no stars save Oprah, a title that means nothing to most people, is not billed as a biopic of MLK as such, is likely to go up for awards against Boyhood which hardly anyone saw, hasn't performed particularly well in limited release, yet some here are expecting it to make €150-200m.

People had strong views about Iraq but that didn't make them rush out to see, as entertainment, stories they could watch for free on the news.

Edited by All about Eve
  • Like 1

Yeah Selma is being way over predicted on here. For one to have a great PTA it needed to be a lot better than it did this weekend, and remember how difficult it was to pull people to the theaters for slave? Some people just aren't going to go, same with Sniper but the appeal is wider there.

I'm curious why some people think Selma is going to explode at the boxoffice. Twelve years a slave had star names, a huge subject matters, a director with his own fan base, tons of awards hype against a big crowd pleaser(Gravity) lots of media coverage due to Lupita's fashion and Brad Pitt but still couldn't get close to even €100m in the USA.

Selma has no stars save Oprah, a title that means nothing to most people, is not billed as a biopic of MLK as such, is likely to go up for awards against Boyhood which hardly anyone saw, hasn't performed particularly well in limited release, yet some here are expecting it to make €150-200m.

People had strong views about Iraq but that didn't make them rush out to see, as entertainment, stories they could watch for free on the news.

The Butler (much worse reviews and awards support, same actors in David Oyelewo and Oprah) made $116M domestic. Also, the audience for The Butler doesn't need Selma to be called KING to know it's about MLK. They would most likely have some awareness of that already, the trailers make it pretty clear and there's plenty of advertising for it if you consume the right channels/social media. It's going into wide release the weekend before the holiday that's in honor of MLK. But keep doubting. This is going to be "Why would Unbroken make more than War Horse?" all over again.

Edited by BoxOfficeChica