John Marston

Friday, Dec. 26 Box Office: Hobbit 15.6, Unbroken 12.3, ITW 12.2, NATM 7.4 (full BOM weekend #s on p14)

To be fair to Exodus, I don't think God having a child avatar is too out of character. Jesus really up talks the Children and it also fits the Biblical theme of the small and meek being the most.

It's an interesting directorial choice, I don't see how it's insulting.

The child thing with Jesus is about viewing the world in an innocent, loving way instead of a cynical one. God Himself, however, is viewed as a father figure (we're supposed to be His children), and given what goes on in the story of Exodus we're not exactly talking about innocent love here, so the most obvious implication of this depiction would be that God is childish (in a negative sense). Perhaps the intention was for God to be childlike (I don't know--maybe not), which has a totally different connotation and is basically what you're saying, but in this context I can understand why people would be offended.

Edited by Melvin Frohike
  • Like 2

People like you are probably the best to judge the film to be honest. I'm sure if i didn't know the story already or if i hadn't seen other faithful adaptions like 'The Ten Commandments' then i'm sure i would probably of enjoyed the movie a lot more.

Having said that, i'm not so sure as the film imo isn't a good film anyway you look at it.

I will definitely give the longer cut another chance though when it comes out on DVD/Blu-Ray.

You are probably right yeah.

My biggest problems were the fact that the movie drags a lot before the plagues start and I really didn't like any of the actors very much. Both Bale and Edgerton were ok at best.

• Like 1

Overall, the box office was quite strong on the last weekend of 2014: the Top 12 earned an estimated $189.4 million, which makes this the highest-grossing weekend of the year.

Seriously... this weekend was the highest  grossing all year? Wow just goes to show how crappy of a year we've had. Not a single weekend where the top 12 grossed more than 200m.
  • Like 1

Overall, the box office was quite strong on the last weekend of 2014: the Top 12 earned an estimated $189.4 million, which makes this the highest-grossing weekend of the year.

Seriously... this weekend was the highest  grossing all year? Wow just goes to show how crappy of a year we've had. Not a single weekend where the top 12 grossed more than 200m.

I told you all in the end of 2013 that 2014 was going to be weak based on the schedule and everyone criticized me. Honestly, I thought the year was better than I expected. The movies in the schedule were all incredibly weak. 

You are probably right yeah.

My biggest problems were the fact that the movie drags a lot before the plagues start and I really didn't like any of the actors very much. Both Bale and Edgerton were ok at best.

It seemed to me that just like Prometheus, Exodus suffered from a ton of stuff being cut from the film.

I mean there are whole scenes that are not even in the film (like the golden ram and the 'orgy' scene, the killing of the first borns of the slaves, Moses put on the Nile by his mother etc, etc), i'm guessing they were filmed as they are integral to the whole Exodus story.

Also there is very little character build up, Sigourney poor lass was in like 2 quick scenes, Aaron Paul, well i forgot he was even in the film.

Scott was told to hit a 2.5 hour runtime, i'm sure of it and the film has suffered for it.

• Like 2

It seemed to me that just like Prometheus, Exodus suffered from a ton of stuff being cut from the film.

I mean there are whole scenes that are not even in the film (like the golden ram and the 'orgy' scene, the killing of the first borns of the slaves, Moses put on the Nile by his mother etc, etc), i'm guessing they were filmed as they are integral to the whole Exodus story.

Also there is very little character build up, Sigourney poor lass was in like 2 quick scenes, Aaron Paul, well i forgot he was even in the film.

Scott was told to hit a 2.5 hour runtime, i'm sure of it and the film has suffered for it.

I am definitely curious to see the Extended Edition, if that is released on Bluray. 

• Like 3

I didn't see Exodus, and have no interest in watching it at all. But when I watched the trailer, the first thing I thought was "Why isn't the iconic 'parting the red sea' shot in the trailer". Even as someone who isn't Christian, I know that the shot is iconic. I thought they were saving it for the movie itself so that the audience sees it for the first time in the theater, didn't know they weren't even including it at all.

I didn't see Exodus, and have no interest in watching it at all. But when I watched the trailer, the first thing I thought was "Why isn't the iconic 'parting the red sea' shot in the trailer". Even as someone who isn't Christian, I know that the shot is iconic. I thought they were saving it for the movie itself so that the audience sees it for the first time in the theater, didn't know they weren't even including it at all.

The scene exists but it was made in a different way. It is all over the trailers. I don't think that was the problem. That part of the movie was incredibly epic. 

Edited by CJohn

When the very first Teaser came out and it had that shot at the end of one 'wall' of water shot head on, i instantly said "Scott is going to make it a bloody mega tsunami or something".

I was hoping to be proved wrong but i wasn't lol.

When the very first Teaser came out and it had that shot at the end of one 'wall' of water shot head on, i instantly said "Scott is going to make it a bloody mega tsunami or something".

I was hoping to be proved wrong but i wasn't lol.

Yeah, it was obvious in that teaser that it was going to be a tsunami.

Meanwhile Battle of the Five Armies's 2nd weekend in Portugal was bigger than the OW of Desolation of Smaug. Huge results for everything overall. 

Awesome! It might be the same here. Can't wait for tomorrow to get some numbers :D How much did it drop?

Edited by James

Yeah, it was obvious in that teaser that it was going to be a tsunami.

It was still a very nice set piece, just not what it should have been.

If you asked most people the one iconic thing from the Exodus story, the vast majority i'm sure would say "The Red Sea parting by Moses" and its not even in the film. It could of looked so spectacular with todays technology.

• Like 2

Awesome! It might be the same here. Can't wait for tomorrow to get some numbers :D How much did it drop?

When compared to last weekend, only Thursday dropped because it was Christmas day and most people don't go to theaters on that day over here. Friday, Saturday and Sunday were absolutely gigantic. Exodus is also doing incredibly well over here.

Edited by CJohn
  • Like 1