Jonwo

Musicals you would like to see as Movies

With Into the Woods set to do well at the box office, what other stage musicals would you like to see adapted as a film? 

My first choice would be Miss Saigon, it's one of a few stage musicals that lend itself to a film and the staging is pretty cinematic anyway. Director wise, Lee Daniels name has been mentioned as a potential director but I think someone like Paul Greengrass or Sam Mendes would be good. 

My other choices are Wicked which I think could be huge in the right hands but they cannot simply plonk the stage version on film, they need to make necessary changes and La Cage Aux Folles, the original play and film was remade as The Birdcage but the stage musical version which was successful has never been adapted as a film.

I said in another thread ASSASSINS. my favourite sondheim. almost unadaptable. would be ballsy as fuck.

Assassins would be hard to adapt and harder to market as a film. Out of all the other Sondheim musicals, my choices to do as a film would be Company, Follies and Sunday in the Park with George but those would hard to appeal to a wider audience, Company less so.

I haven't seen it but I'm surprised Book of Mormon hasn't made it to theaters

Mormon hasn't rolled out to the rest of the world yet apart from London and I think the humour wouldnt translate in non English countries, im sure a film will happen eventually

• Like 1

I haven't seen it but I'm surprised Book of Mormon hasn't made it to theaters

How about Book of Mormon gets a movie and Team America gets a stage play?

Insert Joker not sure if serious meme

Although I was joking, I think it'd be interesting to see the stage musical re-adapted to film, like a live-action, more mature, more musical-y version of the original film I guess.

I'd love to see more musicals. I absolutely adore them but I've only seen 2 stage musicals, Les Mis (saw for birthday this year) and The Lion King. It's so expensive and I have to go all the way to London, so I very rarely am able to watch them.

Next to Normal, In the Heights, Next to fucking Normal, Aida, Assassins (though it would make zero dollars), Urinetown (though it would make next to zero dollars), Next to Normal, Memphis, and, uh, Next to Normal.

Aida actually was developed as an animated film before they turned it into a stage musical. I think while more mature than the other Disney shows, I think it would work as a live action film musical

The Book of Mormon (maybe get Phil Lord and Chris Miller involved... I'd love to see them and Parker/Stone work together) 

Avenue Q (can't go wrong with puppets...)

Wicked (only if Idina Menzel reprises her role... after "Let it Go", Universal would be foolish not to get her involved on the film version) 

Wicked (only if Idina Menzel reprises her role... after "Let it Go", Universal would be foolish not to get her involved on the film version) 

Idina's too old role for the role but I wouldn't be surprised if she had some sort of cameo, perhaps as Elphaba's mother,