#ED

American Sniper (2014)

American Sniper  

89 members have voted

1. 1. American Sniper

I really really wanted to like it, but it falls just short. The movie is confused on what story it wants to tell, it seems to get lost shifting back and forth from War to family life.

The cinematography is unfortunately bland and flat. Its try's to be gritty and real but is far to pristine and digital/TV looking. Gotta say it, should have shot on good old fashion film.

Cooper is fine but is never really given a chance to stand out and shine. He kind of just takes us form scene to scene.

Some random moments of obviously distracting CGI even though its used mildly. Complain about Michael Bay all you want but at least the man always gets REAL helicopters.

They also do that thing where the side character has like 0 lines for 70 minutes, then all of a sudden in war he randomly opens up about his family and his aspirations when its soooooo obvious they are going to kill him in 5,4,3,2... yep he's dead.

You know the minute he opens his mouth he's dead, he might as well be wearing a red shirt. Its so blunted that they are trying to make you "care" 10 seconds before his death. Annoyed me

Also I hated that the guy who kills Kyle in the end just basically winks at the camera like he's going to kill him.

The best part of the picture was actually the end credits. End of the day I'm glad this story was told but the film just didn't quite come together.

It felt lazy overall

C+ (78)

Edited by Jay Hollywood
  • Like 1

I don't download, my man. I don't belong to a single torrent, etc. I only know because so many of my friends, mostly television fiends unwilling to pay for premium cable, mentioned it that it leaked a few weeks ago. I see everything via TCM, premium cable, Netflix Instant, RedBox and actually going to a movie theaters. In short, I pay for everything I view.

Edited by JohnnyGossamer
  • Like 3

I pay a monthly subscription so I can see any film I want in theatres as many times as I want so me downloading a movie to see instead of going to the cinema actually spares a seat for another paying customer. I see nothing wrong with that. Now if I was downloading a blueray once released online then that would be wrong.

• Like 1

It is quite traditional story telling at first.

You have  a man raised in a quite a conservative setting, who is very patriotic. Then see's his country under attack and responds to the call and wages war.

Starts the war with him being a hero and wanting to make a difference.

However the movie then takes a more modern approach when the patriot sees the war play out.

(sort of like at first many were gleefully beating the War Drums to Baghdad and then public opinions changed).

He tries to stick the old ways but everyone else around him isn't and grows disillusioned. 

So it seems to be at first a very pro war film but its actually sort of anti war film.

B+

Solid if unspectacular. Lots of moments are admirable, though have been done better in other movies. Cooper's great, this is probs his best work. The theme of the film/nature of the protagonist is an interesting juxtaposition. I'd give this a B, which is admittedly the most I've liked a Clint movie in aggggeees.

• Like 1

Most of actors are sincere and some battle scenes are truly suspenseful. But above all, its depictions about battle-scarred souls are prominently haunting. Clint Eastwood's insightful touches about violence & its aftermath are always noteworthy. The leading character's naive, macho aspirations became devastated and even at this late days specter of war never forgot him. To me, it's neither prejudiced "Viva la America" propaganda nor boring apologue. Just unforgettably placid, thoughtful memoir about sad reality. 

Edited by bartonfink

Cooper's never been better and it's a pretty solid film overall but it kinda lost me in that sandstorm and never got me back afterward, especially not with that "February 2, 2013" telegraph. But I still liked most of it, especially the war scenes that were very suspenseful.

7/10

• Like 1

The film had felt realistic and had personally felt like as if I was apart of it and while this is based on a true story things are different than real life and the performances weren't bad especially Bradley Cooper he did a decent job as Chris Kyle although things different than real Chris Kyle. I really liked this movie really high B+(89)

• Like 1

American Sniper (IMAX)

3PM-about 90% full! Mostly older folks.

Trailers:

Avengers 2-quite a bit of oohs and talking.

Terminator: Same as above.
Furious 7: Some laughs.

Heart of the Sea: Someone went "Hey this moved!" (New trailer but they didn't change the date!)

Jupiter Ascending: I hear "Not this movie AGAIN!" (I have to agree there

Movie: Really well made. Very sad also. Cooper did a great job. Some great sound and cinematography as well.

A

• Like 1