John Marston

Top 20 Most Pirated Movies of 2014

That movie looked anything but epic. Well, I guess it did look like an epic turd. Never watched it and never will.

Well, it will end up in Top 20 highest grossing movies of the year here, beating films like Planet of the Apes or Edge of Tomorrow so some people clearly liked it. As I said before, it's more of an european thing.

Legend of Hercules oh god...

I wouldn't even THINK of pirating that film (well I guess I don't pirate any movie but whatever) good on anyone who likes the movie but I wouldn't waste an hour and a half of my life on that film.

I know we can't convert these into actual ticket sales, but even if we assumed half of these people would be forced to watch it in the cinema or buy it on DVD, there would be at least $90m more for Wolf of Wall Street for example and that would go a long way in helping flicks like that get more financing and help the people in the industry more. I don't mean just the CEOs, big name producers and stars, but also the little guys will have more say in their wages. 

Animators are a huge beneficiary too as the costs are now so high and there's been even a bloody wage fixing scandal across the studios. 

But as long as responsibility goes unchecked and studios fail to deal with the current modern marketplace, things will get worse. 

But such a close second is incredible considering so many people watched it in theaters AND bought original DVD/Blu Rays unlike Wolf. 

Not really. You gotta realize that most of the downloads come from Europe. Here (in my country I mean), it's unthinkable someone would actually buy a DVD or especially a Bluray (considering they are more expensive than the ticket prices for cinemas which is ridiculous - if someone didn't bother to pay the money for a ticket they clearly won't spend more on a DVD) when you can sit comfortably at home and download the movie inthe same quality in less than 10 minutes. So the DVD/Blu don't influence the downloads almost at all.

• Like 1

Thing is I think Piracy really impacts the Award films like Wolf in terms of sales.

Wolf was also a cult hit amount the young demo with its wild antics and content.

There is  like a gag in the corporate world now when something becomes a bit risky "hey don't go Wolf of Wall Street On us!"

I know we can't convert these into actual ticket sales, but even if we assumed half of these people would be forced to watch it in the cinema or buy it on DVD, there would be at least $90m more for Wolf of Wall Street for example and that would go a long way in helping flicks like that get more financing and help the people in the industry more. I don't mean just the CEOs, big name producers and stars, but also the little guys will have more say in their wages. 

Animators are a huge beneficiary too as the costs are now so high and there's been even a bloody wage fixing scandal across the studios. 

But as long as responsibility goes unchecked and studios fail to deal with the current modern marketplace, things will get worse. 

lol what is that

I actually expected higher numbers, but I bet many downloads are not counted in this list.

I do get the piracy culture, I mean, people won't buy home media here in Brazil, it's not a thing here, nobody in my family buys blu-rays or DVDs. They better upgrade Netflix here (we don't usually get new releases) or they will keep losing money, people won't leave their houses to buy an expensive blu-ray, but they will gladly pay a monthly membership to watch them at home. Buying home media is more of a collector's thing.

Edited by JohnnY