The Panda

DAJKS's (And Everyone Else's) Worst of 2014 (baumer starts pg 6)

So in the first post I'm up for making a list. When and where and how should I go about that? :)

I should add that I really like your #1 pick. I never saw the film and while I don't plan on it anytime soon, A LOT of people at my school talked about it (and we live in Canada).

Edited by DAJK
  • Like 1

So in the first post I'm up for making a list. When and where and how should I go about that? :)

You can do this in this thread, whenever you start I will rename it DAJK's Top x Worst movies of 2014.  You can do a top 10 or 20 or whatever.

• Like 2

Number 2

Winter's Tale

154732.jpg

There were two quite awful Valentine's Day movies this year, and this is the one that has stuck out and haunted my memory of how atrociously bad it is since I saw it.  Apparently this movie was supposed to have tear-jerking moments, but the only sad thing about it was seeing so many talented actors fall so low and give such awful performances to the point I don't even know if they're good actors anymore.  I tried following along with this movie, I tried to let myself get invested, but there was absolutely nothing that this film was able to offer, it tried so hard to be something and it was evident (and not in a good way).  I try so hard to blot this experience from my memory but all that happens is I see that same stupid, sparkly Pegasus thing and Russell Crowe giving quite possibly the worst performance of his entire career.  To put it simply, Winter's Tale manages to make the Hallmark Christmas Films look like It's a Wonderful Life in comparison.

This wasn't that bad eother. I have a feeling you chose the best movies of the year instead of the worst. Well, America aside :lol:

• Like 1

You can do this in this thread, whenever you start I will rename it DAJK's Top x Worst movies of 2014. You can do a top 10 or 20 or whatever.

Awesome! I'll do a top 10 with an honerable mention (in this thread if that's okay) and ill start pretty soon, sometime this morning (cause its still early in the morning where I live)

Hey guys I was wondering if I could get help with something. I'm trying to post my honourable mention, but the site won't let me post, saying "you are not allowed to use that image extension on this community" which is probably referring to the poster of the movie I have selected. How can I fix this? Is it a problem with the particular image, or what can I do?

Hey guys I was wondering if I could get help with something. I'm trying to post my honourable mention, but the site won't let me post, saying "you are not allowed to use that image extension on this community" which is probably referring to the poster of the movie I have selected. How can I fix this? Is it a problem with the particular image, or what can I do?

Sounds like it's saved as a weird filetype (e.g. not .jpg or .png). Find another image of the poster and see if it's better.

• Like 2

Sounds like it's saved as a weird filetype (e.g. not .jpg or .png). Find another image of the poster and see if it's better.

Would it help if I copy the URL of the picture, then put it into the post where the poster should be? When I post that, is the picture going to be there or just the letters and / and : of the URL?

• Like 1

Okay so with this post I'm just going to get something out of the way. I didn't do what I was planning on doing and watch a slew of bad movies like Legend of Hercules and (following Blank's advice) Saving Christmas. Rather, this list is going to be comprised of films that I was looking forward to (most of them enough so to go see in a theatre) and really disappointed me in different ways. Everyone knew Legend of Hercules was awful for example, so including it on the list would take a spot away from one of my "disappointing worst" movies of the year.

So without further ado, lets get one out of the way with my:

Dis-Honorable Mention

Dracula Untold

http://spinoff.comicbookresources.com/wp-content/uploads/2014/06/dracula-untold-poster.jpg

Upon "initial viewing" I thought Dracula Untold was at least a passable movie with some forgettable moments. With further thought, the film is more forgettable with a few passable moments. While it isn't boring, nor is it truly awful. The writing is all over the place, and as I say in a review I have written elsewhere, the storytelling was just plain messy. There was very little time given to setting up this world and the characters, and as a result the film suffered from lack of sympathy for any characters. There are a few scenes that when I think back on them I'm like "why were those even there?" Most scenes weren't included to serve the story and make it better, but rather just to briefly set up for an action sequence. And while the action scenes are good, most are just as forgettable as the rest of the film. Besides the titular character (to whom I will address momentarily), I didn't give a crap about a single character. I never once thought "oh no, I hope Dracula's wife is okay!" Instead, this movie didn't suck me in at all, and I would think instead "I wonder if Sarah Gordon's contract is for more that one movie..." The child actor in it was utterly annoying, but maybe that isn't a complete fault of the young actor, but rather the writing team, which turned his character into a chilce character that sticks out like a sore thumb for so long, you begin to wish he had just been taken into Dominic Cooper's army at the beginning of the film, and we would never have to deal with him again. However, this movie doesn't top my list, and that is because on top of all the "blah" in this film, there are a few redeeming qualities. First and foremost (and I think most people who have seen this film can agree) that Luke Evans, despite not being given much to work with, shines in the role. I think he is the perfect actor to play Dracula, and whether or not Universal decides to keep this movie as a whole as part of their Monster Universe's continuity, they should definitely consider keeping Luke Evans for future roles as Dracula. It was his performance that made me care (even just the slightest bit) about the character. Other than Luke Evans, the scene with all the bats that was showcased heavily in the marketing, was a very cool scene. As was a scene near the end of the movie where Evans goes full-out-Dracula. But, despite some redeeming qualities, Dracula Untold is not a good movie, and is lucky to miss out on my top 10. 

(if the image comes out wrong, I'll edit it)

EDIT: Dang it, guess that didn't work :( ill figure it out later, but for now, I've got everything else up there.

Edited by DAJK
  • Like 2

#10 Worst Movie of 2014

Maleficent

329px-Maleficent_IMAX_Poster.jpg

Overall, Angelina Jolie has had a very good year. She had a very solid directorial effort with Unbroken (which I just saw tonight to cap off a crazy day) and she was also very very good in this mega hit. Sadly, the rest of the movie around her falls apart from the beginning. I don't rank a movie as one of my worst for the year by it just not being my type of movie, and I didn't do the same for Maleficent; however I can say that it really isn't the type of movie I would be into. From the marketing, it looked very good, and like something I would truly enjoy. However, while the trailers were good, they were also misleading. The film was rather action-less, and lacked any creativity. It did not provide any of the creepy or scaryness factor that the trailers seemed to promise. While the action sequence at the beginning of the film was good, Scott Mendelson from Forbes said it perfectly. I am paraphrasing of course but "the effects were good, however not particularly realistic." ( completely butchered that sentence I know). The point is, Maleficent wasn't even all that entertaining. Some of the lines were just cringe-worthy, and (sorry but) Elle Fanning wasn't good, and the Prince was just... no. I really also thought that Disney wasted some great storytelling potential by making (spoiler) Maleficent into the misunderstood good guy. This formula is getting just as tired as the most lazy YA adaptation, and that's saying something. Other than Jolie, the movie's redeeming factors were the final showdown with the dragon, Sharlto Copley's acting (but not the character), and Lana Del Ray's cover for Upon a Dream (which is from the trailer). And I can't critisize the movie completely, as it did entertain most of the younger children, which I guess was it's ultimate goal (a point I will mention again on this list). There. I found some. Some redeeming factors from this mess of a film.  

• Like 1

#9 Worst Movie of 2014

Muppets Most Wanted

256px-Muppets-Most-Wanted-Poster.jpg

I can't express how bad I feel about including Muppets Most Wanted on my "worst of 2014" list. This isn't one of the worst movies of the year, but I included it because it is one of the, if not the most, disappointing movies I've seen in a while, as the 2011 Muppets movie is on my top 10 of that year. Here's an analogy, I'm not sure if it'll make much sense but here we go:

Have you ever heard of told a joke that was really funny (this joke being the 2011 Muppets film)? However, at the same time, a five year old is around when the joke is told, and sort of picks up on it. Suddenly, this five year old starts telling that joke over and over again, getting it wrong or missing the punchline every time. However, you still laugh at this kid, because no matter how much they mess up the joke, they are still cute because they are really little, and the whole scene is one where you say "awe that's adorable" (or "OHMYGOD that's annoying" depending on who you are).

This joke retold by the five year old is Muppets Most Wanted. I adore the Muppets characters, but I did not adore this movie. It was really sad to see such a gem that is 2011's The Muppets followed up by such a lackluster effort. Despite a few clever jokes, puns and cameos, and the musical number "We're Doing a Sequel" which was very fun; the movie was ultimately forgettable, which was not what I was hoping for at all.

Edited by DAJK
  • Like 1

LOL, I was pleasantly surprised by Muppets: Most Wanted . I never expected them to be able to follow it up.

That's almost exactly what my friend who saw it with me told me. I do feel the opposite however: I thought that it was going to be a respectable follow up but instead I found it to be a bland kids movie that just so happened to showcase some if my favourite characters. Edited by DAJK
  • Like 1