Hernan Gonzalez

Minions OS Thread | 1 BILLION WW CROSSED!! | 6m weekend | $811.4m OS total

Glad you guys worked things out. :) We can all different opinions and express them appropriately.

Just wanted to bring up the reminder for those that didn't know, the use of the word "retarded" is frowned upon this site (as well as other words). There are rare instances where if it's from a joke (like tropic thunder: never go full retard) it's okay. However if your just using it in a way to call people stupid or any negative attribute, it's better to use words like "stupid" or just say "not too bright". If you have any questions, feel free to ask. :)

• Like 2

Amazing article at Forbes on the Minion success and its importance to the industry. It's as if the writer was reading the forum! 

I couldn't have said it better!!

FORBES: 

Even as someone who didn’t care for the last two Despicable Me films (I enjoyed the first one), there is something to be said about the “from-the-ground-up” popularity of the franchise.

It was an original property, not a rebooted franchise revival meant to cash in on nostalgia-driven adults and/or pre-sold IP value. And as annoying as you might find the Minions, they are not intended for you. They are pop culture icons created in this generation explicitly intended to be enjoyed by children of this generation. In an era where Hollywood seems dead-set on shoveling yesterday’s heroes down the throats of today’s children, that’s not nothing. I didn’t care for Minions, although my daughter did and it clearly brought much amusement to countless kids this summer.

When I was a kid, I would have bemoaned such a small and seemingly insignificant trifle of a movie reaching such box office milestones. Today it feels almost refreshing. But that’s a conversation we can have when a certain kid-friendly home invasion comedy turns 25 years old this November. So yeah, Minions, starring Sandra Bullock and Jon Hamm, has become (for the moment) the tenth-biggest movie of all time. I like surprises like that every once in awhile.

Edited by MinaTakla
  • Like 3

On 24.10.2015, 16:03:03, MinaTakla said:

Amazing article at Forbes on the Minion success and its importance to the industry. It's as if the writer was reading the forum! 

I couldn't have said it better!!

FORBES: 

Even as someone who didn’t care for the last two Despicable Me films (I enjoyed the first one), there is something to be said about the “from-the-ground-up” popularity of the franchise.

It was an original property, not a rebooted franchise revival meant to cash in on nostalgia-driven adults and/or pre-sold IP value. And as annoying as you might find the Minions, they are not intended for you. They are pop culture icons created in this generation explicitly intended to be enjoyed by children of this generation. In an era where Hollywood seems dead-set on shoveling yesterday’s heroes down the throats of today’s children, that’s not nothing. I didn’t care for Minions, although my daughter did and it clearly brought much amusement to countless kids this summer.

When I was a kid, I would have bemoaned such a small and seemingly insignificant trifle of a movie reaching such box office milestones. Today it feels almost refreshing. But that’s a conversation we can have when a certain kid-friendly home invasion comedy turns 25 years old this November. So yeah, Minions, starring Sandra Bullock and Jon Hamm, has become (for the moment) the tenth-biggest movie of all time. I like surprises like that every once in awhile.

also totally agree with that  - I hate it when I must see the xx-th version of a story I know since decades

definitely the first DM was the best (there are very few franchise where it is otherwise- maybe Godfather 2)

• Like 1

BY THE WAY, a record no one pointed out (or at least, that I didn't notice anyone pointing out), is that Minions broke the record for the fastest animated film to reach $1 billion, achieving it in 72 days. Toy Story 3, the previous record holder, achieved it in 73 days.

• Like 2

http://www.upi-boxoffice.com/

Domestic:  $336,045,770    28.8%
Foreign:  $830,072,669    71.2%

Worldwide:  $1,166,118,439  

I don't think Cap3 will pass this.

Edit:

Also with the number on that Universal OS site Despicable Me 2 is ahead of Harry Potter's worldwide total on box office mojo, though HP's number could also be off by a bit.  The way it looks most OS numbers are actually plus a percent or so.

Edited by IMojammer