Hernan Gonzalez

Minions OS Thread | 1 BILLION WW CROSSED!! | 6m weekend | $811.4m OS total

Agree.

Frozen only made $48M in China. KFP3 will easily wipe that out in 3 days over there.

But Frozen made $250m in Japan and I don't think KFP3 is going to make a quarter of that. Or if we're talking WW, it also isn't coming close to Frozen's $400m DOM gross.

Edited by KATCH 22

Frozen only made $48M in China. KFP3 will easily wipe that out in 3 days over there.

Dreamworks movies always flop in Japan, or they don't get released there. Dragon 2 never had a release date in the country. Frozen 2 will have a huge advantage there.

I also see increases in many countries, since the original kind of took everybody by surprise.

But Frozen made $250m in Japan and I don't think KFP3 is going to make a quarter of that. Or if we're talking WW, it also isn't coming close to Frozen's $400m DOM gross.

Finding Dory could have the chance to beat Frozen's OS gross. Yeah, sure...Frozen did great in Japan..but so did Finding Nemo. And since it's Pixar and its a sequel, it could still do pretty big in Japan. And I think Dory would do much better in China than Frozen did.

Dreamworks movies always flop in Japan, or they don't get released there. Dragon 2 never had a release date in the country. Frozen 2 will have a huge advantage there.

I also see increases in many countries, since the original kind of took everybody by surprise.

True. But do you think Frozen 2 is that necessary for many people? And we don't know yet when that film will be released. I'm excited for a sequel for Frozen..but again, not sure if other people will feel excited.

Also, not every DW film has flopped in Japan. Shrek 2 & MAD3 did between $22-$25M in Japan..they did fine. But yeah, latest DW films hasn't got theatrical releases in Japan...because DW knows their films wouldn't have done well over there.

Yes, Frozen made nearly $250M in Japan...but it was an anomaly and I'm not so sure if lighting can strike twice with the sequel.

And now we got China, which helped out movies like JW, FF7 & AOU. And those 3 movies wiped out Frozen, WW-wise, thanks to China.

Now we got Minions. And how far will those critters go? We'll see.

Agree.

KFP3 could beat F7 in China. In fact, if it has a good release date, some people in Chinese thread think that $100m OD will be in play.

Said this, Minions is a beast everywhere. I do not see how it can miss the billion. What a great year...

• Like 2

KFP3 could beat F7 in China. In fact, if it has a good release date, some people in Chinese thread think that $100m OD will be in play.

Said this, Minions is a beast everywhere. I do not see how it can miss the billion. What a great year...

KFP3 will easily outgross F7 in China.

Definitely over $400m, probably not more than $500m, $450m seems a safe bet.

• Like 1

I think it could be doable for KFP3. Also it was produced in China as well.

I'M thinking 1b OS is in play, not only did it break records everywhere, it also has better hold than DM2..

2ND weekend over OW in some markets.

It is not crazy to think it. Look at this from Spanish thread:

430k admissions sold yesterday for The Minions here in Spain (Wed is discount day). Cume almost €9m ($10m) in less than a week! Fantastic!  ;)

DM2 numbers are: 2,191,642 admissions - 13,231,084 €. Minions will beat it during this weekend (after just 10 days). And DM2 already were very good numbers. Minions is a monster.

• Like 1

‘Minions’ Crossing $200M Overseas As Records Fall In France, Russia & More

Among the highlights so far this frame, Stuart, Kevin and Bob landed in France with $6.2M in their first two days. The bow on Wednesday was the biggest opening day of 2015 at nearly 600K admissions — and gives Universal bragging rights to the Top 4 openers of the year there: Minions, Fifty Shades Of Grey, Jurassic World and Furious 7. This is also Universal’s biggest opening of all time and the market’s biggest opening day ever for an animated film. It is 181% bigger than Despicable Me 2‘s bow in France. The Hexagon was among the top markets for DM2, topping out at over $40M. Adding to the draw, local bigscreen darlings Marion Cotillard and Guillaume Canet lead the voice cast, co-helmer Coffin is French and Illumination Mac Guff, which is headquartered in France, did much of the animation on Minions.

Russia gave Minions a No. 1 opening on Thursday with $3.8M. That also marks Universal’s best opening day of all time and the 2nd biggest opening day ever in Russia. The debut haul is two times bigger than DM2’s. Russia was the No. 7 market for that picture at about $35M.

Belgium grossed $915K at open this week and set the record as the biggest first day ever for an animated film. It is 210% bigger than the start of DM2. The Philippines gave $509K to Minions on Day 1 in 144 locations. That sets the record for top animated film opening ever and is 84% over DM2. In Hungary, $227K worth of folks on the hunt for a new villain brought the best opening day ever for an animated film; the best opening day ever for Universal; and the best opening day of 2015.

http://deadline.com/2015/07/minions-crosses-200-million-dollars-record-international-box-office-1201473560/

• Like 2

If Minions hit the billion dollar mark WW, will this be the first time any studio have 3 movies make over a BILLION DOLLARS WW in a single year? If so, we might as well drop to our knees and bow to Universal for accomplishing such an amazing feat. 

Edited by Queen Shar
  • Like 1

If Minions hit the billion dollar mark WW, will this be the first time any studio have 3 movies make over a BILLION DOLLARS WW in a single year? If so, we might as well drop to our knees and bow to Universal for accomplishing such an amazing feat.

It is locked to do $1b WW.
  • Like 1