Ezen Baklattan

Spaghetti's Lustral Cinematic Celebration (100 Best Films From 2010-2014) - Top 10 Time!

I had to look it up just to find a funny word for 5-year term.

it shows, because your use of the word is grammatically incorrect. :sadno:

(it should be lustral cinematic celebration, dumdum)

• Like 1

GAC_SkeletonTwins.jpg

86. THE SKELETON TWINS
"Maggie, I know the dog dies. Everyone knows the dog dies. It's the book where the dog dies."
When Kristen Wiig and Bill Hader took on the leading roles of this dramedy of a dysfunctional set of siblings, I knew that they would do just fine outside of Saturday Night Live. The film is bolstered by heavy themes of suicide, death of family, and child molestation, things that harm the current lives of Maggie (Wiig) and Milo (Hader) throughout the film, but they pull off the material with gentle grace, emotion, and even appropriate humor. Their relationship carries the movie as they try to rekindle their own relationship against the series of recent tragedies. Craig Johnson's direction and co-written script gives a strong mix of poignant moments and opportunities for Hader and Wiig to show off their own talents, but everything is grounded without restraining the two actors. It's one of the best and most underrated dramedies of the last five years, and It's the epitome of "I laughed, I cried." It's most definitely worth a look. 

1383355704_1.png

85. THE WAY, WAY BACK
"I have two dads. In your face."
Directors and Writers Jim Rash and Nat Faxon channel their inner talents, a mix of Richard Linklater and John Hughes, for this simple yet powerful and uplifting coming of age story. Maybe it's because I feel like I relatively connected with Duncan based on my own life, but his journey throughout the movie, centered around his wish to simply belong somewhere, really connected with me. He finds solace in befriending and joining the staff of Water Whizz Park, led by Sam Rockwell at his charismatic and likeable best, but with an equally charming Jim Rash, Steve Zahn, and Maya Rudolph. The light, nostalgic tone of the movie connects with its audiences and their own inherent needs, but it also plays like looking at an old photo album and remembering the good times of the past. The entire cast delivers on creating its atmosphere, from the uniquely created characters to the lively, summery style. Everything is just right for this poignant romp, and anyone who sees it will find something to love about it.

• Like 7

Another note: A film may seem relatively low on this list, but I did want to point a few things out in response to this.

A.) I think I've seen, on average, about 350-400 films in the last five years, so the films on this list represent the top 25-30% of those films, and the ones at #100 are in the B+/A- range for me. These are all excellent films in my eyes.

B.) Also, on average, the top 20 films from each year are making this list, so we should be getting a reasonably good spread of films here.

Edited by Spaghetti
  • Like 5

ErnestEtCelestine_13.jpg
84. ERNEST AND CELESTINE
"There will be plenty of other stories!"
Thank goodness GKIDS exists. Few studios readily distribute independent animated films, but they always find some really lovely hidden gems. This film is no exception. Using a pleasant yet gorgeous storybook aesthetic, Ernest and Celestine follows the titular characters, a bear and a mouse respectively, as they develop an unlikely friendship in a society where mice and bears are inherently at odds with one another. It's a fairly familiar story, and there are loose moral ends of the story that go unaccounted for, but it's otherwise one of the most affably adorable movies in recent memories, even with a gentle touch of satire on class discrimination. Forest Whitaker and McKenzie Foy shine in their characters voices, each one getting a uniquely created and loveable personalities. A simple yet impeccably crafted and gleefully entertaining fable, you don't have to be a kid to enjoy this movie, but you'll certainly leave feeling like a kid at heart once more.

918Z9FVFE1L._SL1500_.jpg

83. MONEYBALL
"When your enemy's making mistakes, don't interrupt him."
I love Aaron Sorkin. I love baseball. I love Brad Pitt. I love Jonah Hill. As it turns out, they all work together to make a pretty strong movie. It shies away from most generic inspirational stories and their cliches, because the tale of Brad Pitt's Billy Beane and his attempt to use statistical analysis to create the perfect baseball team doesn't quite end as successfully as Beane had planned. It's a relatively earnest tale that manages to be entertaining through great performances by Pitt and Hill, (who is slowly becoming a legitimately great actor) not to mention the always razor sharp dialogue from Aaron Sorkin. (IWho's one of Hollywood's most beloved screenwriters for good reason) I have to admit that it's been a while since I last saw this, so my memory is a bit shaky on the film, but if you want an example of simply straight-up well made cinema, you'd be hard pressed to go wrong here.

Edited by Spaghetti
  • Like 7