Ezen Baklattan

Spaghetti's Lustral Cinematic Celebration (100 Best Films From 2010-2014) - Top 10 Time!

Moneyball and recently Locke are examples of film that got me way more interested in subject matter that isn't inherently interesting (baseball managing and concrete). Good pick.

How dare you call baseball uninteresting. :angry:

:P

It's not that I find baseball uninteresting, but the stuff behind the scenes? Probably not the most fascinating subject matter

He meant baseball managing, not the sport itself. ;)

I find that really interesting. :lol:

Edited by Empire

I find that really interesting. :lol:

Me too. Growing up my dream job was to be the GM of the Phillies.

Still is. Especially since I am pretty sure I can do a better job than Ruben Amaro (as can many).

Edited by 4815162342
  • Like 1

Edge-of-Tomorrow.jpg
82. EDGE OF TOMORROW
"Again."
I don't think any film straight-up blindsided me over the last five years like this film. It's a reminder of how innovative and exciting big summer blockbusters can be. Once the spectacular beach side battle in Europe sets up a jaw-dropping precedent for the action in the movie, we then get to the heart: Tom Cruise's journey. With his resurrections upon every death, (much like a video game) he must learn new ways of defeating the aliens with the help of a sharp Emily Blunt. The two give brilliant performances and have excellent on screen chemistry without necessarily entering romantic territory. It all builds up to a spectacular ending that breaks cliche but still satisfies immensely. Who'd have guessed that a near perfect blockbuster would fall in this little Tom Cruise action flick? None of us did, certainly.

c7.jpg
81. CALVARY
"It's just you have no integrity. That's the worst thing I could say about anybody."
Another surprise from the last summer, Calvary presents a very moving take on religious doubt. It starts off with an Irish priest receiving a death threat from a traumatized parishioner, but it soon spirals into a deep questioning of faith and fear for his life. It's a powerfully subtle film, able to move seamlessly between hard drama (most of it carried out by Brendan Gleeson's career best performance) and even moments of dark comedy (as in McDonagh's sharp comedy and honorable mention to this list, The Guard) in a way that most directors could stumble upon. It ends up staying on the dramatic side of the line more so than I had initially thought, but it's a strongly executed premise that never slaps you in the face with what it's trying to say. I admire that in a film. Oh, and it features one of the best scores in recent memory.

• Like 9

1414767774-SMN22JumpS-o.jpg

80. 22 JUMP STREET
"It's like we're Batman and Robin, except we're both Batman!"
Phil Lord and Chris Miller know what they're up to. You know exactly what this film is going to be. It all comes together in such a gloriously awesome, ridiculously meta summer comedy. Simultaneously roasting Hollywood and embracing its tropes. It comes of as joyous rather than hypocritical because Lord and Miller fill their movies with such joy and outlandish fun that it ultimately triumphs over the inherent cynicism in their satire. Jenko and Schmidt are as charming and bromantic as ever, and they do pretty much the same thing as they did in 21 Jump Street (Which will come later in this list) but with a few new surprises, such as unknowingly getting lucky with the captain's daughter. The End Credits completely sum up the movie: subversive, self mocking, yet ultimately lovingly so. They pretty much accept that 23 Jump Street is going to happen, but with everyone still on board, then fuck it, count me in. There's still more fun to be hand in this crazy world, and Lord and Miller probably can't wait to explore it all.

bridesmaids-movie-still-600.jpg

79. BRIDESMAIDS
"At first I did not know it was your diary, I thought it was a very sad handwritten book." 
Another one of the smartest comedies of the last few years, Bridesmaids works as well as a coming-of-middle-age story as it does create a straight up hilarious story. Kristen Wiig gives her best performance to date as Annie, a thirty-something woman seeking to perfect her best friend's wedding but also try to find love on her own terms in her arrested development. The ensemble is fantastic all around, with each star giving life and layers to each character but grounding it all in a very poignant, heartfelt story. Melissa McCarthy and Rose Byrne are especially great as well, the latter giving us our first taste of her surprisingly effective comedy, both physical and verbal. I remember seeing the critical acclaim posters for this saying, "Chick flicks don't have to suck!" which almost creates a similar situation to Jump Street in that both try to add greater comedic impact and depth to their otherwise ridiculed genres. We need more movies like this one. Also, I don't care what anyone says. The bridal shop scene will always be insanely hilarious.

Edited by Spaghetti
  • Like 9

Argo-imdb.jpg

78. ARGO

"This is the best bad idea we have, sir. By far."

In an almost Spielbergian style thriller, Ben Affleck deserves the love he's been getting for this straight up exciting thriller. The almost implausible thriller centers on U.S.A. and Canada (the latter's impact somewhat diminished in the movie) as they use a fake film production to extract a group of American hostages from an Iranian revolution. While it somewhat loses it steam towards the middle of the film, the pure set up and intense finale are strong enough to carry the film for miles on end. It doesn't take itself too seriously unless it has to, allowing for some small but noticeable bursts of humor throughout the film, and it ultimately becomes one of the finest thrillers of the last decade, if not one of the most enjoyable. If nothing else, it's a solid justification for Ben Affleck's current resurgence, both as an actor and a director.

maxresdefault.jpg

77. LOCKE

"You make one mistake, Donal, one little fucking mistake, and the whole world comes crashing down around you."

Who'd have guessed that a movie about Tom Hardy sitting in a car and driving would be this quietly tense and emotional, almost like a survival movie in and of itself? Well, I do have to say that Tele was onto something here. Locke shines because of its remarkable restraint and subtlety which actually lets the emotions and fears of Ivan Locke manifest greatly throughout the film. Ivan Locke has made several mistakes in his past, but it is on this drive, the night before one of the biggest cement pours in the country, that it all hits the fan and, through a series of phone calls, his life makes a turn for the worse. Tom Hardy gives a phenomenal performance here, giving enough quiet power to his performance to show us his desperation as things continually take a turn for the worse. The ending wraps things up a little too nicely for my tastes, but it's hard to complain when the rest of the movie is this powerful.

Edited by Spaghetti
  • Like 11

harry_potter_dhp1_107.jpg

76. HARRY POTTER & THE DEATHLY HALLOWS - PART 1

"O, children, lift up you're voice"

It's no secret, but just to reiterate - I adore Harry Potter. The exciting world of Hogwarts, the exciting characters, and the overarching themes of empowerment, tolerance, and love, it might just be one of the defining stories of Generation Y. Perhaps nowhere is the film adaption at its artistic best than with the penultimate chapter. Harry and his friends are forced on the run after You Know Who is one the large once more. It works because the mood and direction heighten the fear and stakes of the matter, and it puts the friendship of the main trio to the test in ultimate ways as it seems that the entire world is against them. Unlike other part films, it works as a single film out of cohesiveness to mood and a legitimate arc that gives Harry and company the empowerment to take their last stand. A brilliant feature overall, and one of the most emotionally powerful entries in the saga.

margin-call.jpg

75. MARGIN CALL

"Be first, be smarter, or cheat."

Move over, House of Cards, this is the ultimate destination of Kevin Spacey and dubious activities within the ruling class. The mainstream debut of J.C. Chandor is simply fantastic in its depiction of how the financial explosion a few years ago took hold. Featuring razor sharp dialogue and brilliant performances overall, it puts other political thrillers in recent memory to shame by creating characters that have complex layers and deal with their own issues. One striking scene occurs at the very end of the movie, where Spacey is burying his dead dog, with the sound of dirt being shoveled carrying into the end credits. It's a haunting play that connects with the graudal hopelessness of the situation in Wall Street and solidifies the talents of Chandor as a director. Good show, indeed.

• Like 8