baumer

How HV sales used to turn big box office hits into massive box office GIANTS

Just wanna add. Disney seem to be ditching the physical home video market altogether. They're promoting VOD over DVD, and are getting their films onto TV quicker (around 6-9 months after the initial release in the UK). Their DVD and BluRay prices also seem to never actually go down in price (most Marvel movies actually go up in price, it makes the iTunes copy a cheaper alternative). In the UK there also seems to be some kinda deal where if one of their older movies hits a site like Netflix, it hits everyone of their competitors at the same time. So I'm not really surprised by falling sales.

On ‎9‎/‎3‎/‎2015‎ ‎1‎:‎11‎:‎31‎, langer said:

Fast & Furious 7 : the old titles were never great on HV, but this one was bigger than the previous movies.  Prediction : At least 115M$ in combined sales in its first year

Avengers 2 : This will obivously do less than the first one (225M$), but this should do better than IM3 and GoTG.  Prediction : 135M$ in combined sales in its first year

Special prediction : Pitch Perfect 2 is gonna reach 100M$ in combined sales in its first  year. 

Once again looking back at my September predictions...and hoping Black Friday will boost these titles in the right direction 

F&F 7 will have a hard time getting to 60M at this pace.

Avengers 2 is doing better than FF7 but still underperforming.  The market is really down compared to previous years.  If Civil War reaches AoU level at the BO, then it might get a significant boost to reach 100M , if not, then it's gonna crawl its way there. 

Pitch Perfect 2 : Without a popular single like the first movie had, there is no way this one will match my prediction.  I think 35M is the max at this point.

Hopefully I can redeem myself with JW, IO and Minions...but I'm not too confident. 

So Avengers had some low drops during second week but in third it's back to normal and overall they're -62.5% behind TA1 after three weeks.

And Furious 7 added just 1.5M during its fifth week, overall it has 48.6M.

Yep, Avengers first week was not a complete one, explains the soft drop.   Sequels also perform worse than previous entries on average (90%+ of sequels in fact).  Shrinking disc market and growing digital market is not helping.  

These two titles will need a big Thanksgiving/Christmas boost to recover.  At this point,  I'm just interested in the two big animation titles coming out soon. 

We finally had our first real HV blockbuster with JW generating 43M$ in Blu Ray sales alone during  its first week.  This compares to 23M$ for AoU (Friday release) and 22M$ for Furious 7 (Tuesday release).  This will guarantee the first combined 100M$ movie of the year.  It could also become the 5th movie to reach 100M$ in Blu Ray sales alone.  It really depends on how it holds over the upcoming holidays and if it can reach it before SW gets its HV release.  While that seems like good news, its performance pales in comparison to the first Avengers movie (64M$ Blu Ray debut).  This goes to show how shrunk the market is at this time. and how digital releases have impacted the disc market.   

Avengers AoU's hope of reaching 100M$ combined are diminishing every week.  At this point, it will need a very significant boost by next year's Captain America to reach that milestone. 

Aside from my Pitch Perfect prediction, it looks like I will be about 30-40% off on all 300M+ movies this year.  I'm guessing the animated movies will not be impacted that much by the digital (and pirated) market.   

• Like 1

Dvd\Blu Ray Sales Ending October 25, 2015

1    Jurassic World  - 2,336,414   
2    San Andreas  - 160,701     
3    Aladdin  - 103,884   
4    The Avengers: Age of Ultron  - 101,569       
5    Dragon Ball Z: Resurrection 'F'  - 96,485       
6    Jurassic Park Collection  - 72,553   
7    Back to the Future Trilogy  - 72,128   
8    Paper Towns  - 57,511   
9    Hocus Pocus  - 55,224    
10    Furious 7  - 45,162    

Edited by maryksinger

We finally got our first animated blockbuster results with Inside Out getting a meager 24M on Blu Ray in its first week.  DM2 got 58M in its first week 2 years ago.  the age of HV is definitely over.  All my predictions are now ridiculous and will end up being on average 30-40% off. 

On 11/18/2015, 10:48:20, maryksinger said:

Dvd\Blu Ray Sales Ending October 25, 2015

1    Jurassic World  - 2,336,414   
2    San Andreas  - 160,701     
3    Aladdin  - 103,884   
4    The Avengers: Age of Ultron  - 101,569       
5    Dragon Ball Z: Resurrection 'F'  - 96,485       
6    Jurassic Park Collection  - 72,553   
7    Back to the Future Trilogy  - 72,128   
8    Paper Towns  - 57,511   
9    Hocus Pocus  - 55,224    
10    Furious 7  - 45,162