baumer

How HV sales used to turn big box office hits into massive box office GIANTS

3 hours ago, Mojoguy said:

The Last Jedi Blu and DVD combined sales down 42% from The Force Awakens in the first week.

Not too bad I imagine considering the box office dropped by 34% and the decline of the medium....

3 hours ago, Mojoguy said:

The Last Jedi Blu and DVD combined sales down 42% from The Force Awakens in the first week.

TLJ 2.38 million units
TFA 4.09 million units

still pretty good considering blu-ray/dvd sales on there have been diminishing and very uneventful for virtually everything. I would not be surprised if this is the last movie to crack 2.38 million units OW for the blu ray.

35 minutes ago, Barnack said:

Not too bad I imagine considering the box office dropped by 34% and the decline of the medium....

Well it's it sold about the same in Blue-Ray as rogue one. Dvd is a better 437k vs 340k. 

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, mathemetrics said:

still pretty good considering blu-ray/dvd sales on there have been diminishing and very uneventful for virtually everything. I would not be surprised if this is the last movie to crack 2.38 million units OW for the blu ray.

This is Blue-Ray + DvD.

Thor3 did 1.86m units, BP and IW will both do more. 

Edited by pepsa
  • Like 1

3 minutes ago, mathemetrics said:

ouch.  TLJ did 1.94 units Blu Ray then

Maybe BP will be the last blu ray to pass 2m units sold Opening Week then

I think BP and IW will do it, with BP having better sales after the OW. But yeah, BP should be bigger. 

Edited by pepsa
  • Like 1

I think The Mummy Returns and then The Phantom Menace were the first two movies to get 2 million units OW.  Then it peaked with Finding Nemo for about 10 years until Frozen.  That is my guess.  I don't think The Dark Knight did groundbreaking numbers, so I never really followed home video market since there is not much easy access to believable numbers.

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, mathemetrics said:

I think The Mummy Returns and then The Phantom Menace were the first two movies to get 2 million units OW.  Then it peaked with Finding Nemo for about 10 years until Frozen.  That is my guess.  I don't think The Dark Knight did groundbreaking numbers, so I never really followed home video market since there is not much easy access to believable numbers.

Death man's chest sales were insane.

On ‎3‎/‎9‎/‎2016 at 2:42 PM, WrathOfHan said:

Do you think Deadpool can beat DOFP when it's out in May?

On ‎3‎/‎9‎/‎2016 at 3:10 PM, langer said:

It has a good chance.  First entries tend to do better than sequels, I think it can do about 80% of GotG seeing as the market is probably down 20% since 2014.  90M$ would be a good target between the HV release date and the sequel release date (2 year span).

So GOTG was at 125M$ before it got it's sequel bump and 80% of that is 99M$.  DP was at 100M$ when the sequel got released.  I believe I nailed that one!

• Like 2

On ‎10‎/‎24‎/‎2016 at 3:24 PM, langer said:

For those following the "race" to 400M$ combined between Avatar and Frozen, here's the current status:

- Avatar - 394M$ - 3M$ in the last 11 months

- Frozen - 374M$ - 16M$ in the last 11 months

The race is over and the winner is....

Frozen - 397M$

Expect Frozen to pass Avatar by the end of the year. 

• Like 2

A look back at some of my 2018 predictions on impact of sequels.

All my "guaranteed" predictions happened.

On ‎2‎/‎6‎/‎2018 at 5:07 PM, langer said:

2018 sequels impact and upcoming milestones

Maze Runner - The Death Cure

- The Maze Runner (50M$ combined) - currently 40M$ (impossible) - Stayed Flat

Avengers : Infinity Wars

- The Avengers (250M$ combined) - currently 235M$ (impossible) - Gained 2M$

- Iron Man (200M$ combined) - currently 196M$ (unlikely) - Stayed Flat

- Captain America : TFA (50M$ DVD) - currently 48M$ (possible) - Reached milestone and gained 2M$

- Guardians of the Galaxy (150M$ combined) - currently 140M$ (unlikely) - Gained 3M$

- Spider Man Homecoming (50M$ combined) - currently 44M$ (possible) - Reached milestone and gained 18M$

- Doctor Strange (50M$ combined) - currently 44M$ (possible) - Reached milestone and gained 7M$

Deadpool 2

- Deadpool (100M$ combined) - currently 99M$ (guaranteed) - Reached milestone and gained 7M$

Solo : A Star Wars story

- Star Wars The Force Awakens (150M$ Blu Ray and 200M$ combined) - currently 148M$ Blu Ray and 184M$ combined (guaranteed for Blu Ray, possible for combined) - Reached Blu Ray milestone and gained 4M$ - gained 7M$ combined

- Star Wars The Last Jedi (50M$ Blu Ray and combined) - not yet released (possible for Blu Ray, guaranteed for combined) Reached both milestones with 69M$ Blu Ray and 86M$ combined

Jurassic World :Fallen Kingdom

- Jurassic World (100M$ Blu Ray and 150M$ combined) - currently 94M$ Blu Ray and 133M$ combined (likely for Blu Ray, possible for combined) - gained 4M$ Blu Ray and 6M$ combined

Hotel Transylvania 3 : Summer Vacation

- Hotel Transylvania (100M$ combined) - currently 96M$ (likely) - gained 3M$

Mission Impossible : Fallout

- Mission Impossible Ghost Protocol (50M$ combined) - currently 46M$ (unlikely) - stayed flat

Dark Phoenix

- X-Men : The Last Stand (150M$ DVD and 150M$ combined) - currently 145M$ DVD and 146M$ combined (unlikely to both) - DF not released, TLS stayed flat

2019 and future

How to Train your Dragon (200M$ combined) - currently 195M$

Iron Man (200M$ combined) - currently 196M$

Guardians of the Galaxy (150M$ combined) - currently 140M$

Secret Life of Pets (100M$ combined) - currently 97M$ - Reached milestone in 2018

Toy Story 3 (200M$ DVD and 250M$ combined) - currently 192M$ DVD and 249M$ combined - Reached combined milestone in 2018

Transformers (300M$ DVD) - currently 295M$

Fate of the Furious (50M$ combined) - currently 45M$

Wonder Woman (100M$ combined) - currently 92M$ - Reached milestone in 2018

Frozen (400M$ combined) - currently 388M$

Rogue One : A Star Wars story (100M$ combined) - currently 78M$

Despicable Me 2 (250M$ combined) - currently 247M$

The Croods (50M$ DVD) - currently 48M$

Avatar (400M$ combined) - currently 398M$ - Reached milestone in 2018

Spider Man Homecoming (50M$ combined) - currently 44M$ - Reached milestone in 2018

Edited by langer
  • Like 2

2019 sequels impact and upcoming milestones

The LEGO Movie 2 : The second part

- The LEGO movie (150M$ combined) - currently 132M$ (unlikely)

How to Train your Dragon : The Hidden World

- How to Train your Dragon 1 (150M$ DVD and 200M$ Combined) - currently 144M$ DVD and 196M$ combined (unlikely for DVD - possible for combined)

Avengers : Endgame

- The Avengers (250M$ combined) - currently 237M$ (impossible)

- Iron Man 1 (200M$ combined ) - currently 196M$ (unlikely)

- Guardians of the Galaxy (150M$ combined) - currently 143M$ (unlikely)

- Avengers : Infinity Wars (100M$ Blu Ray) - currently 90M$ (likely)

- Black Panther (100M$ combined) - currently 90M$ (possible)

- Spider Man Homecoming (50M$ Blu Ray) - currently 47$ (guaranteed)

Dark Phoenix

- X-Men : The Last Stand (150M$ DVD and 150M$ combined) - currently 145M$ DVD and 146M$ combined (unlikely to both as this has stayed flat since 2016)

Secret Life of Pets 2

- Secrets Life of Pets (50M$ DVD ) - currently at 39M$ (unlikely)

Toy Story 4

- Toy Story 3 (200M$ DVD) - currently 193M$ (possible)

Spider Man Far From Home

- Spider Man Homecoming (50M$ Blu Ray) - currently 47$ (guaranteed)

- The Amazing Spider Man 2 (50M$ combined) - currently 47M$ (unlikely)

Fast and Furious presents : Hobbs and Shaw

- The Fate of the Furious (50M$ combined) - currently 49M$ (guaranteed)

Frozen 2

- Frozen (250M$ DVD and 400M$ combined) - currently 235M$ DVD and 397M$ combined (possible for DVD - guaranteed for combined)

Star Wars ep. IX

- Star Wars The Force Awakens (50M$ DVD and 200M$ combined) - currently 39M$ DVD and 191M$ combined (unlikely for DVD, likely for combined)

- Star Wars The Last Jedi (100M$ combined ) - currently 86M$ (possible)

- Rogue One : A Star Wars  Story (100M$ combined) - currently 84M$ (unlikely)

- Solo : A Star Wars Story (50M$ combined) - currently 48M$ (guaranteed)

2020 and future

Suicide Squad (100M$ combined) - currently 96M$

Skyfall (50M$ DVD) - currently 48M$

Wonder Woman (100M$ Blu Ray) - currently 88M$

Despicable Me 2 (250M$ combined) - currently 248M$

Despicable Me 3 (50M$ combined) - currently 43M$

The Croods (50M$ DVD) - currently 48M$

Avatar (250M$ DVD) - currently 235M$

Sherlock Homes 2 (100M$ combined) - currently 88M$

Sing (50M$ Blu Ray) - currently 42M$

Jurassic World (100M$ Blu Ray and 150M$ combined) - surrently 98M$ Blu Ray and 139M$ combined)

Jurassic World Fallen Kingdom (50M$ Blu Ray) - currently 41M$

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

https://variety.com/vip/covid-19-fast-forwards-dvds-decline-1234895367/

The pandemic may have increased audience for a myriad of streaming and VOD options by keeping consumers indoors, but not all forms of in-home entertainment apparently benefited. 

The rate at which DVD sales and rentals declined in 2020 versus the year prior saw a pronounced acceleration compared to the levels at which it had been dropping for the past decade, according to data released by the Digital Entertainment Group, a trade organization for the home entertainment industry.

Physical sales and rentals of discs each tanked by more than 25%, a staggering reality for those invested in selling and collecting physical media. The prior year rentals barely exceeded a 20% decline while sales were at an 18.29% dropoff.

Some were hoping this would not be the case after observed increases in DVD sales last spring as nationwide lockdowns were underway. However, DEG’s quarterly sales figures for physical discs show that the second quarter of 2020as well as the first, were still down from their 2019 counterparts.

What prevented physical discs from seeing a rebound in revenue at a time when theaters were closed and people were stuck indoors?

Streaming has to be considered the main culprit behind the continued disintegration of physical media, as new services from WarnerMedia and NBCUniversal became available in May and July 2020, respectively. Plus, the November 2019 launch of Disney+ offered an all-in-one stop for brands like Marvel, Lucasfilm and Pixar that often top home entertainment charts.

Physical discs were on the way out before the pandemic, but now more than ever they’ve lost relevance with the public, as the pandemic itself is a hurdle to purchasing discs in the wild.

Streaming will continue to upend traditional release and consumption models for content, so if physical discs couldn’t make any sort of comeback in 2020, this is it for the format. Better utilize the extra space in your TV stand’s cabinets for something else.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Eric Gardner said:

thank you for this

Edit to add: less big new movies also didn‘t help, just in case)

I think DVDs and such could be still interesting for movies or series someone loves, or wants to watch, if its not offered as digital to buy or if its ‘only’ one movie streamed at a provider he/she has no contract with.

Also for the many movies,... blocked for one reason or another in certain markets.

Old contracts, independent movies,...

It might take a bit of time till it reach the bottom, till people and companies adjust, as I think the high earning / famous titles will be sold even less in the future.

And if something new will appear, or laws/rules change, see old contracts not allowing for buying a movie xy in country 001 based on old vhs times contracts, it might dip even more

Edited by terrestrial

2 hours ago, Eric Gardner said:

Either the lockdown in the USA were quite different or brick and mortar sales were irrelevant for dvd sales and all transfered to the Amazon of the world.

Because I find surprising that the fact that people for months would never go to a rental place that sales dvds or store would not be considered in the factor for why they would decline.

Closing of in person business, make a bit obvious why DvD rentals would decline and the rise in decline in sales is almost the sames than for rentals.

The idea that the small boost we saw was due to the long line with people waiting from a long time in front on small dvd bin (the fact the boost was dvd only and not dvd/bluray would point to that) in grocery stores/walmart/target during the reserve making buying frenzy was probably the good one.

• Like 1