Mockingjay Raphael

Weekend Numbers (Jan 2-4)

I think It would be a great move OS, i really want MJ2 to make more than BD2 OS.

I'm fairly confident it will regardless but I agree, it would be a very smart move. I wonder when we'll hear confirmation of a 3D China release for MJ1. Wonder how much that will help with penetration into China's box office market. MJ2 could look very cool in 3D. If there was ever a HG movie to be 3D, it's obviously MJ2!

• Like 1

Why does it "look like it might struggle"? Just compare the numbers. It's got a 27m+ lead on DOS (more than comfortable to weather the slight gain DOS will get with its last remaining holidays), and its daily holds have generally been better.

It will not struggle to beat DOS. About that lead, though... by end of next weekend it'll probably shrink to about $10m.

Needs to gross 5.8 times more than Thor 2 dailies the rest of the way to hit $200m. It grossed 5.75 times as much yesterday. Just have to see how it holds up with all the new releases in January, but it might come closer to $200m than you're expecting.

It needs to make 2.7 times as much as Thor 2 dailies to reach $190m, which seems pretty likely to happen. That number is going to keep going down as the film grosses 5 times as much money over the next week.

Interstellar has grossed 4.9 times more than Thor 2's dailies over the last 8 days (Friday to Friday). If that continues, it will reach $197m. That's close enough Paramount might actually find a way to Puerto Rico it to $200m.

I don't think that will hold up once the holidays are over. Interstellar was fortunate enough to at least be in 1000 theaters throughout the holidays but once Taken 3 hits next week it will experience large theater drops and probably start to fade pretty quickly. I think Skyfall might be the better comparison down the stretch, and that grossed another 10 million or so past the New Year's weekend.

• Like 2

3D is awful nine times out of ten but the good thing is these days the majority seems to prefer 2D by a good bit so there always seems to be way more 2D showtimes than 3D.

The worst thing about trying to see the Hobbit is that it's fragmented between 2D, 3D, and 3D HFR, which made it rather difficult for me to see the film. There's only 4-5 2D showings a day, and even if I relent to see it in 3D, there's only 3 showings or so.

Its not that, it's just the principle of the matter and really what THG series stands for. It would be hypocritical to make a 3D version of it. IMax felt the same to me.

But at the same time, the IMAX was awesome for CF! The screen expanding as she goes up the tube was brilliant. I like the social and political messages of The Hunger Games but their main point is entertainment and artistry.

• Like 3

I don't think that will hold up once the holidays are over. Interstellar was fortunate enough to at least be in 1000 theaters throughout the holidays but once Taken 3 hits next week it will experience large theater drops and probably start to fade pretty quickly. I think Skyfall might be the better comparison down the stretch, and that grossed another 10 million or so past the New Year's weekend.

Maybe so. We'll see how it goes, but I think $190m is pretty close to being locked.

• Like 3

Maybe so. We'll see how it goes, but I think $190m is pretty close to being locked.

Yeah, I was thinking 185 was being generous a couple weeks ago, but it's still plugging away at close to a million bucks the last two days and will do so again today. 

• Like 1

Its not that, it's just the principle of the matter and really what THG series stands for. It would be hypocritical to make a 3D version of it. IMax felt the same to me.

Huh? Why would it be hypocritical to make it 3D or IMAX? Nobody's forcing you to watch it in those versions.

• Like 1

Yeah, I was thinking 185 was being generous a couple weeks ago, but it's still plugging away at close to a million bucks the last two days and will do so again today.

Yeah before that thanksgiving hold I was thinking even $175 million was a bit much to expect but since then it's been a legs machine.

• Like 2