Blue Ruin (2014)

7 members have voted

1. 1. Grade it:

• A
    • B
    • C
    • D
    • F

I'm trying to watch as many movies as possible, so I can make a decent top 25 best of the year and send it to Grimm. I should say that this will definitely be part of it, maybe even top 10.

I love how fresh and smart this feels despite using an overtired revenge story. Two examples:

He has to go the hospital after trying to perform a surgical procedure on himself and not succeeding, making the arrow wound a lot worse.

when the sister says "And I'm glad he's dead and I hope he suffered." (you know, like a normal person would) and didn't lecture him about how wrong he was, that he became the same person he killed and that he was not her brother anymore or some shit like that.

Excellent script, I love how it gives informations one by one and not through some one big expository scene, it feels very natural. Love that they handled the message of the movie with subtlety.

Very good lead actor and flawless pace. 90/100

Near the top of my watch list...

You should, it's another very good release by Radius.

A unique spin on the revenge thriller, having someone who's not really equipped or trained for it and it's about as messy and human as one could imagine.  It's like the anti-John Wick.  Really good performance by Macon Blair.  B+

• Like 1