Blankments

2015 100M Films - 29 down, 7 to go (Leo Bears the Blockbuster Burden!)

I'm interested to see how the September 18th through October 16th releases play out. I feel like in that span Black Mass, Everest, Scorch Trials, Hotel Transylvania, The Walk, The Martian, Pan, Steve Jobs, and Bridge of Spies all have 100m potential. But I highly doubt we can have 9 100m+ releases over that short fall period. Would be really fun if we do though.

I can see Jobs, Black Mass, Everest, The Walk, ad Bridge of Spies not doing it. Lots of 80-90 movies though.

Jobs, Everest, Black Mass I think will be...lower.

Edited by kowhite

I'm sure at least one maybe two of the three oscar bait dramas (Jobs, Black Mass, Bridge of Spies) will do it, but yeah probably not all. Don't see Everest missing 100 with the major push its received. The Walk is the biggest question mark out of all in that month. Could breakout huge, could tank huge.

Edited by MovieMan89

I'm sure at least one maybe two of the three oscar bait dramas (Jobs, Black Mass, Bridge of Spies) will do it, but yeah probably not all. Don't see Everest missing 100 with the major push its received. The Walk is the biggest question mark out of all in that month. Could breakout huge, could tank huge.

Every time I see the trailer for The Walk...

I can't help but think...I am so not interested in this story.

But Rob Z...is usually interesting at least...conflicted. Then it goes...in 3D...and my eyes...they just roll.

It may do well, but sorry Rob...I don't care.

Edit: Rob Z is Robert Zemeckis, not Rob Zombie. I felt oddly compelled to clarify that, despite knowing no one was confused.

Edited by kowhite

Depending on Straight Outta Compton's OW and it's second weekend hold. Trainwreck will be next on the list. But if Compton debuts with 45-55 million OW and it's drop is around 47.5-52.1% it's second weekend it could eventually just sneak pass it. Really September is a mixed bag Maze Runner 2 will do it and increase from the first movie, while Hotel Transylvania 2 will do it but will take a big drop from the first movie. Black Mass I can see just do between John Wick and Looper numbers at best. Everest will probably do around Into The Storm. Now October that's a very crowded month The Martian should do it if it's a crowd pleaser and WOM helps it. The Walk is an iffy one because I'm worried that it taking place at the World Trade Center might affect it. Pan will not do it major flop. Goosebumps will do Monster House numbers. Bridge Of Spies might just earn on par with Zero Dark Thirty or War Horse instead of Argo or Captain Phillips. Crimson Peak has potential but could be appealing to a certain audience.

Bridge of Spies and The Martian are the two Oscar baits for the fall that should get there. They compare favorably to Gravity and Captain Phillips. Steve Jobs, Black Mass and The Walk should all do $60-70 million due to competition. 

It'll probably be (for the rest of the year):

1. Trainwreck
  2. Straight Outta Compton
  3. Everest
  4. The Maze Runner 2
  5. Hotel Transylvania 2
  6. The Martian
  7. Bridge of Spies
  8. Crimson Peak/Goosebumps (one of the two.. possibly both) 
  9. Spectre
  10. The Peanuts Movie
  11. Mockingjay Part 2
  12. The Good Dinosaur
  13. Creed 
  14. The Night Before 
  15. Star Wars Episode VII 
  16. Joy
  17. Daddy's Home/Sisters (one of the two) 
  18. The Hateful Eight 
Edited by mahnamahna

Bridge of Spies and The Martian are the two Oscar baits for the fall that should get there. They compare favorably to Gravity and Captain Phillips. Steve Jobs, Black Mass and The Walk should all do $60-70 million due to competition. 

It'll probably be (for the rest of the year):

1. Trainwreck
  2. Straight Outta Compton
  3. Everest
  4. The Maze Runner 2
  5. Hotel Transylvania 2
  6. The Martian
  7. Bridge of Spies
  8. Crimson Peak/Goosebumps (one of the two.. possibly both) 
  9. Spectre
  10. The Peanuts Movie
  11. Mockingjay Part 2
  12. The Good Dinosaur
  13. Creed 
  14. The Night Before 
  15. Star Wars Episode VII 
  16. Joy
  17. Daddy's Home/Sisters (one of the two) 
  18. The Hateful Eight 

I wouldn't be so sure on the bolded ones.

• Like 2

I wouldn't be so sure on the bolded ones.

The Night Before looks solid and it's the first major comedy since July. If it's halfway decent, it could inch across $100 million DOM like This is the End. Not a lock, but Seth Rogen has done fairly well lately. 

I understand on Sisters. But I think Daddy's Home might be the film to go see if SW7 sells out since it seems like it'll be a PG (possibly PG-13). Joy, Revenant, Snowden and Sisters are R. Concussion and In the Heart of the Sea aren't exactly light-hearted/family-friendly despite the PG-13. Alvin 4 will be G most likely, but most people aren't going to turn towards it when there's a decent enough family comedy. 

I think either Daddy's Home or Alvin 4 should benefit from SW7's epic sellouts those first two weeks. 

600M
  1. Jurassic World - July 17
500M
  1. Jurassic World - June 28
400M
  1. Avengers: Age of Ultron - May 24
  2. Jurassic World - June 21
300M
  1. Furious 7 - April 22
  2. Avengers: Age of Ultron - May 10
  3. Jurassic World - June 19
  4. Inside Out - July 18
  5. Minions - August 8
200M
  1. Furious 7 - April 10
  2. Avengers: Age of Ultron - May 4
  3. Jurassic World - June 14
  4. Cinderella - June 25
  5. Inside Out - June 30
  6. Minions - July 18
100M
  1. The SpongeBob Movie: Sponge Out of Water - February 16
  2. Fifty Shades of Grey - February 18
  3. Kingsman: The Secret Service - March 11
  4. Cinderella - March 21
  5. Furious 7 - April 4
  6. The Divergent Series: Insurgent - April 4
  7. Home - April 7
  8. Avengers: Age of Ultron - May 2
  9. Pitch Perfect 2 - May 23
  10. Mad Max: Fury Road - May 27
  11. San Andreas - June 8
  12. Jurassic World - June 13
  13. Inside Out - June 22
  14. Spy - July 9
  15. Minions - July 12
  16. Ant-Man - July 26
  17. Mission: Impossible - Rogue Nation - August 9
  18. Trainwreck - August 21
  19. Straight Outta Compton - August 22

This is so not going to end well. I can not see 17 films doing more than 100m. I barely can see more than 8 films doing more than 100m. I always knew everest would be a big hit (especially since it's an Universal). But 100m? Left are the likes of "h8ful" (wom), "Spectre", Star Wars", HT, Martian, Hunger Games, and "that good dino".

Peanuts look too indie and depressing i think for breaking out. Bridge of spies may be thrilling enough, may as well be not. Pan will bomb and so will Crimson Peak (see "Poltergeist"). 

But from another point of view: the top ten movies grosses this year will equal the top 15 from 2013, maybe even top 20. This is the year when big fishes totally ate the small ones. 

• Like 1

This is so not going to end well. I can not see 17 films doing more than 100m. I barely can see more than 8 films doing more than 100m. I always knew everest would be a big hit (especially since it's an Universal). But 100m? Left are the likes of "h8ful" (wom), "Spectre", Star Wars", HT, Martian, Hunger Games, and "that good dino".

Peanuts look too indie and depressing i think for breaking out. Bridge of spies may be thrilling enough, may as well be not. Pan will bomb and so will Crimson Peak (see "Poltergeist"). 

But from another point of view: the top ten movies grosses this year will equal the top 15 from 2013, maybe even top 20. This is the year when big fishes totally ate the small ones. 

:WHATanabe:

• Like 1

Hotel Transylvania 2 & The Martian will get to $100M in no time. 

I was rooting for Everest, Pixels, and Maze Runner 2 to hit 100

but all have performed very disappointingly.

So the rest of the year is looking like this :

(Sure Fires, in bold + Potentials)

1. Episode 7
  2. Mockingjay 2
  3. Spectre
  4. The Martian
  5. Hotel Transylvania 2
  6. The Good Dino
  7. Joy
  8. Peanuts
  9. Bridge of Spies
  10. Alvin 4
  11. Goosebumps
  12. Sisters
  13. Point Break
  14. In the Heart of the Sea
  15. Hateful 8
  16. Dady's Home
  17. Concussion

Joy is the third Fall/Holiday collaboration between JLAw, DeNiro & Bradley Cooper

Third time still a charm?

Edited by zackzack

1. HT2

2. The Martian

3. Goosebumps

4. Bridge of Spies

5. Steve Jobs

6. Spectre

7. The Peanuts Movie

8. Mockingjay Part 2

9. The Good Dinosaur

10. The Night Before

11. Creed

12. Star Wars Episode VII

13. Sisters

14. Joy

15. The Hateful Eight

16. Alvin 4

17. Daddys Home

18. The Revenant

600M
  1. Jurassic World - July 17
500M
  1. Jurassic World - June 28
400M
  1. Avengers: Age of Ultron - May 24
  2. Jurassic World - June 21
300M
  1. Furious 7 - April 22
  2. Avengers: Age of Ultron - May 10
  3. Jurassic World - June 19
  4. Inside Out - July 18
  5. Minions - August 8
200M
  1. Furious 7 - April 10
  2. Avengers: Age of Ultron - May 4
  3. Jurassic World - June 14
  4. Cinderella - June 25
  5. Inside Out - June 30
  6. Minions - July 18
100M
  1. The SpongeBob Movie: Sponge Out of Water - February 16
  2. Fifty Shades of Grey - February 18
  3. Kingsman: The Secret Service - March 11
  4. Cinderella - March 21
  5. Furious 7 - April 4
  6. The Divergent Series: Insurgent - April 4
  7. Home - April 7
  8. Avengers: Age of Ultron - May 2
  9. Pitch Perfect 2 - May 23
  10. Mad Max: Fury Road - May 27
  11. San Andreas - June 8
  12. Jurassic World - June 13
  13. Inside Out - June 22
  14. Spy - July 9
  15. Minions - July 12
  16. Ant-Man - July 26
  17. Mission: Impossible - Rogue Nation - August 9
  18. Trainwreck - August 21
  19. Straight Outta Compton - August 22
  20. Hotel Transylvania 2 - October 9
  21. The Martian - October 11
  • Like 2

Up next is a wildcard Goosebumps has a 50% chance, Bridge of Spies has a 85% chance. Crimson Peak has a 4% chance. Steve Jobs has a 70% chance. Spectre is an easy one as well as Hunger Games, Peanuts,Good Dinosaur, and Star Wars. Also I think Creed, Night Before,Sisters,Road Chip, Joy,Hateful Eight, and Revenant all are possibilities.