Blankments

2015 100M Films - 29 down, 7 to go (Leo Bears the Blockbuster Burden!)

Taken 3 Surprisingly wont make it. American Sniper really took the wind out of it's sales.

So it looks like only Spongebob and Fifty Shades are locks after Jan/Feb. We'll see if Kingsman can leg its way to 100m, there isnt much competition for the rest of the month. 

With a $42 million 4 day, a 2.5x multi (from the 4 day) gives it $105 million. A 3x gives it $126 million. 

$105-126 million seems like Kingsman's eventual range. I think it'll make it since Run All Night is the only semi-major action movie until Furious 7.

Jan-Apr

1. SpongeBob 2
  2. 50 Shades of Grey
  3. Kingsman
  4. Cinderella
  5. Insurgent
  6. Get Hard
  7. Furious 7
  8. Paul Blart: Mall Cop 2 (Hear me out lol... it easily got the best reaction when I went to see SpongeBob 2. I think this'll inch past $100 million since it has zero family comedy competition until June 19) 

May-Aug

1. Avengers 2
  2. Pitch Perfect 2 
  3. Spy 
  4. Tomorrowland
  5. Paper Towns 
  6. Jurassic World
  7. Inside Out
  8. Ted 2 
  9. Terminator Genysis
  10. Minions
  11. Ant-Man
  12. Pixels 
  13. Trainwreck
  14. Mission Impossible 5
  15. The Fantastic Four
  16. Ricki and the Flash
  17. Straight Outta Compton 

Sep-Dec

1. The Maze Runner: The Scorch Trials 
  2. Hotel Transylvania 2 
  3. The Walk 
  4. Vacation
  5. St. James Place
  6. Crimson Peak
  7. Spectre
  8. The Peanuts Movie
  9. Mockingjay Part 2
  10. The Good Dinosaur
  11. Seth Rogen/JGL Christmas Movie
  12. Star Wars Episode VII 
  13. In the Heart of the Sea 
  14. Sisters 
  15. Joy
  16. The Hateful Eight 
Edited by mahnamahna
  • Like 2

Kingsman will come close, and fifty shades on either Thursday or Friday

It would be really good if Kingsman passed the mark. Fucking Taken 3 opened with 40M but those insanely bad legs killed it.

• Like 2

Pitch 2 won't clear 100m I don't understand the BOT obsession with predicting that.

As for the rest, we are having a really strong quarter so far.

Pitch 1 basically went "viral" after its release. It has become insanely popular, and while it may just be within my age demographic, we were able to power twilight and TFIOS to huge #s.
  • Like 4

Or it could just as easily not (think HSM3). If it does I will be surprised and pleasantly so but this site has a huge problem in general with over predicting.

HSM2 had 17 million viewers during its premiere. Thats a $120M OW in 2008 dollars. #4 all time highest OW. (Excluding the earlier times) Television always has been and still is, and likely always will be bigger than movies. Theres no way to expect HSM3 to match viewership of its cable predecessor. Transition from tv to film, or vice versa, isnt the same thing.

• Like 2

HSM2 had 17 million viewers during its premiere. Thats a $120M OW in 2008 dollars. #4 all time highest OW. (Excluding the earlier times) Television always has been and still is, and likely always will be bigger than movies. Theres no way to expect HSM3 to match viewership of its cable predecessor. Transition from tv to film, or vice versa, isnt the same thing.

I remember the first time I realized that HSM2 # my mind was blown!!
  • Like 1