grim22

The Greatest Showman | PT Barnum Biopic starring Hugh Jackman. Fox releasing. Christmas 2017

4 hours ago, That One Guy said:

There's someone on another forum insisting it's bad (he saw it at the advance screening). I see there's hate coming from all corners. I thought this looks like a crowd pleaser in making. Oh well. 

Edited by Valonqar
  • Like 2

2 minutes ago, Krissykins said:

Yeeesh. This looks so misguided.

Was he really all about people showing who they are? Or did he just put people on stage because they were "freaks"?

I didn't get that idea but I don't look for political incorrection in trailers and I'm sure GA doesn't either. That said, it doesn't strike me as an awards contender but it should make money. 

• Like 1

This seems to have get the Disney biopic's bleaching treatment. The real PT Barnum was a leggit skeevy snakecharmer of a conman who exploited people and animals for his lucrative ends like a business savvy cynical entertainer.(He basically posited that general audience is dumb so big dumb freakshow cattering to the lowest denominator will sell big). 

Funny that he was more like Robert Angier (his assholic character in The Prestige) but now Jackman seems to genuinely play him like a paternalistic but altruistic dreamer.

Edited by dashrendar44
  • Like 1

14 minutes ago, dashrendar44 said:

This seems to have get the Disney biopic's bleaching treatment. The real PT Barnum was a leggit skeevy snakecharmer of a conman who exploited people and animals for his lucrative ends like a business savvy cynical entertainer.(He basically posited that general audience is dumb so big dumb spectacle cattering to the lowest denominator will sell big). 

Funny that he was more like Robert Angier (his assholic character in The Prestige) but now Jackman seems to genuinely play him like a paternalistic but altruistic dreamer.

It's not a unique or new interpretation of Barnum.   The theater musical Barnum from the 1980s (Jim Dale, Michael Crawford etc) did the same, or at least showed him as much dreamer as huckster and showman - and it still gets revived. 

Edited by TalismanRing
  • Like 1

27 minutes ago, TalismanRing said:

It's not a unique or new interpretation of Barnum.   The theater musical Barnum from the 1980s (Jim Dale, Michael Crawford etc) did the same, or at least showed him as much dreamer as huckster and showman - and it still gets revived. 

Indeed the issue is the fact that it seems like a common revisionist glamorization of Barnum as the godfather of modern entertainment like those before it that keeps on avoiding the darkest side of the story to frame it as this uplifting tale of success. This movie sure won't rock the boat and paint Barnum with a grey brush.

Edited by dashrendar44

58 minutes ago, Valonqar said:

I didn't get that idea but I don't look for political incorrection in trailers and I'm sure GA doesn't either. That said, it doesn't strike me as an awards contender but it should make money. 

I don't look for political "incorrection" in trailers either. 

But this is jarring.

4 hours ago, Valonqar said:

There's someone on another forum insisting it's bad (he saw it at the advance screening). I see there's hate coming from all corners. I thought this looks like a crowd pleaser in making. Oh well. 

I am so lame for this, but here goes: I am already stanning for/shippping Zendaya's and Zac Efron's characters. That scene of her dressed in purple looking at him while hanging from a trapeze gave me chills; it looks so beautiful and haunting. I have no clue about who these people are, but I already want them to be together. In fact, I am looking forward to the movie, and it has nothing to do with PTB, and everything to do with Zendefron. :wub: :( :blush: 

• Like 1

it looks like a crowd pleaser. I think it will be a bit hit. The trailer is getting a pretty good reaction too. 

Sure there is the stuff about accuracy but I doubt audience will care much about that. 

7 hours ago, dashrendar44 said:

He basically posited that general audience is dumb so big dumb freakshow cattering to the lowest denominator will sell big).

Well, he is not wrong, you know.

Just look at the Transformers and all the other superhero stuff of nowadays...

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Cochofles said:

Loved it.

LOVED IT. :insane:

Jackman and Williams are great, but I am here for the Zendefron. Watch as their romance captivates audiences (I hope!)... :wub:

Are you a girl? How old?

The Shay is a 41 year old macho man, if I have to answer first.