grey ghost

Are studios happy with Kung Fu Panda 2 and POTC4 gross?

I think they will give KFP3 a chance. The first film was really well received and IMO the reason the second had a big domestic decrease is due to poor marketing from the studio. There was no message as to what the purpose or storyline of this sequel was. They just showed Po running around joking. Similar to Sherlock which did not reveal much of a plot in its marketing.

KFP 2 is doing terribly in DVD sales. It might be dead.Not really fair since Madagascar got a third entry, but then, it did do better.I will say that KFP wasn't as good as the original but it doesn't deserve to be outperformed by the dreck that was Cars 2. But then again it's America, so obviously it'd do better. Who wouldn't want Larry the Cable Guy teaching their kids that it's okay to be an uninformed, rude and immature douchebag wherever you are in the world.

KFP 2 is doing terribly in DVD sales. It might be dead.Not really fair since Madagascar got a third entry, but then, it did do better.I will say that KFP wasn't as good as the original but it doesn't deserve to be outperformed by the dreck that was Cars 2. But then again it's America, so obviously it'd do better. Who wouldn't want Larry the Cable Guy teaching their kids that it's okay to be an uninformed, rude and immature douchebag wherever you are in the world.

KFP2's performance is still a mystery. It's relatively poor BO performance and it's poor DVD sales. It's just not making any sense.

This thread reminds me that I had a conversation with Jerry Bruckheimer about the same topic. His first reply went something like: "billion #*&^% bucks, man!" Then I inquired about the domestic to overseas ratio and whether it didn't concern him in any way and he said something to the extent of: "As long as I've got enough greens to bury myself in cocaine then it's all good, ya know what I'm sayin?" After that I asked about Disney executives and got as an answer: "Well, to tell ya the truth one of 'em did ring me and said we oughta make it more, what was it? Oh, relateable to US audience. Like, put a black pirate into the mix or somethin. But then I told him to better think how best to mix that coke with LSD, coz I need some vision for a Kangaroo Jack sequel. And we ended at that, I think."

I hope that will resolve all the uncertainties you may presently feel regarding this issue.

• Like 2

Based purely on Box Office receipts, which movie (Cars2 or KFP2) made more money for its respective studio?

Assuming 55% for DOM, 17% for China and 50% for the rest of OS:

Cars 2

DOM: 105M

China: 2M

Rest OS: 174M

Total: 281M

KFP2

DOM: 91M

China: 16M

Rest OS: 203M

Total: 310M

So KFP2 got the studio around 30M more than Cars 2. Comparing with KFP, it got around 8M less, which isn't that big of a difference (and since KFP2 was more frontloaded than KFP in most markets, there might not even be a difference).