grim22

Weekend #s: Neeson 40.4M, Selma 11.2, ITW 9.75, Hobbit 9.4, Unbroken 8.3. All #s pg 15. Happy now Kayu?

Thoughts:

Great opening for Taken 3.

Decent start for Selma. I always felt the buzz for it was on the quiet side due to the lack of awards attention so far. That said, audiences are gonna love it, so legs should be fantastic (unless it somehow pulls a Get on Up and sees a baffling collapse in the weeks ahead).

Huge drop for The Hobbit; will it still catch the second one? I'm guessing Into the Woods and Unbroken will continue to quickly fade considering the reception for both of them seems to be on the tepid side.

Inherent Vice could've done worse although it's probably just gonna die completely from here.

American Sniper, holy shit! I'm really starting to think the January record is going to be completely obliterated next weekend.

• Like 2

Liam Neeson is gonna get a call from FOX executives really soon about another 25M paycheck...

Liam, this is Stalin, I know you pronounce it Stallone. Did you give any thought to Expendables 4 yet?

Neeson: If you call me again, I will find you and I will kill you.

• Like 8

Liam, this is Stalin, I know you pronounce it Stallone. Did you give any thought to Expendables 4 yet?

Neeson: If you call me again, I will find you and I will kill you.

Oh yeah, this movie just did more on OW than Expendables 3 on his DOM total. Didn't even thought about it :lol: 

I am sure they already tried that and he said no. 

• Like 1

Taken numbers are very strong given how disliked taken 2 was and given this is January. (40m opening in January is very strong)

Next weekend will be a big determining factor. Will Selma and Imitation pull good increases? Can some of the more run Oscar contenders rebound back up to decent numbers (Theory and Gone Girl going over 1-2m)? How will the four openers do?

Birdman crashed and burned over here. What a shame. And even in America it didn't do anything special. Unbroken exploded on Saturday and will have a massive OW here. Hoping for other countries to also contribute for the movie in this way.

• Like 1

I could see American Sniper open as high as $60M at this point. The Wedding Ringer and Paddington will do pretty well. Blackhat looks like a dud waiting to happen.

Blackhat is this year's Jack Ryan, but it should do even worse than that one. They should have delayed it to September.

I could see American Sniper open as high as $60M at this point. The Wedding Ringer and Paddington will do pretty well. Blackhat looks like a dud waiting to happen.

I can't see 60m, but 40-mid 50m should be in play, especially if it gets a BP nomination (which looks possible right now)