baumer

Baumer's/Tele's/Chas' 25 films that have brainwashed people into mindless adulation (Tele pg 26)

NUMBER 8 - IT'S A WONDERFUL LIFE

26th on IMDB top 250 all time list, 1 Oscar Nomination, 1 Golden Globe win.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3BocbAX5AdQ

So in my last post I revealed the little known secret that Flight of the Navigator is superior to E.T. and now I'm gonna drop some more little known knowledge: Family Man is so much better than this pile of sewage it isn't even a race. Another occasion when the original cinema goers of the time got things so so right, only for home video and TV to screw it all up so we have to sit through this mess every year, this is a pretentious, cheese filled orgy of corn that really needed to be pronounced dead on arrival to cinemas.

The concept is a good one (hence why Cage pulled it off so much better 50 years later) , but this film is a grade A example as to why younger audiences will never give Black and White films a chance as this is likely one of the first ones that will be thrust upon them (especially at Xmas time when it lines up against about 35 other superior xmas-themed films) and so the intense mediocrity of it will mean that true classics (Casablanca take a bow) may not get the look in they deserve.

(Also I can't be the only person on the planet who cannot go more than about 7 minute listening to Jimmy Stewart talk before I go crazy and want to burn things? It's not really a legimate reason to hate on a film like how explaining Cage can pull off the same role better is, but my heart just sinks every time i see Stewart is starring in a film and no other actor can manage this by mere voice alone.)

tumblr_n8ddlkEhUU1qj2x48o8_250.gif

This entire post is a complete fail.  But the Nicholas Cage doing it better than Jimmy Stewart part, and by extension Brett Hack Ratner over Frank Capra, is sheer derangement.

• Like 3

This is very much a spur-of-the-moment list and it's almost certain that if I were to do it again at a different time, the order might be somewhat different and even some other films might make an appearance. Here are a couple more that were under heavy consideration and didn't quite make the cut this time:

A Beautiful Mind

Star Trek (2009)

The Sound of Music

Men in Black

Independence Day

So you basically don't like entertaining movies :P

• Like 2

NUMBER 7 - JAWS

210th IMDB, 150th WW, 74th Dom, 7th Adjusted

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z7PYqhABiSo

Ok last one for today as I need to go into hiding before I get lynched. This film was not as bad to me as E.T and some of the others on this list but it is incredibly meh. It's possibly that due to it's age, maybe I was too old and too accustomed to the more effective effects of the 90's to be scared, awed or in any way impressed by this film.

The fact is that what I felt I had watched when I saw this film was a shark film with almost no shark in it (lots of fins and flailing people, but not enough shark) and when the shark does actually arrive, it looks like a cheap animatronic from one of the rides at the theme you accidentally get on mistaking it for the roller coaster you see behind it and get subjected to the happy little pixie picnic instead for 12 minutes.

The music is amazing of course and it's by no means bad, just a bit empty and hamstrung by the technology of the time. It is posslble that it Jaws and Jurassic Park had been made in the opposite's year then I'd be praising the amazing groundbreaking shark film of 1994 and sitting here now finishing off a bad written set of reasons why that 1970's T-Rex film was nowhere near as good as people say it was.

I'm gonna go hide now.   

Edited by chasmmi
  • Like 3

The top 6 back away slightly from the all time classics of yore (in general) and more onto the films that I just plain can't see why they get the fuss they get.

Will do 4-6 tomorrow (my tomorrow) and you will all get to crucify over an entry in a Beloved Franchise, a film by an all-time great Director and a performance by one of Oscar's most popular actors :)

Till then. Peace! :D

• Like 1

Maybe when this is done I should do a "25 underappreciated movies", just to restore my karmic balance. :lol:

I've been very tempted to do the same.

Partly because it would be fun and partly because I feel more confortable praising films than trying to rip into them (except for when I genuinely hated something which is actually not as often as my thread would make it appear.)

• Like 2

18. Robin Hood: Prince of Thieves

robin-hood-prince-of-thieves_movie-poste

In the summer of '91, I was really looking forward to this. It had a cool trailer, marketing was everywhere, Kevin Costner was one of the big stars of the time, I was certain it was going to be this awesome, kickass, fun movie. And, to that point in my life, I pretty much loved everything I saw. I remember walking out of the theater trying to process what I felt, how letdown I felt. The movie's a complete mess, every major character basically in their own, different movie. Costner is too brooding and mopey, Slater is the smartass who feels completely out-of-place, Alan Rickman is in a Monty Python comedy, Morgan Freeman as some random Moor... oh god oh god. The movie isn't absurd enough to be funny as a trainwreck, not cool enough to work as an action-adventure, there's no chemistry between Costner and Mastrantonio, it's just a complete slog.

(Six months later HOOK came out and was the exact same sort of disaster, only much worse... but it's not highly regarded enough to make this list.)

I'm pretty sure despite this movie being a big hit when it was originally released, it's not really considered to be a classic, so I don't why you put it on this list. Personally I think it's entertaining enough. 

Edited by Fancyarcher
  • Like 1

19. The Dark Knight

the_dark_knight_poster.jpg

Oh boy.

This is another one -- a movie that I really enjoy, has some strengths and moments of greatness, but is also held up as the absolute pinnacle of film-making, as one of the greatest films ever made. And.... it isn't. For all the scope and grandeur and Nolan's (mostly successful) efforts at paying homage to a Michael Mann-esque crime saga, this is the first of his movies that starts to show the seams of trying to pack too much story into a fairly fixed length of time. As a result, it feels like a great film that ends about 2 hours in, and an awkward sort-of coda that runs another 30 minutes and quickly tries to fully introduce another major villain, Batman's fall from grace (in the eyes of the public) and a complete resolution in a really sort amount of time. Nolan manages to end on a high note, which is why I think most people tend to forget, ignore, or forgive the awkwardness.

A great movie. Just not an all-time great forevermore.

OH NO YOU DIDN'T! 

• Like 3