lilmac

What boxoffice runs are unbelievable in retrospect?

Needless to say the fact that Gone with the wind made thrice the amount just two years later and has an adjusted gross of around 800m $ more than it (snow white) is super mind blowing!!!!

I do wonder whether we'll see another Gone with the Wind type epic in this century.

• Like 1

I do wonder whether we'll see another Gone with the Wind type epic in this century.

I mean, maybe somebody will make a movie of that scope sure.

But in terms of box office performance? There are too many factors related to the time, and the way media was available and consumed which basically mean no, we won't. There are just myriads of options available today versus then that say to me, not happening again.

Unless the apocalypse happens and we start over.

• Like 2

I mean, maybe somebody will make a movie of that scope sure.

But in terms of box office performance? There are too many factors related to the time, and the way media was available and consumed which basically mean no, we won't. There are just myriads of options available today versus then that say to me, not happening again.

Unless the apocalypse happens and we start over.

The closest film to GWTW that captured the public's imagination was Titanic. Gone with the Wind I imagine would have an even bigger hit internationally had it not been for WWII. 

• Like 2

The closest film to GWTW that captured the public's imagination was Titanic. Gone with the Wind I imagine would have an even bigger hit internationally had it not been for WWII.

Titanic most likely sold more tickets than GWTW and didn't need a shit load of re-releases to do it.

Titanic most likely sold more tickets than GWTW and didn't need a shit load of re-releases to do it.

BOM says Titanic sold 128M tickets in its first run. In 1940 (when GWTW was still in limited road show engagements, higher prices, but it didn't go into general release until 1941) the census had the US population at 132M total. People did go the movies a lot more often then, but the US had more than double the population by 1997 (272M). Theoretically, a four quadrant movie now could sell more tickets than a four quadrant movie back then simply because there are more potential customers. Not that it works out that way in practice, as there are simply many more options to watching a movie in theaters than there were back in 1940.  Still, the box office for both films is the best of the best.

Edited by BoxOfficeChica

BOM says Titanic sold 128M tickets in its first run. In 1940 (when GWTW was still in limited road show engagements, higher prices, but it didn't go into general release until 1941) the census had the US population at 132M total. People did go the movies a lot more often then, but the US had more than double the population by 1997 (272M). Theoretically, a four quadrant movie now could sell more tickets than a four quadrant movie back then simply because there are more potential customers. Not that it works out that way in practice, as there are simply many more options to watching a movie in theaters than there were back in 1940.  Still, the box office for both films is the best of the best.

I was talking Worldwide