lilmac

What boxoffice runs are unbelievable in retrospect?

Gonna do my picks for each year since 2010:

2016 (so far) - Deadpool.  An R-rated superhero movie that made 360M+ DOM (more than Batman fighting Superman) and was a worldwide hit still astonishes me.  Honorable mentions: Secret Life of Pets, Zootopia, Jungle Book, Finding Dory, Bad Moms

2015 - Jurassic World.  I think most people were expecting this to do well.  I doubt most people were predicting it'd make 650M+ and almost win the year in box office (behind Star Wars of course).  Honorable mentions: Star Wars (obviously), Inside Out, Furious 7, The Martian, Revenant.

2014 - American Sniper.  Done, no more discussion.  No fucking contest.  It's a Clint Eastwood war drama that won the year over a new Hunger Games, a shit-ton of Marvel movies, and more.  Honorable Mentions: Guardians, LEGO Movie, 22 Jump Street, TMNT, Gone Girl.

2013 - Frozen.  An original Disney animation that crossed 400M DOM and started a worldwide phenomenon.  There was no contest from the beginning.  Honorable mentions: Gravity, Catching Fire, Iron Man 3, Despicable Me 2, World War Z.

2012 - The Avengers.  Pfft, Marvel characters teaming up?  Eh...only the Iron Man films were really big.  Who cares about these other characters.  300M total...  Honorable mentions: Skyfall, Hunger Games, Ted, Lincoln, Django.

2011 - Bridesmaids.  This year honestly didn't have that many surprises.  However, I don't think anyone was expecting this film to make much more than 50M.  Honorable mentions: Hangover II, Fast Five, The Help, Deathly Hallows, MI: Ghost Protocol.

2010 - Inception.  An original sci-fi film that nearly makes 300M?  Jesus... Honorable mentions: Alice in Wonderland, Toy Story 3, Despicable Me, True Grit, The Karate Kid.

• Like 3

15 minutes ago, That One Guy said:

2011 - Bridesmaids.  This year honestly didn't have that many surprises.  However, I don't think anyone was expecting this film to make much more than 50M.  

My 162m summer game prediction for it is still my best box office moment. I remember exactly two other people predicted 130-140m for it too. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, That One Guy said:

Jurassic World was the more surprising breakout of the year tbh.

Still, in ten years, nobody will remember Jurassic World s run and no film will have surpassed Force Awkens.

Edited by The Futurist
  • Like 2
  • Knock It Off 1

5 minutes ago, That One Guy said:

No one will remember a dead franchise coming back from the dead and smashing multiple records and entering the top 3 domestic of all time upon its release, only a few million behind Titanic?

If it wasn't for that JW is bookended by American Sniper right before it and TFA right behind it...It's a hard field to stand out in.

4 hours ago, cannastop said:

I don't think people fully appreciate how huge TFA was.

TFA had an amazing run but it was not surprising  as if any film would make that much money, a Star Wars movie with the original cast would. Performances like Deadpool, American Sniper, and Jurassic World were far more surprising

• Like 6

4 hours ago, That One Guy said:

Gonna do my picks for each year since 2010:

2016 (so far) - Deadpool.  An R-rated superhero movie that made 360M+ DOM (more than Batman fighting Superman) and was a worldwide hit still astonishes me.  Honorable mentions: Secret Life of Pets, Zootopia, Jungle Book, Finding Dory, Bad Moms

2015 - Jurassic World.  I think most people were expecting this to do well.  I doubt most people were predicting it'd make 650M+ and almost win the year in box office (behind Star Wars of course).  Honorable mentions: Star Wars (obviously), Inside Out, Furious 7, The Martian, Revenant.

2014 - American Sniper.  Done, no more discussion.  No fucking contest.  It's a Clint Eastwood war drama that won the year over a new Hunger Games, a shit-ton of Marvel movies, and more.  Honorable Mentions: Guardians, LEGO Movie, 22 Jump Street, TMNT, Gone Girl.

2013 - Frozen.  An original Disney animation that crossed 400M DOM and started a worldwide phenomenon.  There was no contest from the beginning.  Honorable mentions: Gravity, Catching Fire, Iron Man 3, Despicable Me 2, World War Z.

2012 - The Avengers.  Pfft, Marvel characters teaming up?  Eh...only the Iron Man films were really big.  Who cares about these other characters.  300M total...  Honorable mentions: Skyfall, Hunger Games, Ted, Lincoln, Django.

2011 - Bridesmaids.  This year honestly didn't have that many surprises.  However, I don't think anyone was expecting this film to make much more than 50M.  Honorable mentions: Hangover II, Fast Five, The Help, Deathly Hallows, MI: Ghost Protocol.

2010 - Inception.  An original sci-fi film that nearly makes 300M?  Jesus... Honorable mentions: Alice in Wonderland, Toy Story 3, Despicable Me, True Grit, The Karate Kid.

how? If anything that movie should have made more.  And how is DH2 unbelievable 

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Joel M said:

Pirates was completely an afterthought at the start of that summer. It wasn't just Matrix Reloaded ahead of it. Expectations for T3, Hulk and even the Charlie's Angels sequel were bigger than whatever POTC was expected to make. It sounds crazy in hindsight but it looked very risky at the time. 140m budget, based on a theme park ride, part of an infamously dead genre and starring weirdo Johnny Depp. Many even saw it as nothing more than an uber-expensive Disney ad for their theme parks.

That was all Johnny Depp

6 hours ago, cannastop said:

Oh I definitely do. Still trying to wrap my mind around the fact that we just had a (virtual) $1 billion unadjusted grossing movie. Yea, that actually happened. This is real. 

While it didn't have the creeping awareness factor of MBFGW or the novelty of Avatar the sheer size of those weekend and weekday grosses is utterly amazing. Top 5 run of all time (MBFGW and Avatar being ahead of it IMO)!

I'd like to throw The Ring into contention fr impressive box office runs.  It did 129m a very, very good gross for a horror movie, albeit quite an expensive one.  But look at how it did it...15m opening weekend, then it increased the following week to 18m, then third week?  18m.  4th week back to 15m but higher than week one.

Horror movies don't have legs.  That one really really did.  It's no Sixth Sense, but it's impressive.

• Like 3

On 10/10/2016 at 4:38 PM, cannastop said:

Totally agree. It surpassed both Empire and ROTJ adjusted (also the prequels, but who cares about the prequels) - which both had re-releases -, and placed 11th on the all time adjusted list, just inches away from a top 10 spot. For a film opened in this day and age - where there's so much competing entertainment + films burn out quick since they are soon available in home video -, it's a momentous achievement. It beat all possible expectations.

• Like 2