lilmac

What boxoffice runs are unbelievable in retrospect?

On 5/25/2018 at 1:32 PM, Juby said:

Another version of E.T. worldwide number before 2002 re-release:

http://www.tcm.com/tcmdb/title/80025/Jurassic-Park/misc-notes.html

"The previous record holder was Spielberg's own "E.T." (USA/1982), which eventually grossed $701 million." So, without domestic gross, OS should have been around $301 mln... Maybe.

Another article proves that E.T.'s numbers on Mojo (and everywhere alse, cause almost every site copy data from Mojo) are bullshit. Foreign gross is overestimated around $23M.

https://www.upi.com/Archives/1993/10/04/Jurassic-Park-sets-worldwide-box-office-record/6745749707200/

'E.T.' grossed $359.2 million domestically and $281.3 million overseas in its initial 1982 release, and tacked on another $40 million domestically and $20 million overseas during its re-release in 1985 for a combined $701.4 million worldwide.

• Like 1

On 5/25/2018 at 5:02 PM, Juby said:

Another version of E.T. worldwide number before 2002 re-release:

http://www.tcm.com/tcmdb/title/80025/Jurassic-Park/misc-notes.html

"The previous record holder was Spielberg's own "E.T." (USA/1982), which eventually grossed $701 million." So, without domestic gross, OS should have been around $301 mln... Maybe.

All numbers on these sites are reported by Distributor, has nothing to do with Mojo.

• Like 1

After the last Marvel flick, it's been one financial Disney dud after the other, including the December musical, which if weren't priced so high would join the previous two December musicals with a fairly solid hold.

Same goes for Universal apart from HalloweenThe Grinch.   

I had Venom & Into the Spider-verse flipped in terms of how they would resonate. I certainly did not expect that massive of a gross for Venom.

Aquaman was relatively more predictable, yet nonetheless unbelievable next to WB's & DC's previous flicks. 

Edited by 2kt09
  • Like 1

Black Panther is in my top 10. The DOM figure has been talk about enough around here, but for the OS figures are even more impressive in that it completely broke multiple misconceptions that can be summed up as: "FOREIGNERS DON'T WANT TO WATCH MOVIES WITH BLACK PEOPLE, ESPECIALLY THOSE RACIST CHINESE."

Bohemian Rhapsody definitely belongs here now, especially after its bonkers OS run. A biopic with a gay lead making ~$850 million WW by the end of its run is unprecedented. And unlike many films which cross $800 million WW, Bohemian Rhapsody did it with zero help from China. 

• Like 3

There are others as well but since it's recent one. Bohemian Rhapsody.

I watched film last night, its just good, something that should have finished at $250-300mn but its doing $550-575mn internationally. That's ridiculous.

And it's not that it opened big but its the legs that are ridiculous IMO. I generally like leggy runs but when I don't like any film that much, it becomes nuisance to me.

• Like 2

14 hours ago, KP1025 said:

Bohemian Rhapsody definitely belongs here now, especially after its bonkers OS run. A biopic with a gay lead making ~$850 million WW by the end of its run is unprecedented. And unlike many films which cross $800 million WW, Bohemian Rhapsody did it with zero help from China. 

I'm not that surprised by this. Queen was one of the biggest music acts in history. Only the likes of The Beatles, Elvis, Michael Jackson or ABBA were bigger than them. They were also bigger in the rest of the world comparatively than in the U.S.

Edited by tomknff

23 minutes ago, tomknff said:

I'm not that surprised by this. Queen was one of the biggest music acts in history. Only the likes of The Beatles, Elvis, Michael Jackson or ABBA were bigger than them. They were also bigger in the rest of the world comparatively than in the U.S.

Surprising is the legs of film, opening wasn't that big. 

5 hours ago, tomknff said:

Although it's hardly an exact science, Elton John reportedly is a bigger selling artist than Queen worldwide which makes me very curious about how well Rocketman will do. But Elton being alive currently and active probably makes demand for a biopic a little less intense than Mercury whose legend grew after his early death.

• Like 1

On 1/24/2019 at 11:19 PM, Rebeccas said:

Although it's hardly an exact science, Elton John reportedly is a bigger selling artist than Queen worldwide which makes me very curious about how well Rocketman will do. But Elton being alive currently and active probably makes demand for a biopic a little less intense than Mercury whose legend grew after his early death.

As someone who was born in the mid-80s Elton John is the guy that sang in Diana's funeral and that's about it. His only song I knew growing up was Tiny Dancer because of Almost Famous and that movie is not exactly a huge classic that everyone remembers. He was huge but his music hasn't crossed over to new generations like the other ones mentioned. For all we know teens of today might think he is Ed Sheeran's dad and that's why he is famous.

• Like 3

23 minutes ago, Joel M said:

As someone who was born in the mid-80s Elton John is the guy that sang in Diana's funeral and that's about it. His only song I knew growing up was Tiny Dancer because of Almost Famous and that movie is not exactly a huge classic that everyone remembers. He was huge but his music hasn't crossed over to new generations like the other ones mentioned. For all we know teens of today might think he is Ed Sheeran's dad and that's why he is famous.

What about The Lion King?

• Like 1

31 minutes ago, Rebeccas said:

What about The Lion King?

Ehh they 're Disney songs. People might know that he's behind them as a trivia, but has anyone ever said "Hakuna matata, what a great Elton John song"?. And even if they did, the Elton biopic would be about his peak years in the 70s. What's Elton John's iconic songs from his heyday? I have no idea.

• Like 1

Infinity War. People said that the first avengers was the cap for superhero movies and that it would decline from ultron (specially after the CW numbers) and still the movie went on to gross 2 billion. Absolutely massive and legendary. Its THE movie of this decade. 

90s - Titanic

00s - Avatar

10s - Infinity War 

Edited by GraceRandolph

1 hour ago, GraceRandolph said:

Infinity War. People said that the first avengers was the cap for superhero movies and that it would decline from ultron (specially after the CW numbers) and still the movie went on to gross 2 billion. Absolutely massive and legendary. Its THE movie of this decade. 

90s - Titanic

00s - Avatar

10s - Infinity War and The Force Awakens

Fixed

The difference between both is what each did in USA and in China. If we exclude those 2 countries, and next to Titanic and Avatar, both films are the only ones which did $1b OS without China (1.010b IW and 1.007b SW7).

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, peludo said:

Fixed

The difference between both is what each did in USA and in China. If we exclude those 2 countries, and next to Titanic and Avatar, both films are the only ones which did $1b OS without China (1.010b IW and 1.007b SW7).

I still think Infinity War is more impressive since it was released during summer and the competition was more packed. I can't even begin to imagine how much it would have grossed with a December release. 

On 2/1/2019 at 11:43 AM, GraceRandolph said:

I still think Infinity War is more impressive since it was released during summer and the competition was more packed. I can't even begin to imagine how much it would have grossed with a December release. 

That makes me think that Disney could have changed the schedule to release Avengers at Christmas instead Star Wars...

• Thanks 1

On 1/14/2015 at 10:31 PM, Christmas baumer said:

Naaaa...Jessie's right.

Name the last film to open to 50 million or more than had a 10...hell an 8 multiplier.  

Can I say Jumanji 2. Pretty please.

I think he is right. Avatar run was nothing like Titanic. Nothing. It was leggy but not Titanic leggy.

• Like 2