lilmac

What boxoffice runs are unbelievable in retrospect?

On 1/29/2019 at 12:51 PM, Joel M said:

As someone who was born in the mid-80s Elton John is the guy that sang in Diana's funeral and that's about it. His only song I knew growing up was Tiny Dancer because of Almost Famous and that movie is not exactly a huge classic that everyone remembers. He was huge but his music hasn't crossed over to new generations like the other ones mentioned. For all we know teens of today might think he is Ed Sheeran's dad and that's why he is famous.

An Elton John greatest hits album is currently 30 spots higher on US iTunes than Taylor Swift's most recent studio album.

• Like 1

On 1/24/2019 at 9:41 AM, Charlie Jatinder said:

There are others as well but since it's recent one. Bohemian Rhapsody.

I watched film last night, its just good, something that should have finished at $250-300mn but its doing $550-575mn internationally. That's ridiculous.

And it's not that it opened big but its the legs that are ridiculous IMO. I generally like leggy runs but when I don't like any film that much, it becomes nuisance to me.

It's somewhat inexplicable/embarrassing, but I guess their catalog of hits (which is quite strong, to be fair) is that indelible with the public. 

Edited by Jiffy
  • Like 1

I can see leggy blockbusters becoming increasingly rare and we'll see fewer performances like ASIB, BR and even smaller films like Green Book. Studios will want to get as much boxoffice as possibly - quickly - before moving their films to streaming platforms.

On 2/1/2019 at 5:34 AM, peludo said:

Fixed

The difference between both is what each did in USA and in China. If we exclude those 2 countries, and next to Titanic and Avatar, both films are the only ones which did $1b OS without China (1.010b IW and 1.007b SW7).

In terms of box office gross, I'd agree.  In terms impact on box office trends and cultural influence, I'd have to go with neither TFA or IW, but the first Avengers.  

The Avengers single-handedly catapulted the superhero genre into what it is now.  If the Avengers hadn't happened, the box office landscape would look completely different.  I mean, there'd still be superhero movies, but there wouldn't be multiple billion dollar grossing superhero movies each year.  Superheroes would just be another genre at the box office instead of the genre.  I doubt we'd have gotten something like as risky as Deadpool, characters as obscure as Black Panther and the Guardians, or a concept as out there as Spider-Verse.  While TFA was a monster hit, I don't think you can say that it changed the Box Office landscape meaningfully.

The second point (cultural influence) is a lot harder to prove.  My personal experience, among my social group and the online communities I frequent, is that The Avengers is a lot more memorable than TFA.  The circle shot. 'I understood that reference' 'I'm always angry' 'We have a hulk'.  I'll admit this could be due to self selection and that there are going to be plenty who disagree.  Ultimately, I do think the proof is in the pudding though.  The cinematic universe spawned by the Avengers has been much more successful than the Sequel Trilogy and spinoffs spawned by TFA.  

• Like 5

2 hours ago, keysersoze123 said:

Nothing beats Endgame. almost 40% increase from previous record just set an year ago and that is the biggest increase since Return of the Jedi when OW were quite small.

Nope. The Lost World and Batman increased more than Endgame with their previous (both over 40%). Endgame is the fourth.

• Like 1

I’d say for this year probably The Upside considering it’s issues with studios and dumped in January.

Alita’s final domestic gross wasn’t bad for its genre although it was quite far away from its budget. 

For the 90’s I’d probably say the turn out for horror films like Halloween H20 or I Know What You Did Last Summer outgrossing bombs such as Alien:Ressurrection among other titles for example. However, that’s been discussed on the 90’s box office retrospective years ago when @baumer made that thread, which I had fun talking in that thread and miss it.

• Like 2

The thing is movie runs have been more compressed then they once were for a long time.

The big road show hits before the death of the Road Show..which I still regret....would stay in theaters for nearly a year in the road show theaters, then go out in General Release. Of course with the road show run it was only playing in one theater per city..even in New York and Los Angeles.

Sound Of Music was in theaters for nearly three years in it's first release, then Fox would release it once every couple years until it was sold for TV.

Dr Zhivago was the same;it rereleases kept MGM afloat in the early 70's when MGM was on the verge of Bankruptcy.

Most impressive run of the decade. Combining their raw box office gross, how unexpected and how rare it was and staying power over the course of run.

1. Alice in the wonderland (Head-scratching of the decade)

2. Inception

3. Skyfall

4. Intouchable (400m+ for a french film??) 

4. Frozen

5. Gravity

6. American sniper

7. SW7  

8. Deadpool

9. Zootopia

10. Jumanji welcome to Jungle

11. Wolf warrior 2

12. Baahubali 2

13. Bohemian Rhapsody

14. Avengers : Endgame 

15. Joker

• Like 1

We’ve gotten to the point where Endgame is starting to feel unbelievable in retrospect for me. I mean a big movie will come out, and I’ll look back at Endgame’s opening numbers, and it’s like... how was that even real. Maybe it’s just a collective hallucination 🤔

In my view:
Most jaw-dropping opening weekends of the decade - Endgame, The Avengers, Jurassic World, Deadpool and American Sniper (wide release).

Most jaw-dropping runs of the decade - Frozen, Wonder Woman, Get Out, Jumanji: Welcome to the Jungle and The Greatest Showman.

2017 was a blessing for crazy runs wasn't it? Although, Jumanji and The Greatest Showman made most of their money in early 2018. The reason I opted for TGS ahead of movies like Joker is that the narrative shifted so dramatically from the former being labelled a flop to becoming a global smash-hit, whereas with Joker I had an incline from the opening weekend that it was going to end up doing insane business.

I feel bad not mentioning The Force Awakens in either of those lists but its performance wasn't as shocking to me once the pre-sale info was revealed, despite the thrill of seeing it generate box-office figures we had never witnessed before.

• Like 1

On 1/13/2015 at 1:24 PM, stripe said:

Cast Away? Gladiator? Meet the Parents? Nothing trully special/unbeliavable

GLADIATOR's success was a big surprise. Sword and sandal movies had been dead since the 1960s, Ridley Scott hadn't had a hit since THELMA AND LOUISE, Russell Crowe was not a box office draw. No one expected it to be the #2 movie of the year.

It rebirth the historical Hollywood epic, revitalized Scott's career and made Crowe a star.

Also surprising was its huge success with women with Maximus being voted the #1 most desirable man at the time.

• Like 1