lilmac

What boxoffice runs are unbelievable in retrospect?

20 years is a long time. That's an entire generation who didn't get to see it in theaters. Plus, they added some scenes and stuff to the movie.

It's now been about 20 yrs since the reissue.  

Fun fact: If you watch Star Wars starting with Episode 1, it only gets better!

• Like 3

AVATAR's *third* weekend was 70m, and its OW was only 77m. That's absolutely insane in this modern blockbuster era, no matter how you slice it.

Going way back... how about THE GODFATHER?

Adjusted, it's bigger than AVENGERS, from some guy whose main claim to fame was writing PATTON. (Yes, I know it was a best-selling book, but still).

• Like 7

20 years is a long time. That's an entire generation who didn't get to see it in theaters. Plus, they added some scenes and stuff to the movie.

Titanic did $57m 15 years later and The Lion King $96m 17 years later, and both are not precisely small movies. $243m for a re-release is just absurd. What Star Wars did in 1997 was definitely crazy. Movies that last year did similar numbers were Maleficent, X-Men or Transformers.

• Like 6

That awkward moment when for a brief window in 2010 the billion dollar movie list was Avatar, Titanic, ROTK, Dead Man's Chest, The Dark Knight...................... an alice in wonderland..

I mean the reason is obviously because of the 3D but still never would have thought that would happen

• Like 1
  • Astonished 1

Since apparently I am one of the few that was around for this :P

E.T. 's run was pretty incredible too.  

I mean it was number one or two for the weekends for I think 19 straight weeks, then became #1 again on something like it's 25 and 26th weekend.

• Like 4

yeah because films manage a 10 times multiplier all the time, its just so normal. After that post you may as well put a big sign over your head saying 'hey everyone, I don't know what the fuck im talking about'

:)

Avatar had a good, strong run, starting high, with low drops, but had nothing even close to Titanic's legs.

A typical movie makes half its final gross in the first ten days, give or take a couple.

Titanic, 44.

Avatar had 16 weekends where it grossed a million dollars or more.

Titanic had 30, unadjusted.

Titanic's run was as far beyond Avatar's as Avatar's was beyond average.

• Like 2

Patton was great you lousy hun bastard.

Patton is a classic war film and likely made Patton one of the most well known WW2 Generals of American History. 

Yes, I know. :lol: And he won an Academy award for it. But it's like Stephen Gaghan or or Peter Morgan or Mark Boal stepping up and delivering a $600m behemoth.

• Like 1

Avatar had a good, strong run, starting high, with low drops, but had nothing even close to Titanic's legs.

A typical movie makes half its final gross in the first ten days, give or take a couple.

Titanic, 44.

Beyond average? That's a funny way of putting it. Just because it didn't have as good legs as Titanic (what does) it doesn't change the fact that it had phenomenal legs. To put things into perspective Avengers had good legs and opened to 207m, it's 3rd weekend was still far below Avatar's. Gravity first weekend drop of 20% is a steep drop in comparison to Avatar drop. If you took every other weekend out of avatars run, it would have still had amazing drops.....

77m

69m

42m

31m

23m

if you took every other week away from its gross it will have still been the highest grossing movie of the year.

saying Avatar had beyond an average run is a laughable understatement

Edited by jessie
  • Like 7

I saw Robin Hood Prince of Thieves for the first time not too long ago and it's fucking astounding it reached almost 400 mil WW and was #2 of that year... outgrossing even Beauty and the Beast. What the hell, 1991.

It wasn't too surprising at the time.

Yes, I know. :lol: And he won an Academy award for it. But it's like Stephen Gaghan or or Peter Morgan or Mark Boal stepping up and delivering a $600m behemoth.

Or Joss Whedon?

• Like 1

Titanic, 44.

Oh, and I probably should have mentioned, since the post I quoted dealt with multipliers:

Titanic's was 20.98

Just because Arnold doesn't look as big as Wilt Chamberlain, doesnt meant we could say Arnold had a normal-shaped body lol

tumblr_ni71zlux441u8tg2so1_400.jpg

• Like 7

Touché, although that was essentially a continuation of several successful franchises, which knocks the surprise factor down a touch (granted, basically no one expected 600m).

Yeah, it was a surprise in degrees, but not in scope. (And, FWIW, Whedon probably was only a small part of it getting that big.)

• Like 1

That awkward moment when for a brief window in 2010 the billion dollar movie list was Avatar, Titanic, ROTK, Dead Man's Chest, The Dark Knight...................... an alice in wonderland..

I mean the reason is obviously because of the 3D but still never would have thought that would happen

Just curious....was TDK a member of that club before the 2012 re-release?